Could you stop if you had too?

Options
124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this quite a bit over the last few months. I work out 6 days a week for about an hour every day depending on what I am working on. A few months ago I hurt my foot so I had to take some time off of running to let my foot heal. It made me feel like I was going to lose my mind. To counteract that I started amping up my strength training finding new ways to work out that wouldn't irritate my injury.

So my question is for my fellow fitness nuts, can you rest even when you know it will do you good. I take every Saturday as a DOR and I value a day to let my body heal, I am talking about long term rest.

I do not remember the last time I went for more than 3 days without working out. The thought of doing it freaks me out.
    I take at least a full week off once a year, sometimes more. So yes I can do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I wish that I were at this point. To make it my routine and to miss it if I didnt get to work out. I struggle with feeling guilty for taking time away from my son. Im a huge homebody. I will get there ONE day hopefully!

I hate giving up my evening time with the kids. It's my drive to get up in the early mornings to get it done while they are sleeping.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Haven't read the replies.

I haven't been able to run in what seems like years. I'm pretty sure it's been just over two weeks. I seriously went through withdrawals. Cranky, nervous, anxious, jittery, etc. I was told my MRI was denied this morning and seriously ended up in tears because I NEED TO RUN!

I'm lifting 3-4x week and the thought of not being able to do anything makes me totally anxious. If I thought too much about it I'd probably have a panic attack.
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow! All you guys who have trouble NOT working out - I really hope I can be like that some day. I guess it would help if I had a gym membership. Maybe then I'd get more out of working out (hard to stay motivated when my workouts are just boring floor exercises that I can do in a tiny apartment).

Hmmm Maybe I should start a fund for a gym membership- a Help the Fat Girl Get Healthy Fund. lol

Yes, you should either join a gym or maybe find a nearby park to jog in! I personally would never exercise if not for my gym membership.

I too hope I someday have trouble not working out-- as it is I have trouble getting off my lazy *kitten* and going to the gym 3x or more a week. My body has no desire whatsoever to work out (but my mind does, so yay).

Yeah, if I can figure out how to get money for a gym I'd be all over that! :D I used to work out in a gym a few years ago, and have since moved and now can't afford a gym membership. I absolutely loved going to the gym (except for the stares and dirty looks I sometimes got - some people think it's funny watching a 350 lb woman working out lol). I really would love to work out at a gym again.

I can't really jog here in the winter time as I have a bronchial issue that makes my lungs unable handle the cold air if I breath it in for more than a few minutes. But man, if I had a gym membership I think I'd go at least 4 times a week. I really did enjoy working out at the gym near my house before I moved. I always felt so good after. I wonder if there is some sort of program that pays for a gym membership if you're poor and over a certain weight? I don't have insurance so I know that wouldn't cover it.

Stacy what did it for me was having something very specific to work for. I ordered my wedding dress based on my measurements and 3 weeks before the wedding it wouldn't fit! So I borrowed a copy of the Beachbody Insanity program. It was tough but I stuck to it because that dress just had to fit and I could think of nothing else that could get me there in time. It worked! And, by wedding day, I was already so hooked I couldn't go back. Then it became about finishing and earning the free shirt, now it's about training for a race in April, then another in September. Small goals at a time. Meet one, set another one. See progress, feel like doing more! Now I'm doing double workouts. Maybe I'm an adrenaline junkie, but if that's the worst of my vices I could have much bigger problems ;-)

There's so much you can do without even a gym membership. Start small, in the Spring put on a pair of shoes and go out for a walk. Then a few times a week start jogging for a minute at a time, then two. Then before you know it, you're running a few miles! (I can certainly appreciate the cold doing bad things for you... I'm asthmatic and the cold/dry air triggers many MANY attacks) Check with a local school or college, maybe they'll help you out and cut you a break on coming in and using their equipment. Use soup cans or bottles filled with water for weights. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Put on a CD and dance in the privacy of your living room. Be creative and make it fun!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That's some great advice! Thank you, Katie! :) I'm digging some of the ideas you gave me.

I'm working out every day, so trust me, I'm finding ways to do it. I just know it would be a lot easier for me if I had a gym membership. I'm hoping to find a way to get one. :)
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think I could stop!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I remember when I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle (badly) - my first thought was "oh great, now I won't be able to exercise anymore" and I basically bawled over it. lol.
  • lovefunmotion
    Options
    I can't. It's all or nothing for me. I'm either exercising and eating right or not exercising and not eating right. I don't want to go back to old habits and put on weight so no rest days for me.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i am nursing a knee problem. i exercise every day; low impact stuff like exercise bike and walking. i know the knee would probable heal more quickly if i took a week off, but the idea of giving up cardio scares me.

i have not gone more than a few days without exercise since i started years ago, and those few days were only when i was seriously ill.

if i really had to stop, i would, but i would vastly prefer not to stop.