Planet fitness....Is it your planet?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    i lift things up and put them down.

^^^ This
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Will they do a 1 day pass???

Yes, for $20....

$20.00 for a 1 day pass!!??!?!?!?! thatz crazzzyyyyy.

Im gonna try and sneak in there today and work out! bwahahahahha I wanna get a workout in before I commit!:bigsmile:

Do you know someone? You can bring a guest - free

And I've never had a gym say I couldn't work out 1st to see if I liked it - one time free.

Got one for $10.00
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    I think its a gym for people who don't want to work out.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've got one of the $20/month memberships. There is one by my house, and one by my work (and I use both). Both are always very clean, and the equipment is very new, and I always see the staff cleaning them. I'll have to say for the price, this is a great option. I would like to see some more varied weight lifting equipment, but its worth it for me.

I'm not looking to get really huge anyway, just looking to tone now mostly.

They have enough stuff for me.

I work crazy hours, so that fact that ANY gym near my house is open 24 hours during the week and its really well priced is good for me.

When the weather gets even worse outside and I can't get my miles in (snow, ice, sub 30 degrees), I will be going even more.

*A gym that I will go to and use is better than any gym at all.*
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

If someone on the internet could offend me, I might be offended. Careful what you say please. I did some great HIIT last night and some good lifting (if I do say so myself :smile: )

As for PF, I enjoy it. Mine is not too crowded. The equipment is in great shape and don't break down (another cheap gym I went to always had broken equipment.

The staff are nice and the locker room is always clean. There is not a wait for the dumbells I use.

For the price of $10 a month, I am not sure what more I would want.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

haha - I have a gym full of people sweating their butts off who would disagree :)

People who don't want to work out don't regularly frequent ANY gym.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I heard they banned my favorite exercise - the deadlift! Definitely not my planet.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    Wow - I can't believe it's $20 for a one day pass considering right now it's free registration and $10 a month! I LOVE my PF. They just remodeled it and it's amazing - all new equiptment....state of the art tanning beds...classes daily/weekly..personal trainers...and i NEVER have to wait for anything...even thouhg there is a lot of people they have enough machines to accomodate everyone...

and of course..THE PRICE. you can't beat how cheap it is for what it offers...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Been going for a couple of weeks, a brand new facility.

They do the pizza and bagels, which everyone freaks out about. "Oh, they're trying to make you fat so that you keep coming!" Uh, yeah... Most everyone just ignored the bagel the other day, including me.

Nice, new equipment. I really like the 30 minute express circuit with steps and weight machines. Really push yourself, and it's a great workout.

They have plenty of weight machines and free weights. I guess this is something that many don't have much of, but mine does. They have cages where you can squat, incline and decline press. along with plenty of dumbbells.

Nice locker rooms, with private showers, plus the tanning booths and massage chairs.

Part I really like? $10 a month and no contract. Shazam!

I know it may not fill some people's needs as far as free weights and classes, but it works for me.

Yep, 100% agreed here, I go to Planet Fitness and there are incline and decline benches, 2 squat cages, a Smith machine, tons of free weights and tons of machines. For cheap it's awesome, plus the personal trainer on staff for free is nice also.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Wow - I can't believe it's $20 for a one day pass considering right now it's free registration and $10 a month! I LOVE my PF. They just remodeled it and it's amazing - all new equiptment....state of the art tanning beds...classes daily/weekly..personal trainers...and i NEVER have to wait for anything...even thouhg there is a lot of people they have enough machines to accomodate everyone...

and of course..THE PRICE. you can't beat how cheap it is for what it offers...

I think the $20 - one day pass was meant to be sarcastic. Pretty sure that they meant that you need to pay the registration fee to get the membership to be allowed to have "one day".

My location let me come in a look around for a while before I decided to get the membership.

Remember, the best gym membership is the one that you will actually use.
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    The owner/opperator of the stores in my state (New Mexico) is such a *kitten*. One day, my husband and I were searching the parking lot forever for a spot and finally parked in the lot across the street.... this location is ALWAYS SUPER BUSY and it shares a lot with some other businesses in the same strip mall. When we were walking up to the front of the gym, we saw a very nice Mercedes coupe parked crooked in a handicap spot right in front of the store (no handicap sticker or anything). We thought it was a good idea to tell the clerk so they can have it towed. We told the clerk at the front who told us that the car was the owner's. We were at the gym for at least 45 mins and the car was there the whole time. What a jerk!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is my gym as well. The price being the winning point for me. I am lucky, my facility bought an old Gold's Gym. So they have all the free weight equipment.

