Protein shakes vs healthy proteins

Options
124»

Replies

• FlexAppeal79
    FlexAppeal79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Havent read all the comments so not sure if this was mentioned...

It IS necessary to consume proteins to build muscle because protein is the essential 'building block' to lean muscle.

It IS NOT necessary to get your protein from meat.... There are other forms of protein that are low fat AND low carb...

Cottage Cheese, Fat Free Greek Yogurt, and Tofu are just a few to mention. (im sure those were on the list)

If you would like a low/no carb & low/no fat protein option and you like fruity as opposed to milky drinks....

Isopure and Syntrax Nectar are excellent choices :smile:

(certified personal trainer/figure competitor/nutritional consultant/figure&bikini competitor coach/trainer)
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    thanks
    Havent read all the comments so not sure if this was mentioned...

It IS necessary to consume proteins to build muscle because protein is the essential 'building block' to lean muscle.

It IS NOT necessary to get your protein from meat.... There are other forms of protein that are low fat AND low carb...

Cottage Cheese, Fat Free Greek Yogurt, and Tofu are just a few to mention. (im sure those were on the list)

If you would like a low/no carb & low/no fat protein option and you like fruity as opposed to milky drinks....

Isopure and Syntrax Nectar are excellent choices :smile:

(certified personal trainer/figure competitor/nutritional consultant/figure&bikini competitor coach/trainer)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    so you still don't want to use protein shakes despite that fact that low sugar/carb versions are widely available?
  • DKBelle
    Options
    If not necessary I am not really looking forward to use any although I've been using Muscle Milk for 3 months by now and no change in my body :) I have to try other options and if there is anything else working better I will never use any protein shake ever again:))
    so you still don't want to use protein shakes despite that fact that low sugar/carb versions are widely available?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    You use the "ready to drink" version?
  • DKBelle
    Options
    I use the protein powder and I am mixing it in water. I 've been mixing it in 2% fat milk for a while and about 2-3 weeks ago I changed it to water :)
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I use the protein powder and I am mixing it in water. I 've been mixing it in 2% fat milk for a while and about 2-3 weeks ago I changed it to water :)

Understood. I hope it works out for you. I browsed the MM powder version and it seems relatively low in suger/carbs/calories. Real food is always a great choice. But IMHO, harder to get the same amount of protein in less overall calories.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Why oh why do people think protein shakes are bad, unhealthy, not natural? I LOVE my shakes and mix whey protein with oat flour for a post-workout recovery drink. Keeps me full until I get home for a proper meal.

As for the price, have you priced up 14 chicken breasts a week, or cans of tuna, on top of my normal grocery bill...protein shakes are yummy, conv enient and certainly NOT unhelthy if taken to supplement an already healthy diet.

Not sure why some people give protein shakes such a rouygh deal.

My daily goal yesterday (a rest day) was 139g of protein. I got 19 at breakfast, 15 at lunch, 20 from snacks and 34 for dinner. All from "real food" including chicken, eggs, salmon, chickpeas etc. I then enjoy a protein shake with skimmed milk before bed to help me reach my goals.

On training days I don't meet my protein targets without shakes, and couldn't without eating two whole chickens. I know which is cheaper and more managable, and I'll still eat one chicken :o)
  • DKBelle
    Options
    because the sugar that its contain, but again I said most of them not all of them :) I am pretty sure that there are many other option.
    I tried only 3 different protein shake till now and it takes time to figure out which is the best works for me :)
    Why oh why do people think protein shakes are bad, unhealthy, not natural? I LOVE my shakes and mix whey protein with oat flour for a post-workout recovery drink. Keeps me full until I get home for a proper meal.

As for the price, have you priced up 14 chicken breasts a week, or cans of tuna, on top of my normal grocery bill...protein shakes are yummy, conv enient and certainly NOT unhelthy if taken to supplement an already healthy diet.

Not sure why some people give protein shakes such a rouygh deal.

