How do you make your sweet potato?

Options
13»

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into rounds and sprinkle green onion, herbs, garlic and feta. Bake for 20 minutes on 450...yummmmmmmmm

sounds awesome
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the skin, peel them then mash them with chipolte paste, coconut milk, cilantro, a bit of cinnamon and juice of half a lime then salt and pepper to taste.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My daughter will not eat sweet potatoes, and I DO NOT get it! They taste like candy!!

Sometimes I mash them and put in sugar free maple syrup. OMG...YUMMO!
    Mostly, like most others...I bake it in the microwave for 5+ minutes and eat it with butter or cinnamon/sugar or honey. It's an easy side.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I slice mine into small wedges. (maybe 8-12 wedges per potato) Toss it in some evoo,salt, garlic powder, chili powder and paprika. Spread in a heavy duty roasting pan. Roast on 425 until the bottom of the potato is slightly browned, turn over the wedges and cook on the other side.

Dip in greek yogurt YUM YUM YUM
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great ideas folks! I started making my own energy blocks (think natural Shot Bloks) by cubing and baking sweet potatoes. So good on the trail or during a long run. I also have been experimenting with baked sweet potato chips. One thing I have read do every time I'm cubing or slicing the sweet potato is to let them soak in water for an hour or so before you bake them to leach out the starch, then pat them dry. I've heard this makes them crispier.

As for the typical baked potato, I usually wrap mine in a few paper towels, wet the package, and nuke it for ~7 minutes. I guess I feel wetting the paper towels with the potato inside keeps the moisture in. I love them plain, but if I'm in the mood to sweeten it I just add a dollop of omega butter and a pinch of brown sugar; a little goes a long way.

Definitely gonna have to try eatting the skin, EVOO-brushed and baked style. Usually the peel or skin holds tons of vitamins/minerals when it comes to fruits and veggies.
  • amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like to cut mine in slices like fries and bake them with olive oil, my husband loves them baked like a potato and with butter and brown sugar....(I don't eat them this way)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I bake it straight. It's sweet and moist enough after 30 minutes - 300 F of baking time. The best Sweet Potato for me is Hawaiian Sweet Potato (purple) and also Japanese/Korean Sweet Potato (orange).

I agree! I don't put anything on mine and they are still yummy!
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Two ways-mash them like regular potatoes with a dash of milk, little bit of butter and sprinkle some brown sugar

OR

cut them up into cubes like homefries, stir fry them in olive oil and sprinkle a little bit of Italian breadcrumbs over them and cook until the breadcrumbs are crispy
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I didn't go through the responses, so if this or something similar was posted, sorry!

I microwave my sweet potatoes for 10 minutes (stab it with a fork a couple times on each side so it doesn't explode in the microwave) and just put Newman's Own Pineapple Salsa on it. Freaking amazing, fast and yummy!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've got some sweet potatoes in my kitchen tonight, I think I might steam them!
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Oven roast with EVOO and a little salt and pepper. It is also good in stew.
    Ditto. Cut into chunks toss with a bit of oil and roast for 10? Min. Delicious