However... that said....

If you are looking to build... this is NOT the gym you want to put your money into. I would suggest the YMCA before Planet Fitness if you want a cheap gym that allows weight lifting.

On the other hand, if you want somewhere to run on the tread mill and do some basic hand weight exercises, Planet Fitness is worth the money.
    Will they do a 1 day pass???

They are supposed to give you a free day work out. BUT... if they don't, find someone who goes and ask if you can be their guest for the day. A black card member can bring a friend for free any time.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    The owner/opperator of the stores in my state (New Mexico) is such a *kitten*. One day, my husband and I were searching the parking lot forever for a spot and finally parked in the lot across the street.... this location is ALWAYS SUPER BUSY and it shares a lot with some other businesses in the same strip mall. When we were walking up to the front of the gym, we saw a very nice Mercedes coupe parked crooked in a handicap spot right in front of the store (no handicap sticker or anything). We thought it was a good idea to tell the clerk so they can have it towed. We told the clerk at the front who told us that the car was the owner's. We were at the gym for at least 45 mins and the car was there the whole time. What a jerk!
    That's a strong indicator of being a serious d***** bag.
  • Juliealittle
    Juliealittle Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Ha. No, you don't see hardcore bodybuilders, but what percentage of your community are hardcore bodybuilders? The vast majority are regular people who need to lose some weight or tone up...and PF is a great place to do that. The people who go to PF, do workout (and workout hard)...because if they didn't want to workout, they would be sitting at home.
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options

Oh, and the whole "lunk alarm" thing is total BS. You're the "judgement free" zone, but you are going to sound an alarm when someone drops a weight or grunts? Way to make a bunch of people who are self conscious about themselves feel even worse and embarrass them!

No thank you. I will work out on my own thankyouverymuch.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Ha. No, you don't see hardcore bodybuilders, but what percentage of your community are hardcore bodybuilders? The vast majority are regular people who need to lose some weight or tone up...and PF is a great place to do that. The people who go to PF, do workout (and workout hard)...because if they didn't want to workout, they would be sitting at home.

I actually see and know quite a few hardcore bodybuilders that work out at my Planet Fitness. Sometimes I think I'm imagining the sign that says Planet Fitness on the door, because my gym seems to be the opposite of most of the criticisms I see people level at PF. :laugh:

Also, in 9 months of membership, I have heard several weights hit the ground, and never once heard the dreaded "lunk alarm." Maybe it's just on the wall for show?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Oh, and the whole "lunk alarm" thing is total BS. You're the "judgement free" zone, but you are going to sound an alarm when someone drops a weight or grunts? Way to make a bunch of people who are self conscious about themselves feel even worse and embarrass them!

No thank you. I will work out on my own thankyouverymuch.
    Haven't seen it done, and really doubt that they would be foolish enough to call a customer out like that. All for show, I suspect.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options

What??? It is comments like this that keep people from getting into a gym (any gym) in the first place.

They have all sorts of cardio equipment and weight machines. Just because MOST of their clientele are not squatting 600 pounds doesn't mean people are not there to work out. If you cannot walk into a Planet Fitness and come out with a decent work out, it is your fault.

Also... look at our society. MOST people do not want to work out. Hell, look at SEVERAL of the threads in the forums on this site. They are full of people asking how to lose weight with less work. How often do people walk their dogs, go to the park, play OUTSIDE with their kids. How often to parents take the video game from the kid and make them go outside? Even the heavy body builders will tell you they HATE cardio. So to put down ANY facility that gets people off their butts and moving into action really is rather ignorant. At least people are moving.

McDonald's ... is for people who don't want to work out.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    i lift things up and put them down.

+1

I like that one and the guy going bam bam bam bam
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    McDonald's ... is for people who don't want to work out.
    You're rebutting one hasty generalization with another.

McDonald's is for people that like to eat it. Some will overdo it, others will not. Some of those people will workout, others will not. Some of us can handle fast food on occasion and still manage to lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/421458-oh-no-whoppers-part-2

:flowerforyou: