How fast do you run??

Options
124»

Replies

• bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i started off runnung at about 8 but today i graduated to 11. having said that i am an appalling runner in that i smoke and struggle to breathe.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you understand the importance of working up to a faster pace little by little. Some people are natural runners, others are not. That being said, we can all run, it just takes more effort for some.

I generally don't do distance runs anymore as I enjoy HIIT (high intensity interval training) more, but when I do 1-5 mile runs I run between a 7.5-8.5, depending on how my body is feeling. When I do HIIT, I have been doing intervals of 5 and either 9 or 9.5. It's tremenously fast and the only reason I'm comfortable running that fast is because I'm 6' tall, my stride is long and quick, and I used to be an avid runner.

Keep working at it and remember, slow and steady increases. Limit any potential for injury
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you've seen an old cow shamble across a pasture, you've seen my top speed at the moment. But I'm working on it! :tongue:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The past few months I've been averaging 10 to 11 minute miles. However during races I'm super slow because I stop and take lots of pictures! I end up with an average of 14 to 15 but I have a blast and finish!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Try running further at your current pace. When you can do 5 miles at 4.2mph, you should find you can do 3miles at a faster pace.
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I average about a 10 min mile most of the time. Sometimes faster.

The last 5k I did was on Thanksgiving day and my time was 28.01 so a bit faster than normal, but the adrenaline really pushed me.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you're just beginning running, speed should be the last thing you worry about. As you slowly increase your mileage and fitness your speed will go up naturally. Trying to rush the process beyond your fitness level is asking for injury.

This.

My first 5K time in March 2011 was 42 minutes and change. My last 5K Nov 2011 was 30:48.
    I didn't specifically train to get faster, it happened naturally as I lost weight AND increased my mileage for a half marathon. Just keep at it, you will get faster, how much faster will depend on many factors. Just remember:
    LOW miles or SLOW miles is still better than NO miles.

I don't blog a ton, but when I do it's mainly about my running NSVs... you can see it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjbixler
  • EWK123
    EWK123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I run at the same pace that you do. however, i'm just starting so i can only go without walking for like 10 minutes. Some people aren't natural runners so it get's harder. Like i don't think that i'll ever be able to run continuously past 6 mph. Because none of my family members are athletic. Because let's face it: heredity does count. It has to do with the muscle fibers that you're born with. Some people can go longer at slower speeds and some can go faster for a shorter amount of time. So don't get discouraged. Those people are probably just made for running long distances paster. But i'm sure that you can overcome that. You sound like a natural runner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run at the same pace that you do. however, i'm just starting so i can only go without walking for like 10 minutes. Some people aren't natural runners so it get's harder. Like i don't think that i'll ever be able to run continuously past 6 mph. Because none of my family members are athletic. Because let's face it: heredity does count. It has to do with the muscle fibers that you're born with. Some people can go longer at slower speeds and some can go faster for a shorter amount of time. So don't get discouraged. Those people are probably just made for running long distances paster. But i'm sure that you can overcome that. You sound like a natural runner.

I told myself many of those same things when I was your age and younger, and kept telling them to myself for another 20 years. :smile:

Some people are natural runners. But the rest of us, barring any major health obstacles, can learn to be. I never knew it was something you could learn to be, to train to be. So I spent years and years telling myself I couldn't run, and didn't bother. Now, it's something I do for fun, and I've actually become quite good at it. The funny thing is, that my brother, who's been running for-freaking-ever and me, who's only been running a year now, are the most athletic in our family of six siblings, and we're also the two with exercise induced asthma. The ones with the biggest obstacles are the ones who did it. :smile:

Running ten minutes straight is a great thing! Built up your distance slowly, and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.