favorite go-to fast food meals

Options
I want to expand my options on what I can eat from fast food chains when I have time for nothing else...What's your favorite go-to healthy(ish) meal?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. and only have Subway on occasion. I like the Club sandwich the best. With the cheese and veggies I have on it, the 6" sub is about 350 calories.

I know, not much help, but I avoid fast food as much as humanly possible because of the hidden "goodies" like sodium, trans fat, and meat "filler" they use. I read on Yahoo news that McDonald's burgers are as much as 85% filler. When I want a burger, I want meat, lol.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Popeye's Naked Chicken Wrap = 200 calories and taste really good.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Lamb Shish :-)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Mc Donald's grilled snack wrap...I usually get the chipolte bbq, ask for no cheese....it is about 250 calories...
    or grilled chicken sandwhich, no mayo or special dressing...and then i take off 1/2 the bun....
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    Panda Express steamed white rice and beef and broccoli bowl. Surpirsingly low sodium for fast food! I also like a wopper jr. w/o cheese and a medium fry. Or a grilled chicken club sandwich and small fry at mcdonalds. Taco bell's crunchy beef tacos w/o cheese is also a good option.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I know Taco Bell has a fresco menu that is supposed to be pretty good.. but I hardly ever eat there.

When I eat fast food/at a restaurant, my go to items are either a grilled chicken sandwich or a burger. I ditch half or all of the bun, and only eat half the fries, Iced Tea to drink or water.

It's the simplest changes that make the biggest impact.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think they all have some fabulous salads with grilled chicken - Wendy's, McD and Burger King.
    I'd look that up and make sure I knew just what I wanted, because once I get there and start "deciding", Katie-Bar-The-Door!

Bad things could happen.....
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I adore McDonalds. These days I try to limit my trips but I do go on occaision and usually order a hamburger and small french fries with a bottle of water. Only 480 very tasty calories!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    umm.. healthy and fast food, let's see.

kfc - grilled chicken

subway

chinese - steamed chicken and brocolli
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    Well I love panera bread. Their pick two items are all under 500 calories and I hear wendys has a grilled chicken sandwich for around 300 with no mayo. There are choices out there just dont make it a habbit
  • sharanranran
    sharanranran Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In the UK, I chose fish and chips as a large portion shared with my husband is 700 cals and a shish kebab is low especially if you stick to the grilled chicken and salad
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    From my WW days....I remember being told that you are better off eating a (regular) hamburger and small fries at McDonalds than any of the "healthy" salads...from a calorie/fat count. Would have to research to get the numbers...Guess I'm saying don't just "assume" a salad from fast food is a healthy choice.
    I think they all have some fabulous salads with grilled chicken - Wendy's, McD and Burger King.
    I'd look that up and make sure I knew just what I wanted, because once I get there and start "deciding", Katie-Bar-The-Door!

Bad things could happen.....
  • glaucaster
    Options
    i have attached the nutritional information for McDonalds, taco Bell, Wendy's and BK. you will see that there are actually great tasting, nutritional meals to be had at all of these. for example the premium grilled chicken classic at Mcd's is 350 calories, 9 grams of fat and 28 wonderfully filling grams of protien. add some apple dippers or a side salad, and a water...and you can smile when you leave the drive through that you are going to be full and under 400 calories.

there are also great options for coffee and latte's for the mronings, along with oatmeal, fruits and nuts. you will see similiar entries for the other chains as well. i have made for my self an excel spread sheet with the healthier options from all the major chains, so when i go through, i just pull it up on my phone and feel good about ordering the fresco chicken soft taco at taco bell.

have fun and do a little research and you can go work everyday with a mcdonalds bag and still lose a ton of weight with moderate excercise combined.

here are the quick links:

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf
    http://www.bk.com/en/us/menu-nutrition/index.html
    http://www.wendys.com/food/NutritionLanding.jsp
    http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/information
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich. It really taste like chicken.:laugh: Their chili is also good tasting without a lot of calories.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    In the UK, I chose fish and chips as a large portion shared with my husband is 700 cals and a shish kebab is low especially if you stick to the grilled chicken and salad

Is the 700 cals just your portion of the fish and chips or the whole thing? I though a standard fish and chips was around 550 cals so I assume it is the whole thing?

TIA
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    mcdonalds grilled chicken wraps no sauce and no cheese. Still really good for just chicken and lettuce. Avoid Wendys my husband works for a distributor for them and their hamburger is nowhere near lean in fact it is the fattiest hamburger I have seen I do not think the grocery stores sell it that fat and their chicken comes frozen and it is pre marinated before frozen so it is loaded with sodium.
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    If you can't spot the trend here... its "grilled chicken". While I do eat a lot of grilled chicken fast food items, I would like to add the following to the list:

big mac with everything on it

Now, before you kill me, let me just add its 540 calories, so this is a larger item for sure, but its 540 absolutely delicious calories. Skip the fries and savor every bite of this masterpiece. I only do this on days when I know those extra calories will be put to good use later on.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I adore SUBWAY! I usually get the raosted chicken breast with no cheese, and a SMALL amout of chipotle sauce for flavor. Around 400 cals if you go light on the sauce!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    no one has mentioned grocery store delis? Especially whole foods or trader joe's that have ready-to-go one person meals with no preservatives or fillers or plain old "crap"
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Most of my suggestions I don't have the calories for off the top of my head... but here are what I have typically ordered.

Jack in the Box Tacos, only 180 calories a piece (I dont eat fries so I love a taco as a side item). Jack also has this chicken in a pita pocket. Its not the most amazing item, but flavorful enough to make ya happy for the lower calories.

Taco Bell cinnamon twists are a very few calories for the treat they provide. :D

McDonalds McChicken sandwhiches. They are about 300 calories without the mayo and keep me satisfied for a bit

Subway sandwiches. The turkey, chicken or tuna sandwiches all come very low calories (as long as you don't get a bunch of sauces.

NOTHING AT CARLS JR. Sorry... that place is next to impossible to find a low cal meal :(

For quite a few places I have the pdf saved onto my phone, or I just pull out the MFP app and enter the name of the chain into the search, then scroll through the MULTITUDE of items to find something.