I struggle in the evenings

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well even with that said, it appears that there are much MUCH more success stories on these forums as opposed to utter failures. I've logged on to provide my advice and what works for me after seeing the title of this thread on the front page. When it comes down to it, do what works best for you, right? Best advice I can give before I get back to work is for all of you to FIND what works for you and don't buy into the mythbusters, naysayers, and know-it-alls.

I would agree with that. But here's the problem, this thread is perfect example. Losing weight is hard enough without us burdening ourselves with extra rules. I have seen so many threads like this where some poor soul is trying to force themselves to stop eating at some ungodly hour like 7:00 p.m. and hating it. Why? What purpose does that serve? All the "mythbusters" are trying to get across is that no one HAS to do this.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give before I get back to work is for all of you to FIND what works for you and don't buy into the mythbusters, naysayers, and know-it-alls.
    Yes, heaven forbid we should help the person that posed the question by providing them with proven facts. I'm not a know-it-all, but I do like to learn the facts, so that I'm not tied down by silly restrictions that have no bearing on my weight loss.

OP, here's a great article (with reputable sources), debunking some of the myths perpetuated in this very thread:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • Rocnut
    Rocnut Posts: 19
    Options
    Well even with that said, it appears that there are much MUCH more success stories on these forums as opposed to utter failures. I've logged on to provide my advice and what works for me after seeing the title of this thread on the front page. When it comes down to it, do what works best for you, right? Best advice I can give before I get back to work is for all of you to FIND what works for you and don't buy into the mythbusters, naysayers, and know-it-alls.

I would agree with that. But here's the problem, this thread is perfect example. Losing weight is hard enough without us burdening ourselves with extra rules. I have seen so many threads like this where some poor soul is trying to force themselves to stop eating at some ungodly hour like 7:00 p.m. and hating it. Why? What purpose does that serve? All the "mythbusters" are trying to get across is that no one HAS to do this.

The platform is right in front of us. Calories in vs. calories burnt. If you set your mind to it, your body will follow. Unfortunately, cheating by starvation is worse than cheating by going over your allowed calorie plan for each day. My point from the beginning is that you need to find median ground and follow it throughout the day. But believe me, I do feel insatiable at times. But I stick to my objectives the best way I know how.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Unfortunately, cheating by starvation is worse than cheating by going over your allowed calorie plan for each day.
    The "broscience" tag was applied to the notion that one has to eat X calories in the morning, and that it will boost one's metabolism. This has been proven to be untrue, as well as the idea that one has to eat their calories spread out or before a certain time of the evening.

The OP asked about eating in the evening, and many of us are providing the facts -- that the percentage of her daily calories eaten at night is up to him/her -- and not to be pigeonholed into eating a certain number at a certain time of day, based on a myth.
  • Rocnut
    Rocnut Posts: 19
    Options
    I hear you. But it works for me. Breakfast has been my biggest meal in the day for the past several months. While I've lost 25lbs of fat (mostly must stubborn beer gut that is no where to be found and not missed), I've gained back almost 10 in solid muscle.

The starvation bit was sparked by folks mentioning skipping meals and the sort during the day only to eat more at night. If you overdo it by following that mindset, it's like velocitation on the freeway. You go faster and faster without even realizing it. Thus hijacking your progress. And that is my opinion based on what I know.

I read that broscience statment wrong so I apologize to that individual for being rude.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    The starvation bit was sparked by folks mentioning skipping meals and the sort during the day only to eat more at night. If you overdo it by following that mindset, it's like velocitation on the freeway. You go faster and faster without even realizing it. Thus hijacking your progress. And that is my opinion based on what I know.
    I provided a link previously, that outlines some commonly held myths about fasting and the infamous "starvation mode".
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

As long as you're hitting your calorie and macro targets, you are not starving. Some people do this formally, and it's called intermittent fasting aka (IF). Totally anecdotal, but many of those who do IF have awesome physiques and are very comfortable with the lifestyle.

I'm not one of them, by the way. I prefer to eat often. We agree that it's personal preference and "what works for you". In THIS PARTICULAR thread, I was suggesting a way for the OP to live more comfortably by structuring his day so that he can eat more at night.
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i used to have the biggest problem with binging at night. i still do sometimes. i do good throughout the day while i'm busy, at work, etc, but when i get home i want to stuff my face. XD

now, instead of eating snacks, i'll drink a cup of sugar free french vanilla Maxwell House cappuccino. it's only 30 calories per cup, warm and filling, and satisfies me before bedtime. :D plus it tastes amazing~
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i used to have that problem. all day i would watch calories so much that by 10 pm i'd have 800 calories left for the day and i'd eat all of them in junk food because i could. my friend told me to eat a bigger dinner around 7-8. i started eating 600-700 calories dinners and the evening is so much easier. i feel so full after dinner and i see that i have like 200 calories left for the day so i don't bother snacking nearly as much.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The phrase "obsolete broscience" made me giggle out loud.

I don't care about all this "do this not that" jamming down my throat (didn't I just post that somewhere else tonight?).