My daily goal yesterday (a rest day) was 139g of protein. I got 19 at breakfast, 15 at lunch, 20 from snacks and 34 for dinner. All from "real food" including chicken, eggs, salmon, chickpeas etc. I then enjoy a protein shake with skimmed milk before bed to help me reach my goals.

On training days I don't meet my protein targets without shakes, and couldn't without eating two whole chickens. I know which is cheaper and more managable, and I'll still eat one chicken :o)
  • DKBelle
    Options
    Thanks I will check out that MM power. I never heard of that till now.

Understood. I hope it works out for you. I browsed the MM powder version and it seems relatively low in suger/carbs/calories. Real food is always a great choice. But IMHO, harder to get the same amount of protein in less overall calories.
  • effiek
    effiek Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    a) you definitely need a healthy diet--no good in working out if you're just going to put garbage in, right? b) I'm on shakeology and I LOVE it. (so much so, i became a coach for them)...but it's not a protein shake--it has an emphasis on absorbing all the nutrients you miss throughout the day. I have a ton more energy, think my workouts are more effective, and finding that everything from my waistline to my skin is improving. I'm still eating healthy, sure, but it's a great idea for a supplement (moreso than a vitamin i think!)
  • DKBelle
    Options
    That is not even a question :)
    Check out my site these are the things I eat daily ( I am pretty sure that I eat more than healthy compare to so many people ):
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
    a) you definitely need a healthy diet--no good in working out if you're just going to put garbage in, right? b) I'm on shakeology and I LOVE it. (so much so, i became a coach for them)...but it's not a protein shake--it has an emphasis on absorbing all the nutrients you miss throughout the day. I have a ton more energy, think my workouts are more effective, and finding that everything from my waistline to my skin is improving. I'm still eating healthy, sure, but it's a great idea for a supplement (moreso than a vitamin i think!)
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    again I meant the sugar that we have in the protein shakes or carbohydrates not the protein it self :) and yes I gained a lot since I live in USA as unfortunately most product is loaded with sugar over here even the whole wheat bread and so on. What I did I started to make my own bread and pasta and things that I could have moderated and started to lose weight and so did my husband :) I don't need any other proof the minute we stopped eating whole wheat things that we bought from the store and I started to moderate the fat started to melt away. I am sure there are some product which is better I don't say that all the product is bad, but most of it. Also hunger comes from the insulin and insulin raises by eating sugary things :) Since I avoided these I never feel hungry :))

Your homemade stuff has less calories. You lose weight because of cutting calories, sugar=calories. Thats the beauty of making your own things. You get to control the ingredients and amounts you put in. That doesn't mean that eating pre-made stuff is bad. For some reason everyone forgets portion control and moderation. Sugar is not the cause of weight gain, its eating excess calories.

Ever heard of whey isolates? That has no sugar and fat. You could look for that when buying protein powder.

You obviously have no idea how insulin works. Insulin acutely suppresses appetite! It has been demonstrated in a lot of experiments. Again, carbohydrates is not the only thing that raises insulin.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16933179?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=66
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    For your satiety it's probably better to chew your protein. The sugar in the protein powder is likely the least of your worries. You would probably better serve yourself to focus on getting what your body needs in terms of calories, protein and fat than worry about the sugar content in a protein shake. There are so many options out there, if one has too much sugar for your personal preference, just seek out another.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    I think my diet is pretty balanced get everything in whatever my body would need. I eat veggies, fruits, some carbohydrate, protein and also drink 64-120 oz of water daily. I also workout 30-40 minutes weight training and 2-3 times a week on top of these I do some cardio as well. I also use fish oil, calcium, c vitamin supplements and like I said I am taking 1 scoop of Muscle Milk protein a day after my workout mixed with water. I am not sure what else I should change , could you be more specific :)
    Thanks for the advice.
    For your satiety it's probably better to chew your protein. The sugar in the protein powder is likely the least of your worries. You would probably better serve yourself to focus on getting what your body needs in terms of calories, protein and fat than worry about the sugar content in a protein shake. There are so many options out there, if one has too much sugar for your personal preference, just seek out another.