I struggle in the evenings

Options

Replies

• Steph62002
    Options
    I eat a high protein snack around 3pm and then eat dinner around 6pm. I normally stick to grilled fish or chicken, brown rice and veggies. Sometimes I will pop a piece of gum in my mouth when I get home and start cooking, b/c that keeps me from wanting to nibble on stuff.
    After dinner I stay busy with the kids and doing light housework. I will also drink a cup of hot green tea, this helps with cravings too.
    If I am still hungry right before bed, I will fix a protein shake or eat a bowl of fruit with some almonds. Hope this helps!
  • Drew497
    Options
    I struggle all the time, not just in the evenings. However, I know what you mean. You sit around, probably watching tv, and those chips... they're waiting for you inside that cabinet!
    Whenever this happens to me, I just think the same thing...
    "Is it really worth it? Having those chips, that will taste good for five minutes, but give me 10,000 calories and ruin my days work? I think not! Hand me an apple!"
    So just think about that. Why enjoy something for 5 minutes, that hurts you in the long run?
    Good luck!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    HELLO!
    You been reading my mail?

The evenings are a killer for me, or at least they used to be.
    I LOVE that stuffed feeling as I fall asleep...lol

I actually used to wait for everybody to go to sleep, then rush down and have supper all over again. Or I'd sneak out to the mid-night McD drive through. It was bad, and today on my "free day" I always give it a go for old time sake.

When I started losing weight, my hunger would BURN at night, and I was just miserable. Some nights I just couldn't make it, and I'd fail, making a rooting hog of myself. What happened was that in time, it just got better. It took time, and I had to go to bed hungry some nights.

Today, I eat a snack an hour before bed, and all is well. It shall get better - hang in there!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I got 25 cal hot coco. It help because it is warm but gives me that full feeling... (swiss miss)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    eat lighter throughout the day; save the calories so you can do most of your eating in the evening.
  • Rocnut
    Rocnut Posts: 19
    Options
    Make your biggest meal breakfast. Oatmeal, egg whites, fruit, and maybe some coffee or juice. Revs up your metabolism, curves hunger pangs mid morning til afternoon. Have a sensible lunch that is not loaded with saturated fat.

If you dictate what your tummy is telling you throughout the day by controlled eating of the right portions and types of food, your dinner should be enough to top you off for the day (chicken breast + brown rice).

The trick is to never go empty. Eat a carrot low fat cheese string. I eat cottage cheese or beef jerky. If you don't go empty during the day, you won't have that binge/crave at night nave feel more sense of accomplishment.

When I do crave in the evenings, I toss down an extra shaker full of protein shake.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I too have this problem. So I have allocated upto 300 cals for that time and usually make hot green tea. I'll mix 1 T almond butter with 1 T cocoa powder and a little skim milk to help blend and warm slightly in the microwave. Then I add frozen fruit like berries or half banana and top with greek yogurt or lite cool whip (whatever I have on hand). It fullfils the creamy, sweet and good fat/chocolate fix.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    eat lighter throughout the day; save the calories so you can do most of your eating in the evening.
    Yep. Don't fall for the "don't eat after X pm" myth. Here's some info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390149-should-i-eat-at-night
  • Rocnut
    Options

I would not do that. Eat more at the start of the day and spread it out throughout the day evenly after breakfast. Just eat the right type of breakfast. Not fatty sausages and syrup soaked pancakes. Something with alot of fiber like multigrain waffles with light preservatives and no butter.

edit: appear those with "sweet toothes" are more apt to fall into this category.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Eat more at the start of the day and spread it out throughout the day evenly after breakfast.
    Don't fall for the "you have to eat smaller meals spread out" myth either. Some info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397321-should-i-eat-lots-of-smaller-meals
  • taso42
    Options

I would not do that. Eat more at the start of the day and spread it out throughout the day evenly after breakfast. Just eat the right type of breakfast. Not fatty sausages and syrup soaked pancakes. Something with alot of fiber like multigrain waffles with light preservatives and no butter.

edit: appear those with "sweet toothes" are more apt to fall into this category.