I struggle with this as well. I behave all day, even have a treat if I want it, and then the evening arrives. I eat a good dinner, that I enjoyed preparing, I clean up, and then my Inner Fattie shows up. Watch out cookies, crackers, chips (do all temptations start with C? Mmmm, Cannoli). It's never a serving, it's the whole bag/box that Inner Fattie wants. I try tea, decaf coffee, chocolate Silk. I loved the idea about the Atomic Fire Balls, I'll have to get some. I also am sitting here, with new nail polish getting ready to paint my nails so I have my hands occupied when I am done stalking MFP. Writing in a journal (or currently, writing Christmas cards) has kept me busy. But forget it, I lay down in bed with my book and Inner Fattie returns!

Thanks for sharing your solutions everyone!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to eat dinner late. I can hold out until dinner because I know it's coming. There's not enough time between dinner and bed to get hungry again, and I can go to bed with a comfortably full stomach. I also tend to have a lighter lunch and breakfast so I can have a full, normal dinner.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    we've all been here. you do great all day, then you get home, binge, ruin the hard work you've done and feel horribly guilty about it. a dangerous cycle indeed. i agree with some of the others, it's important to find out why you binge (sadness, boredom, the rest of yrou family is binging at the same time, etc.) and try to tackle that. the main thing though for me is DISTRACTION.

working out in the evening is a good way to take up some time. you can also find another activity to add to your routine (maybe start a nightly family walk, volunteer, play a board game, etc.). if i don't do something else besides watch tv, i'm going to start eating while i sit there on the couch. food and tv just seem to go together so well.

as far as your food goes, i always try and leave a few extra calories for the end of the day because i know those cravings will come. rather than have a snack in the afternoon, i prefer to save it for when i know my self control won't be as strong. a glass of low-fat chocolate milk always is a good option. if you don't have any calories left over or very few, munch on celery sticks and drink herbal tea (no caffiene late). drinking tea or chewing gum are good because they keep your mouth and hands busy.

another trick is i always leave a resistance band right next to the couch. when i'm feeling like a want a snack, i do a few minutes of arm curls and other light exercises with the band and usually that's enough change my mind about the snack.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Smash out a big lunchtime workout and eat lighter at lunch to offset damage...eat AFTER workout will make you feel invigorated and curb appetite til later... go and workout again in the evenings and eat evening meal later... working out = no snacking/eating plus appetite supressant and finishing later means less time to snack... especially when full from evening meal!

Worked VERY well for me!
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I always have cravings in the evenings, unfortunately I usually give in :(
  • Marieisbell
    Options
    I take my dog for a walk and eat 1 cup black seedless grapes.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Agree with the "plan for it" comments. Sometime during the day I often know what my evening snack will be or have an idea. I pick something to look forward to and plan for it. I avoid ice cream at all costs for now because I can't control the desire for more. I'll mature :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I workout at night. But I eat a light dinner before. The workouts help curb hunger for a bit. Then come home and eat a protein shake with banana and milk. If that doesn't do it, I'll eat an apple or air popcorn. I usually okay with the calorie count this way
  • abracasqueak
    Options
    Evenings are worst for me too. I've noticed ever since I've been adding a heavy workout at night I am not craving anything but a shower and bed though! :)

If you don't work out at night, I would suggest maybe trying? Even if it is just 30 min walking on the treadmill.

If you are strongly depriving yourself of something you LOVE to eat, depriving will honestly lead to not so good thoughts about wanting to eat whatever it is you are craving. Just realize that you can't completely deprive yourself of foods you love (just don't eat them every night). Remember: it is an awesome practice of discipline and continuing a healthy lifestyle to only take ONE cookie or ONE forkful of cake if you are craving it horribly. Being satisfied with less is a breeding ground for healthy eating habits.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The last 30 minutes before i lay down to go to bed are the most starving feeling times for me. I know that i made this habit from years of eating prob 2000 calories then immediately going to bed on a very full stomach. i used to be able to bust out like 4 oatmeal cream pies in 5 minutes. Dang that Little Debbie witch!
    I still struggle with this, and have now tried to replace those snacks with better options. i usually eat a bag of the 94% fat free popcorn when i really want to feel full. its only like 130 calories for the big bag. Fiber one cereal is good too.
    I have a problem with going to sleep, then waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and i end up in the kitchen ravenous for sweets. i keep the special k 90 calorie bars in the cabinet for this reason.
    I used to think that i should not eat right before bed, but now i know that it doesnt matter, you just shouldnt eat a bunch of crap. JUST LIKE IN THE DAYTIME :)
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    This is the worst for me, too. Honestly, it's just a matter of establishing a habit. The first few weeks are hell. The next few weeks are not much better. But eventually, evenings won't be so bad anymore, as long as you can maintain enough willpower for a long enough period of time to form a lasting habit. Before I took a flying leap off the wagon, I had gotten my nighttime snacking and grazing totally under control and I didn't feel like I was suffering at all.