would you eat this?

Options
13»

Replies

• kdeven
    kdeven Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I add egg whites and whey protien to my oatmeal, but then I cook it. It just tastes like oatmeal, but you get the added protien.
  • LovelyMumOf2
    Options
    never will I eat raw eggs. :noway:
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    that's what my diary looks like in the morning too. i use information for raw eggs because i cook them as is and i don't trust the database entries for scrambled eggs because there's no way to know what else was added into that besides the eggs themselves. same with the oats, i cook them with water and i'm not going to log freakin water.

i've eaten raw oats and its not terrible but i'd have a texture issue with raw eggs. from a health standpoint, bring it on! i guess i need to learn to swallow in big gulps ;)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I quess for people that say they wouldn't eat eggs raw, you wouldn't eat ceasar salad.:devil:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    egg-nog anyone?
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I quess for people that say they wouldn't eat eggs raw, you wouldn't eat ceasar salad.:devil:

Yeah, but doesn't the vinegar/acidic ingredient "cook" the egg?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    no. Waaay too much food for my breakfast! I average ~ 160 calories at breakfast!
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    Sure, all good except the oatmeal in any state!
    If I ate breakfast.
    8^p
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Sounds vile and definitely not something I'd eat everyday and sounds like its got something in it that's not natural... i.e. the whey powder... make good old oatmeal with plain porridge oats and skimmed milk and water, add some honey and something like chopped banana. spot on.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Just curious; do you know, is the protein less bioavailable in raw fish as well??
    the protein in raw eggs is less bioavailable

source?

just curious. i don't eat raw (rare beef, but not raw), but i feed my dog raw (eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, deer, rabbit, bison, etc) and it was my understanding that, at least for canines, the proteins were more easily and quickly digested, as well as more bioavailable, when raw.

Evenepoel et al. Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques. J. Nutr. October 1, 1998 vol. 128 no. 10 1716-1722

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

nice, thanks! that's what i was wondering, too, it was human specific study. i don't think i'd want to be the human test subjects that were fed "heavy" (isotope-labeled) eggs, though, haha.

for the specifics
    In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h. The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds. It has been suggested that the reduced digestibility of raw egg white is at least partially related to the presence of trypsin inhibitors in raw egg white (Matthews 1990). Ovomucoid is quantitatively the most important trypsin inhibitor (Gilbert 1971, Kassell 1970). Ovomucoid, however, does not react with human trypsin and, moreover, is relatively heat stable (Kasell 1970). Whether other egg trypsin inhibitors (e.g., ovoinhibitor or papain inhibitor) interfere with the digestibility of unprocessed egg white protein is unknown.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
    Egg Raw - Large, 3 large 210 3 14 19 0 195
    Whey Protein 52g Vanilla, 1 scoop (33g) 140 3 2 26 0 65
    Quaker Oats - Quick 1 Min, 1/4 CUP DRY 75 14 2 3 2 0

Just something i tried this morning and wanted to get some thoughts on it

It s pretty good. I even take about 6-8 hard boiled eggs and one yolk.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally eat raw egg whites very often because I'd rather not become biotin deficient. Google "egg white injury." Every so often probably isn't a big deal, but you might not want to make it a regular thing.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm off the raw eggs while I'm pregnant, but I LOVED a raw egg cracked over my bowl of steaming soba when I lived in Japan... Or mixed into my fermented soy beans until they got really slimy and a bit frothy. And egg flip as a kid (milk, vanilla, raw egg) which I lived off when I had tonsillitis and couldn't swallow.

So, basically, raw eggs rock, bioavailable or not.