Planet fitness....Is it your planet?!?!?!

Options
BEERRUNNER
BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
There is a Planet Fitness on my way home from work and its really convenient for me as I can stop in for a workout on my way home.
SoI walked in to check it out........
And noticed.........

Nice facility!
Tanning beds!
Nice batch of good looking chicks on the treadmills!(always good to have eye candy around)

BUT NO bench press!?!?!?!!
No incline or decline bench presses?!
No heavy hardcore weights like the Hammer series........

What do you think of this gym??

Replies

• directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    We have all those over here...
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Been going for a couple of weeks, a brand new facility.

They do the pizza and bagels, which everyone freaks out about. "Oh, they're trying to make you fat so that you keep coming!" Uh, yeah... Most everyone just ignored the bagel the other day, including me.

Nice, new equipment. I really like the 30 minute express circuit with steps and weight machines. Really push yourself, and it's a great workout.

They have plenty of weight machines and free weights. I guess this is something that many don't have much of, but mine does. They have cages where you can squat, incline and decline press. along with plenty of dumbbells.

Nice locker rooms, with private showers, plus the tanning booths and massage chairs.

Part I really like? $10 a month and no contract. Shazam!

I know it may not fill some people's needs as far as free weights and classes, but it works for me.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a crossfit gym before I set foot in one of those places
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i lift things up and put them down.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Will they do a 1 day pass???
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    the Planet fitness in Alaska have all of that...
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    we have em - never been in one - have been told they are cheap, as in machines IF ANY - hard to get time in tanning beds cause they are always taken - no daycare if you need it - no classes (thinks that depends on the facility) - trainers are less educated - who knows - I'm a believer in YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - Here, it's $9.95 a month .. that's a bit cheap ...

Good luck!!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    it's where I go. It's cheap, it has all I need.

I could do without the gross other gym members.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    They really market to the Non-Gym market. The lack of bench press is part of the process to prevent people from feeling intimidated. But if it fits your goals -go for it. I've never heard complaints about the staff or facilities.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

This. Once I get back in my groove and especially get more involved in lifting with free weights...I may change my gym. However for the price, right now PF will suffice.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

This. Once I get back in my groove and especially get more involved in lifting with free weights...I may change my gym. However for the price, right now PF will suffice.
    When I've got the money I'll join something better. They do have **some free weights. Not that much less than other gyms I've been to.
    As far as the classes and trainers, I want neither.. so who cares?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    i lift things up and put them down.

+1
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    Wow!!!! Our Planet Fitness has EVERYTHING! Its awesome....I think it depends on the independent owner what & which type of equipment is in there, but for $10/month, u cant beat it!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    we have em - never been in one - have been told they are cheap, as in machines IF ANY - hard to get time in tanning beds cause they are always taken - no daycare if you need it - no classes (thinks that depends on the facility) - trainers are less educated - who knows - I'm a believer in YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - Here, it's $9.95 a month .. that's a bit cheap ...

Good luck!!
    Where I don't want the classes, trainers, or day care, I appreciate not having to pay for them -- like I was at Gold's Gym.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Does Barney work out there?
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Ours has all that stuff - not that I use it, but it's there :) So are the tanning beds I'll never use.

I use the cardio stuff and machines - the equipment is available and works. That's what matters to me and you can't beat the price.

The showers/locker room are not nearly as nice or clean as the one's at my other gym by work - but no problem, unlike going on my work lunch, I can shower at home. I always wear flip flops in gym showers anyway because really - ewwwww.

I've yet to see the pizza... but they said they order it from papa gino's up the street. My husband burnt off more than 2 slices of that on the treadmill last night. If people want to eat it so be it. Maybe that's their dinner :)

There's also always a good size crowd there - which I like - because in my head, I am always competing with the person next to me on the treadmill or elliptical - even if I'm losing it's still sort of fun.

Oh and their equipment is NOT cheap - ours has life fitness treadmills and ellipticals - the same stuff as
    Bally's and Boston Sports club (my day gym at 3xs the price)

The only thing I wish they had but don't is towel service.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a member and do like it. While the one I go to does have the minimum or amenities/services - it has what I need and for a good price. We do have all the bench press gear, though.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Will they do a 1 day pass???

Yes, for $20....
  • sshineman
    Options
    I go to PF and think it's great. I am mostly going for cardio and they have all the machines I need for that. I do enjoy the 30 minute circuit as well. For $10 you can't go wrong.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

When I've got the money I'll join something better. They do have **some free weights. Not that much less than other gyms I've been to.
    As far as the classes and trainers, I want neither.. so who cares?

Ahh well I'm more interested in the classes....I miss not having spinning, and other classes as well as the opportunity of Zumba classes and such. There is another gym around here that costs the same as PF and has daycare, plus the classes so I may suck it up and drive 10 extra minutes to go there. I get way too bored just doing cardio machines and weight machines...