Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Raw Foodism

13»

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    so....... i went on a raw food cleanse for 2 days and had to stop because i got extrememly sick. i was expecting detox symptoms, but did not expect it to be as bad as it was. pounding monster migraine-type headache, really bad diahrhea, nausea, etc.

it amazes me how completely toxic my body is. it did not like veggies AT ALL which says alot about the poor state of my health. the first day, i really enjoyed the foods. i tried for the "whole foods" approach, without alot of prep time (which is what most raw foodist default too after a period of transitioning, with recipes etc. making the switch easier.) i can say that i will absolutely keep trying to eat as much raw as possible. this morning, i feel great and the feedback i have gotten from the people on a raw forum has been really enlightening.

i love love love meat, but after reading about what it does to the body, the planet and the poor animals themselves, it makes me really rethink if that steak is worth it.

as for the proteim debate, apparently it has been questioned for as long as raw foodism has been [popular, but there are literally hundreds of raw foodies out there who have been doing the lifestyle since the 60's with no animal or bean protein, and they are surviving and thriving. i guess it all comes down to who you trust and what you beleive.

there's one thing that really struck me about protien. if companies were truthful about the lack of animal protien needed, that would pretty much have bankrupted the majority of the weightloss industry, the cattle, poulty and pork industries, the supplement industries, and so on. i'm still in the early phases of researching this lifestyle, but it seems very interesting to me and i look forward to making as much of a raw food switch as i can.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    so....... i went on a raw food cleanse for 2 days and had to stop because i got extrememly sick. i was expecting detox symptoms, but did not expect it to be as bad as it was. pounding monster migraine-type headache, really bad diahrhea, nausea, etc.

it amazes me how completely toxic my body is. it did not like veggies AT ALL which says alot about the poor state of my health. the first day, i really enjoyed the foods. i tried for the "whole foods" approach, without alot of prep time (which is what most raw foodist default too after a period of transitioning, with recipes etc. making the switch easier.) i can say that i will absolutely keep trying to eat as much raw as possible. this morning, i feel great and the feedback i have gotten from the people on a raw forum has been really enlightening.

i love love love meat, but after reading about what it does to the body, the planet and the poor animals themselves, it makes me really rethink if that steak is worth it.

as for the proteim debate, apparently it has been questioned for as long as raw foodism has been [popular, but there are literally hundreds of raw foodies out there who have been doing the lifestyle since the 60's with no animal or bean protein, and they are surviving and thriving. i guess it all comes down to who you trust and what you beleive.

there's one thing that really struck me about protien. if companies were truthful about the lack of animal protien needed, that would pretty much have bankrupted the majority of the weightloss industry, the cattle, poulty and pork industries, the supplement industries, and so on. i'm still in the early phases of researching this lifestyle, but it seems very interesting to me and i look forward to making as much of a raw food switch as i can.

One of the most important things for me in making any kind of signifcant change is to approach it gradually and with moderation. Whether it be working out or my fuel (food). Some while ago, I went vegan and then raw and found it too demanding to maintain and the issue of animal proteins is a completely different argument.

Forr me I am sure, going raw is just too much too expect without a longer time foundation and a better base of eating clean, then vegeatarian then vegan and then raw. To go from pizzas straight to raw is not realistic. This is tough love but please be assured it is said with thebest intentions. You are setting yourself up for something that you haven't prepared for. Try just simple clean eating. It is hard at first but 100 times easier than going raw food. The benefits you will get from clean eating will amaze you.
    good luck
    Dave
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member

One of the most important things for me in making any kind of signifcant change is to approach it gradually and with moderation. Whether it be working out or my fuel (food). Some while ago, I went vegan and then raw and found it too demanding to maintain and the issue of animal proteins is a completely different argument.

Forr me I am sure, going raw is just too much too expect without a longer time foundation and a better base of eating clean, then vegeatarian then vegan and then raw. To go from pizzas straight to raw is not realistic. This is tough love but please be assured it is said with thebest intentions. You are setting yourself up for something that you haven't prepared for. Try just simple clean eating. It is hard at first but 100 times easier than going raw food. The benefits you will get from clean eating will amaze you.
    good luck
    Dave
    Excellent points made Dave...gradual on any changes is always what seems to work best.:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member

good luck
    Dave

Good morning Dave..................

My personal opinion on the detox thing, is not to do it gradually............but to get it done and over with.

Yes, suffer the migraines, diahrrea, shakes, withdrawals, etc.................get it over with so your body doesn't do it in small ways like periodically zapping your energy, etc.............

Dec 29, 2008 I started Atkins, gave up caffeine and stopped smoking the same day.....................OMG, by January 2, 2009 I was soooo sick. Migraine headaches, vomiting, diahrrea, night sweats, shaking etc...............I thought I was sick with the flu............

After 4 or 5 days of feeling absolutely HORRIBLE, I got this burst of energy that has gotten me going ever since.................

It is best to tough it out, get it done and over with and be on with life with an absolutely new zest.

To each his own though!!!
  • The food combining theory is a myth that has been debunked. Animal flesh proteins are "complete," meaning they contain all nine essential amino acids in amounts similar to those found in human flesh. Plants have all these too, just in slightly differing amounts. It was previously believed that in order to create proteins from vegetarian foods, you needed to combine them in specific ways. For example, rice and beans had to be eaten together to maximize their potential. However, it is now known that eating a variety of foods (which I hope anyone gets on any diet) from plant sources provides all the building blocks we need. Further, the microorganisms and recycled organisms in our intestinal tracts make complete proteins for us. All we have to do is eat healthy balanced diets.

I hope I didn't come off as defensive, and if I did, I apologize. I would have to agree that veganism does take more planning and more care. But being *healthy* takes more planning and more care... We all have this cocktail of nutritents- vitamins, minerals, lipids, proteins, carbohydrates- to balance, and I guess the debate is just the form you're getting it in. Vegans may worry about fatty acids and B12, but omnivores have to watch their cholesterol and probably some vitamins and minerals (and rBGH!). We all have to work hard to be balanced and healthy. But I have not found (in research, or on my personal heath) that the exclusion of animal products creates any problems. Rather, it has only proven to solve them.

Hope this helps!
  • marqcheer09
    marqcheer09 Posts: 15 Member
    Im a raw Foodist! :D
    i love it so much.
    its amazing and i feel healthier everyday,
    yes. it takes lots of discipline though its so worth it.
This discussion has been closed.