weight training to loose weight?

I was wondering how this is done. I'd imagine its weight training and eating at a calorie deficit? I don't want to build too much muscle, just tone up and loose weight, but cardio that I enjoy comes quiet hard to me as I'm pretty new to the whole working out thing, so I want to start slow and move my way up.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    It's done pretty much as you described.. you're not going to gain muscle in a calorie deficit no matter what anyone tells you. You may gain a bit if you're new to lifting.. but thats about it.

Doing weights while doing cardio helps you retain what muscle you already have, and make those muscles stronger. Muscle also burns more calories then fat.. so the more muscle you have, the more you burn at rest without even doing anything.
  • I've read that you have to lose the fat in order to see the results in weight training. I'm doing a little of both. In fact, I'm using my hand weights while on the treadmill and it makes the time go by a bit faster. Kind of a "kill two birds" thing.
    I searched treadmill exercises on youtube and found a lot of videos with great ideas. Good luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I was wondering how this is done. I'd imagine its weight training and eating at a calorie deficit? I don't want to build too much muscle, just tone up and loose weight, but cardio that I enjoy comes quiet hard to me as I'm pretty new to the whole working out thing, so I want to start slow and move my way up.

Weight training and eating at a deficit will continue your weight loss (and really can help it explode) without building muscle under *most* conditions. It will help you to continue fat reduction while loosing less lean mass in the process. That being said, as a woman it is difficult to bulk up like a Bev Francis, so if this is your concern, it shouldn't be.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    I do weights for like 30 min and then at least 30 min cardio (running). I eat at a deficit right now until I loose some more fat.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    You cant build or bulk on a deficit. You will probably tone and shape whats underneath the fat but thats not the same thing as building bigger muscles.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    It's done pretty much as you described.. you're not going to gain muscle in a calorie deficit no matter what anyone tells you. You may gain a bit if you're new to lifting.. but thats about it.

Doing weights while doing cardio helps you retain what muscle you already have, and make those muscles stronger. Muscle also burns more calories then fat.. so the more muscle you have, the more you burn at rest without even doing anything.

Wait I am confused...I have MFP set to lose .5-1lb a week(a calorie deficit). I am also doing cardio, and Chalean Extreme (girl version of P90X). Does this mean I am strength training for nothing? Will I not gain muscle and become more toned? Should I just do cardio instead until I get to the maintenance phase? Confused now...sorry I am still a bit new here.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member

Wait I am confused...I have MFP set to lose .5-1lb a week(a calorie deficit). I am also doing cardio, and Chalean Extreme (girl version of P90X). Does this mean I am strength training for nothing? Will I not gain muscle and become more toned? Should I just do cardio instead until I get to the maintenance phase? Confused now...sorry I am still a bit new here.

You cant gain muscle on a deficit, to gain muscle you need to provide the body with protein to build the muscles you aim to gain.
    You will get toned as you burn of the fat and the muscles you already have will become visuable. Its not like you gained them doing the workout, they where always there, just hidden under fat.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

Wait I am confused...I have MFP set to lose .5-1lb a week(a calorie deficit). I am also doing cardio, and Chalean Extreme (girl version of P90X). Does this mean I am strength training for nothing? Will I not gain muscle and become more toned? Should I just do cardio instead until I get to the maintenance phase? Confused now...

No, your not strength training for nothing. You'll still make the muscles stronger and more pronounced as the fat burns, but you won't gain any actual muscle mass.

To gain muscle mass, you need to eat at a calorie surplus and lift heavy... and even then it's hard for women to do.
  • It's done pretty much as you described.. you're not going to gain muscle in a calorie deficit no matter what anyone tells you. You may gain a bit if you're new to lifting.. but thats about it.

No the strength training will maintain your current muscle mass. Without strength training, your body will look to use your current muscle as a source of energy instead of solely focusing on the fat as energy. If you are extrememly new to weight training you still have the opportunity to gain muscle but it rarely happens.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    No, Loose weight while lifting is dangerous. Surely your gym has clamps to hold the wieght on the bar? :bigsmile:
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    I've been weight training and cardioing to lose weight for the last few weeks, I can now see my biceps when I flex.. I know you don't gain muscle of a deficit, you will tone and keep the ones you have. :)

I'm doing this workout for fat burning using weights and cardio (I'm not following her cardio/days to the letter, however more her weight exercises) -> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/420062-jamie-eason-s-12-week-body-transformers :)
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    No, Loose weight while lifting is dangerous. Surely your gym has clamps to hold the wieght on the bar? :bigsmile:

You had me going there for a second! Hook, line, and sinker!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

beat me to the punch! :drinker:
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    So, if I won't gain muscle and it just tones the muscles I do have--- then do I need to worry about upping the amount of weights when I can? I just bought heavier dumbbells to use with my dvds. So, I am getting stronger obviously, but in the end will that really matter if I am not building more muscle? Does this post make any sense:laugh: ?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    So, if I won't gain muscle and it just tones the muscles I do have--- then do I need to worry about upping the amount of weights when I can? I just bought heavier dumbbells to use with my dvds. So, I am getting stronger obviously, but in the end will that really matter if I am not building more muscle? Does this post make any sense:laugh: ?

Lifting heavier = better muscle retention
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Or slight gain :love:
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    I'm guessing you've never lifted before. I suggest you get your form down and learn to lift properly before you start lifting heavy. I'm also assuming you have no idea what you will be doing. Here is a site that will show you some basics in weight training. good luck and if the weight is loose don't use it you'll get hurt!

http://www.thetrainingstationinc.com/freeweightexercises.html
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Just to clarify guys... I have adjustable 'free' weights. I have done sone lifting before but I have not been consistant. I have done chalean extrene, which I really loved, but I only did one workout. And the biggest weight I have lifted was about 8lbs. My weights go up to 23lbs.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    If the largest weight you have lifted is 8lbs then I'm sorry but you haven't lifted weights before.
  • sjpowell24
    sjpowell24 Posts: 7 Member
    If the largest weight you have lifted is 8lbs then I'm sorry but you haven't lifted weights before.

LOL

My heaviest is a 25kg DB on squats

It is VERY hard for women to build muscle, we can tone that **** up and make it look good but to build muscle you have to eat all the carbs and protein etc etc.....

Weight training is awesome for burning fat. Just make sure you have rest days and rest in between sets and keep good tempo and technique.....