One big meal a day?

Options

Replies

• PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    That's because the human body is an amazing machine and can accommodate for that. It doesn't mater if you eat once or a dozen times a day. What matters is total caloric intake.

But going without for a while lets your blood sugar stabilize, and studies have shown that your HGH levels increase while fasted.
  • allaboutaleah
    Options
    I dnt know how any1 can think that starving themselves all day and binging at night is ok. Ur a nutrition student, but i'm a nurse and I worked at an eating disorder facility for 2 1/2 yrs. side by side with registered dietician, and my uncle is a certified nutritionist, and non of them would agree, so if ur a student and being taught its ok, maybe u need to look into a new program. anyways, to the OP, u obviously have 2 make the choice, just make sure you research, and make sure to make an informed decision. good luck
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    The whole car analogy confuses me every time. I don't put gas in my car every 3 hours, so why do I have to put food in my gullet? Lol and I am not a car either :P

Funny how people say "talk to a nutritionist they will tell you" but I am surrounded by them. Professors and students all day. Have not seen anything saying it will boost your metabolism. Only correlation stating that it may help with people's habits and preference
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    This is not a good idea, it wll drastically slow your metabolism, which will initially cause you to gain weight, and will causeyu to lose weight at a drastically slower rate. Plus once you start eating normally again, youill gaineight back, bcuz ur of ur slow metabolism, and your body storing fat. also your body needs fuel to run the day. think of your body like a car, you couldn't rip and run all day on an empty tank, with the intention to fill up at the end of the day. you wouldn't make it
    Hehehe giggle giggle:tongue:

This is a great idea, it will drastically increase your metabolism, which will initially cause you to lose weight and will cause you to lose weight at a drastically quicker rate. Plus once you start eating normally again, you'll lose even more because of your supercharged metabolism and all your muscle. Also your body needs 8 cups of water to run daily.Think of your body like a motorcycle. You can speed down the highway doing wheelies but, if a cop sees you; you'll go to jail.

BAM Broscience at it's finest!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I dnt know how any1 can think that starving themselves all day and binging at night is ok. Ur a nutrition student, but i'm a nurse and I worked at an eating disorder facility for 2 1/2 yrs. side by side with registered dietician, and my uncle is a certified nutritionist, and non of them would agree, so if ur a student and being taught its ok, maybe u need to look into a new program. anyways, to the OP, u obviously have 2 make the choice, just make sure you research, and make sure to make an informed decision. good luck

It's not binging if you stay in your calorie goal. It comes down to eating at a caloric surplus (gain weight) or a caloric deficit (lose weight). When you eat, how often, or the size of your meals doesn't matter.

Don't overcomplicate things.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you're within your calorie goals...that is not starving and binging. Do you honestly believe that feeling sated has anything to do with actually starving? The only downside to eating a large meal instead of smaller ones is that if you personally can't stand feeling hungry through parts of your day. That's the ONLY benefit to eating more meals spaced out. Weight loss effect will be identical.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I would not call eating within your calorie goal "binging". Binging is disordered, uncontrollable eating.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

In the nicest way possible, you are presenting misinformation. Meal frequency has aboslutely nothing to do with metabolic rate. Thermic effect of food is a function of macronutrient composition (to a small effect) and caloric intake totals. It is not frequency dependent. Fasting periods can reach 48-72 hours without detrimental effect.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    one meal a day works for many many people. some even consume about 80% of their calories in one sitting, and the rest is spaced out during the day.

personally, i like the 5-6 meals a day. its easier for me.
    Options

It is not binging. Binging is not structured and causes a large surplus at the end of the day. I am not starving if I don't eat for 16 hours either. The body does just fine without food for that long.

Nurses are not food scientists. When did they get their degree? They may need to go back to school for a while if they think it has a metabolic advantage.
    My school program is great, one of the best in Iowa. No need for a new program.

Once again. MY metabolism works perfectly. I eat plenty, look great, feel great, and am not starving by any means.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It is not binging. Binging is not structured and causes a large surplus at the end of the day. I am not starving if I don't eat for 16 hours either. The body does just fine without food for that long.

Nurses are not food scientists. When did they get their degree? They may need to go back to school for a while if they think it has a metabolic advantage.
    My school program is great, one of the best in Iowa. No need for a new program.

Once again. MY metabolism works perfectly. I eat plenty, look great, feel great, and am not starving by any means.
    Yep. Try Googling "smaller meals myth", and check out the wealth of evidence from reputable sources out there. This myth was smashed a long time ago, but will not die.
    Options
    Apparently I am starving myself too:
    Fgcgncf.jpg

FxCam_1315016810752.jpg

Frail and unhealthy I know.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do it because I really HATE being hungry. I do eat more than 1/2 my calories at night, but I couldn't go all day with nothing and be happy. But I don't think it would affect my metabolism or weight loss/maintenance as long as it was the same calories overall. It would just affect my mood.

But there seems to be 2 separate discussions in this thread. One is the OP who mentions eating only one meal a day, and the other is restricting by hours (only eating for 5 - 8 hours per day). Those would be very differnt styles of eating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

In the nicest way possible, you are presenting misinformation. Meal frequency has aboslutely nothing to do with metabolic rate. Thermic effect of food is a function of macronutrient composition (to a small effect) and caloric intake totals. It is not frequency dependent. Fasting periods can reach 48-72 hours without detrimental effect.

^ this and studies have shown an increase to metabolic rate during short term fasts (up to around 72hrs i think) due to i believe the increase in plasma norepinephrine
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    I don't think I could do it because I really HATE being hungry. I do eat more than 1/2 my calories at night, but I couldn't go all day with nothing and be happy. But I don't think it would affect my metabolism or weight loss/maintenance as long as it was the same calories overall. It would just affect my mood.

But there seems to be 2 separate discussions in this thread. One is the OP who mentions eating only one meal a day, and the other is restricting by hours (only eating for 5 - 8 hours per day). Those would be very differnt styles of eating.

I'm talking about fasting in General. I fast 24 hours 2-3 days a week. Some people do shorter fast. But studies and information I have read is you reap the most benefit from 16-30 hours.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just started IF about a week ago, it has been amazing. I do find that I am still learning about how to not go totally crazy when I break my fast and eat everything in sight. However, you are right, the large meal and satisfaction that come with it rules.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    To clarify I eat a normal meal 5-7 hundred calories when I break the fast. I am assuming that's not binging.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    Just started IF about a week ago, it has been amazing. I do find that I am still learning about how to not go totally crazy when I break my fast and eat everything in sight. However, you are right, the large meal and satisfaction that come with it rules.

Have you noticed how much more vividly you can taste the food?