How soon after waking do you eat?

I have to take medication after waking and can't eat for at least 30 minutes. By this time, I'm already at the gym or showering and getting ready for work. So I usually eat once I get to work. I get up at 5:45 and get to work at 8:15. Is this too long to wait for breakfast? Is there any importance to eating before a certain time? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Within an hour of waking up and then every 4 hours from there.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    I wake up at 6am.

My first meal is 2pm.

Eat whenever you want, meal timing is irrelevant.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

I found this interesting. It is a reliable source, but take it with a grain of salt. Everybody is different.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I wake up at 6am.

My first meal is 2pm.

Eat whenever you want, meal timing is irrelevant.

^ I agree with this, and oddly enough I'm on almost the exact same eating schedule.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I eat whenever I get hungry and actually have time to eat. With 2 small kids to take care of, sometimes it's earlier and sometimes it's later. LOL
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    You're going to get all sorts of answers to this. You need to do what works for you. I get up at 5:15, work out for 30 minute to an hour. Shower and get dressed. I usually make an egg sandwich that I either eat in the car or when I get to work. This has worked fine for me.
    Good luck!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    **EDIT** Nevermind what we do, what you do sounds like a plan.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I get up at 6 and eat about 11:30a. Unless I am hungry, then I eat sooner. I have just upped my caloried by a lot and I haven't figured out how to eat them all in a smaller window of time yet.

Please - no one be ridiculous and use the words "jumpstart your metabolism" when talking about when you should eat. Ok? Thanks.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    I wake up at 7 and eat after I get my older kids ready and take them to school. It's usually about 8:30.
  • I wake up really hungry everyday and eat pretty much as soon as I get up.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Whenever I get hungry in the morning. I wake up at 6 AM usually and eat around 9-9:30 in the morning.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    As long as you aren't feeling sick when you work out, stick with what you're doing.

I get up at 4AM and on my harder (more cardio-intense) workout days, I usually make myself eat about 1/2 a protein bar on the way to the gym w/some coffee. On the lighter-burn days, I just have the coffee. After working out, showering and dressing, I have chocolate milk in the car on the way to work (for 'recovery').

As someone else said "everyone is different" and there's no set time that you MUST eat or else.... just find your own rythym!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 909 Member
    Never before 9am
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    When I get hungry. I have found that when I don't eat grains or sugar - in any form including fruit - I don't get hungry every couple of hours and I don't wake up starving. I used to have a bowl of oatmeal with a large apple almost every morning and withing 90 to 120 minutes I was shaking like a leaf racing out to find more food thanks to the blood sugar crash.

I eat protein and fat (lots of fat) and I stay full for 5 hours or more. Now my typical breakfast is 3 eggs with 4 pieces of uncured bacon. When I get hungry.
  • about an hr after I get out of bed
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I can't eat right away, and I can't eat right before working out....so I'm up at 5, and usually eat about 9......I say if it's working for you then don't sweat it.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    usually within an hour or two. i am not hungry when i first wake up.... coffee only please.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    I get up at 4:30, generally I have a banana or yogurt around 8am.
  • steffy1724
    steffy1724 Posts: 24 Member
    I wake up at 4:45, workout, shower, get dressed, then I eat around 7am....It works for me, and keeps energized.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member

Please - no one be ridiculous and use the words "jumpstart your metabolism" when talking about when you should eat. Ok? Thanks.

:laugh: