Do people try to guess your weight

I get people guessing my weight constantly at the gym, but why do people keep guessing I weigh so much more than my actuaI weight

I'm 5'9" and currently 155 pounds trying to bulk up to 165 pounds, then go on a cut down to 160 pounds or so, but people keep guessing that I'm anywhere from 170-190 pounds

Replies

• Yup! All the time. I get varied guesses. from 110-145 pounds xD
  • mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    maybe they are judging by how much the weights you lift weigh. it would be easier to understand someone that has a weight of 200 pounds lifting 250 pounds than someone weighing 150 pounds and lifting 250 pounds.

no no one guesses my weight
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    I love when people try to guess my weight. They usually think I weigh less than I do so I say keep the guesses comin'! ;) lol.
  • Always my family xD "You are too thin, are you 110 pounds??" or the guy at work "My girlfriend is a little smaller than you, about 145 pounds." LOL

I think I did this exact face:
    sFGDH-1.jpg
  • yip i always get about 5kgs lighter than what i am - so its nice haha
  • Yes and since they are WAY low it is kind of flattering.......except the whole "you are too skinny and you have no curves thing" mostly from family......
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Yea it's quite hurtful when they try to guess mines lol. My cousin in August said "You must weigh close to 200".....I said um nooo..... I am 175 now (while eating a huge breadstick lol) .... Kind of hurt my feelings (my highest weight was 195 but that was noticable months and months ago....Now I have lost 24 pounds to date. I cant wait until the day when someone tries to guess my weight and say, "Hey you look about 135 pounds" and I will say.. "Yup! Thanks to MFP!" .... Yup I hope that happens by March 2012 and it will! :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Always my family xD "You are too thin, are you 110 pounds??" or the guy at work "My girlfriend is a little smaller than you, about 145 pounds." LOL

I think I did this exact face:
    sFGDH-1.jpg

Thanks for making miIk come out of my nose! Brain freeze :(
    Yeah, one dude was Iike "Hey bruh, you weight about as much as me huh, Iike 190 or so"
    My repIy, "yeah, with my weight vest on and fuIIy Ioaded down with 40 pounds" He didn't get it :(
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Yea it's quite hurtful when they try to guess mines lol. My cousin in August said "You must weigh close to 200".....I said um nooo..... I am 175 now (while eating a huge breadstick lol) .... Kind of hurt my feelings (my highest weight was 195 but that was noticable months and months ago....Now I have lost 24 pounds to date. I cant wait until the day when someone tries to guess my weight and say, "Hey you look about 135 pounds" and I will say.. "Yup! Thanks to MFP!" .... Yup I hope that happens by March 2012 and it will! :)

You got it in the bag girl, show everyone who's boss!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Not unless they want to get smacked!
  • Yes. They tend to really close or under :)

With you I think because of you muscle they automatically think you weigh more
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    yeh i had a woman in the shop grab some pants off me and tell me that shed get my size for me or they could order something larger in .. i was like urm they are my size - all cus i have boobs grrr ive worked hard to get to a size 12 (nz) lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Some do. They usually think I'm over 200lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Ahh! Nobody has tried to guess my weight, I think no matter what they said, I'd end up upset! LOL
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    They usually think I'm 110 to 115, but I weigh about 30 lbs more.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Nope, why would you even bother trying to guess someone's weight unless they asked? Strange people.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Nope, why would you even bother trying to guess someone's weight unless they asked? Strange people.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    It's crazy how people, family and/or strangers, think it's appropriate to guess to ask about your weight. But yeah people try to guess mine all the time and always guess wayyyy under.

I'm a solid 135 and I get guesses of 115-ish all the time, which is hilarious, because I weighed 115 once and I looked like a walking skeleton. I've recently started climbing with a new group so we ended up sharing our weights to try and determine who should belay who and they were all shocked when I told them how much I weighed. Win?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    I've never had anyone guess my weight correctly, but I have had people look at me and know what my clothing size is.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    People think I weigh less but it's because I wear all black for work/school. Black is the new slim/slim is the new black :)