Can "good" carbs even keep the weight on?

Options
13»

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    for me any carb makes me gain weight.. i try to keep my carbs around 60-80 a day.. i really should go lower than that.. i'm gonna start a new doctor supervised diets that is higher protein and fats and low-no carb. My body doesn't process carbs like it should, so for me a piece of bread is like a loaf of bread to someone else.. SUCKY bc I am a CARB LOVER!! you do it for 30 days on 2 days of eat what you what, then it's 12 on 2 off.. I think it having the splurge days helps to balance everything out..but the diet is...

Breakfast:
    2 eggs
    2 slices of bacon

Lunch:
    salad with mean and dressing (no low or fat free dressings regular dressing)

Dinner:
    Meat (how ever much you want)
    veggies (however much you want)

Bed time snack:
    8 oz skim milk

INSTRUCTIONS:
    At any meal you may eat until you are full, and you can not eat anymore. You must eat the minimum listed at each meal.
    Do not eliminate anything from the diet, especially don't skip the bacon at breakfast or omit salads. It is the combination of foods that burn the fat.
    Cut down on coffee, it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Try to limit to one cup each meal.
    Don't eat between meals, if you eat the combination of food suggested, you will not get hungry.
    The diet may eliminate sugars and starches. Fat does not form fat, it helps burn it, so you can fry food in butter and use butter generously on vegetables.
    Do not eat desserts, breads and white vegetables of sweet potatoes. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salads or vegetables. Eat till you are stuffed. The more you eat the more weight you will lose.
    There may be no weight loss in the first 4 days, but you may lose 5 pounds on the 5th day. You may lose 1 and 1/2 pounds every two days until you reach your goal.
    DRINK EIGHT 8oz GLASSES OF WATER EVERY DAY. 1/2 GALLON.

ALL SOFT DRINKS NEED TO BE DIET AND CAFFEINE FREE.

YOU MAY NOT HAVE: White onions, potatoes, celery, peas, cereal, carrots, corn, starchy vegetables, bread, noodles, rice, potato chips, pretzels or fruit or diet dressing.

YOU MAY HAVE: Red onions, bell peppers, radishes, broccoli, cucumbers, green onions, leaf spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, chili (no beans) mayonnaise, any cheese, hot dogs, cole slaw, regular salad dressing, green vegetables,

What kind of low carb plan are you on that you can't have celery, onions, carrots, YET hot dogs, cole slaw (which has added sugar) and cheese is allowed?
    i don't know but it would be awesome if i could do that and still lose.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    ...especially don't skip the bacon at breakfast or omit salads. It is the combination of foods that burn the fat.

Mmmm, bacon salad.

380746792_e035846313_z.jpg
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that fiber can make you feel bloated, especially if you didn't eat much and then you added a bunch of fiber intake. You have to do it gradually. Also, carbonated drinks can make you bloated. Drink lots of water!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    you have to have carbs for energy. Do not cut out all carbs.... 50% of your diet is supposed to be carbohydrates. Foods with carbs like vegetables, fruits, and whole grains have tons of vitamins and nutrients that your body needs to function. Without these vitamins and nutrients your metabolism will slow down. If you want to lose weight make sure you eating foods with fiber, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, definitely do not cute these out of your diet. Simple or bad carbs spike your insulin levels which make you hungrier and store what you ate as fat..... You need good carbs, and you need to stay away from bad carbs!!!

There is no biological need for carbs. PERIOD. They are purely a want - NOT a need. The body can function just fine on 0 carbs when ingesting enough protein and fat.

Besides the fact that your brain requires glucose for proper function you mean, right?
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "good" carbs or "bad" carbs. Carbs are carbs. Don't fall for the myths. That said, if you have a metabolic issue, carbs can be an issue, but that has nothing to do with whether they are "good" carbs or "bad" carbs. Best advice would be to see a doctor and make sure you don't have an underlying issue.

Just cutting back on carbs may not give you a real answer, as carbs, when stored in the body as glycogen, need a lot of water to be stored with them, and to suddenly cut back on carbs would lead to less glycogen storage and an automatic loss of water weight, and would then lead to gaining that water weight back as soon as you reintroduce the carbs and your body increases its glycogen stores. So just cutting back carbs to compare isn't a good indicator on its own.

Awesome post! Yep typically it's 3 grams of water per 1 gram of stored glycogen. You burn through your glycogen stores when carbs are limited resulting in a water weight drop.

Also works reverse with Spike Days, you have a carb loading day, you store glycogen and gain back some water weight. People freak out and think they just gained 3lbs of fat but it's just water. I have to remind people it takes a 3,500 calorie surplus to store fat and that doesn't even count for the energy used up restoring glycogen first.

So basically, it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain fat with one bad day.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    you have to have carbs for energy. Do not cut out all carbs.... 50% of your diet is supposed to be carbohydrates. Foods with carbs like vegetables, fruits, and whole grains have tons of vitamins and nutrients that your body needs to function. Without these vitamins and nutrients your metabolism will slow down. If you want to lose weight make sure you eating foods with fiber, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, definitely do not cute these out of your diet. Simple or bad carbs spike your insulin levels which make you hungrier and store what you ate as fat..... You need good carbs, and you need to stay away from bad carbs!!!

There is no biological need for carbs. PERIOD. They are purely a want - NOT a need. The body can function just fine on 0 carbs when ingesting enough protein and fat.

Besides the fact that your brain requires glucose for proper function you mean, right?

Not true. Your brain needs FAT for proper function, not carbs/glucose.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

The classic example is a certain population of Eskimo's, who literally eat zero carbs and are just fine. The brain is a scavenger and will use any energy source. It prefers glucose, but you don't need much of it. Regardless, eating zero carbs is a very extreme example. Most people recomend eating natural sources of carbs like veggies.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Stop making things up.

Your brain doesn't use fat at all. It can use ketone bodies, but only when glucose is unavailable and it can only use them for up to 70% of its energy needs.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Stop making things up.

Your brain doesn't use fat at all. It can use ketone bodies, but only when glucose is unavailable and it can only use them for up to 70% of its energy needs.

Fats Build Your Brain.

About two-thirds of your brain is composed of fats. But not just any kind.

Your brain cells require very specialized fats – the same ones that built the brains of your prehistoric ancestors and enabled them to learn and evolve at such a fast rate. These same fats are even now being incorporated into the very structure of the brain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    The brain is made up primarily of fat, but it runs on glucose/ketones........k
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options

My body absolutely DOES need carbs. They help curb my urge to smack people that tell me I don't need carbs.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

My body absolutely DOES need carbs. They help curb my urge to smack people that tell me I don't need carbs.

Hahaha. You and me both. You'll be prying my carbs from my cold, dead hands.

And even then? I might just smack you for touching them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Stop making things up.

Fats Build Your Brain.

About two-thirds of your brain is composed of fats. But not just any kind.

Your brain cells require very specialized fats – the same ones that built the brains of your prehistoric ancestors and enabled them to learn and evolve at such a fast rate. These same fats are even now being incorporated into the very structure of the brain.

Your brain is made of fat, that doesn't mean it uses fat for energy. Your heart is made of muscle, does that mean it catabolizes muscle for energy to function?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you think that the carbs are causing your bloating, consider celiac disease. If you stay away from all gluten grains (wheat of all varieties including kamut and spelt, rye, barley) are you still bloated?

Could also be hormones, increase in fibre consumption, or another food intolerance that you haven't yet identified.

Pam