Why would you not do that? Oh, perhaps it's because you don't have an issue with being hungry at night, whereas the OP does.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I save about 100-200 calories for the evening. I have a 100 calorie minibag of popcorn or a Skinny Cow ice cream bar. If I'm really hungry and enough calories left, I'll have Special K Cracker Chips (110 calories for 30 chips) and 2 wedges of Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese spread (70 calories) for a total of 180 calories.

I am a "grazer", so I have to plan snacks throughout the day. I have about 400 calories I budget for snacks each day (morning, afternoon, and evening). I've lost 27.6 pounds since September, so I know this works. For me, it was about replacing the snacks with low-calorie options. Eliminating them altogether wouldn't have worked for me; I'm also hypoglycemic, so regular snacking is a must for me. Wednesdays are the only day that's different because I eat dinner at church at 5:00, which is about 1 to 1.5 hours earlier than the rest of the week. So I skip the afternoon snack and eat at church, then I have a snack when I get home from choir practice at about 9:00.

Enjoy an evening snack...just find options that are low-calorie and will satisfy your cravings, whether salty or sweet (when I can't decide if I want salty or sweet, I use Snackwell's fudge drizzled popcorn--130 calories--to satisfy both!).
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    IF (intermittent fasting) is was worked for me when having the same issue.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Apazman/view/one-meal-per-day-on-days-i-m-not-working-out-165876
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Eat more at the start of the day and spread it out throughout the day evenly after breakfast.
    Don't fall for the "you have to eat smaller meals spread out" myth either. Some info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397321-should-i-eat-lots-of-smaller-meals

True...some people don't need to do that. I do because of my hypoglycemia, but I know plenty of others that just eat 3 meals a day and nothing in-between, and some eat a light breakfast and lunch and a big dinner. You have to find what works for you individually. The best "diet" is the one you can stick to!
  • Rocnut
    Options

Why would you not do that? Oh, perhaps it's because you don't have an issue with being hungry at night, whereas the OP does.

You have to start your day with a good breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day. After a long night's rest, your body needs the fuel to get your metabolism going and give you energy for the rest of the day. And eating regular meals like clockwork that fits your needs prevents bingeing. The part where you never go empty also helps with those who are packing on fat burning muscle furnaces. When you go empty, yes, your body taps into fat stores.. but unfortunately not only that. You lose lean muscle as well. That is counterproductive in every way.

Oh, and yes I do (or did) have a problem with binging after dinner at night. I would eat ice cream, white castle burgers, etc. I just had the willpower and drive to do what it takes to curb that and now feel I'd pass on my experiences and knowledge and success.

Oh, and fasting.. the absolute WORST thing you can do for every reason I've listed above. You'll temporarily ramp up burning fat for the moment (and muscle) but your metabolism will crash if you fall into this habit.
  • taso42
    Options

You have to start your day with a good breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day. After a long night's rest, your body needs the fuel to get your metabolism going and give you energy for the rest of the day. And eating regular meals like clockwork that fits your needs prevents bingeing. The part where you never go empty also helps with those who are packing on fat burning muscle furnaces. When you go empty, yes, your body taps into fat stores.. but unfortunately not only that. You lose lean muscle as well. That is counterproductive in every way.

This is obsolete broscience. Time and frequency of meals are irrelevant.
  • Rocnut
    Options

This is obsolete broscience.

You're one of those people who take constructive criticism personally aren't you? The world needs balance I guess :)
  • taso42
    Options

You're one of those people who take constructive criticism personally aren't you? The world needs balance I guess :)

No, I'm one of those people who is a nerd and spends countless hours trying to squash myths on this website.

I'm also someone who was fat and weak, who is now lean and strong. And I eat at night, a lot.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

He's right, you know.
  • Rocnut
    Options
    Well even with that said, it appears that there are much MUCH more success stories on these forums as opposed to utter failures. I've logged on to provide my advice and what works for me after seeing the title of this thread on the front page. When it comes down to it, do what works best for you, right? Best advice I can give before I get back to work is for all of you to FIND what works for you and don't buy into the mythbusters, naysayers, and know-it-alls.