Does what your SO think affect your goal?

I was talking to my fiance today about me doing the 30ds and he said "I hope your not aiming for a body like that woman on the box as muscles look gross on a woman" I am doing the 30ds to get healthier and never really gave a thought to what she looked like. then I was reading the post about 6packs on women and someone said that their husband didn't like six packs so she won't be getting one.

So I was wondering does what your SO think affect what your aiming for?

I'm personally just trying to look better than I do now and I know I will never be that muscley as I don't have the drive and dedication/time to have a 6pack but if I wanted one I would do it for me and no one else.

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    Your bodyfat percentage has to get down to a certain level for that much definition to show in your muscles anyway. You could easily HAVE those muscles on your body, but not see them so obviously if your BF% is a little higher than that person.

My SO is just happy that I'm losing weight, getting healthier, and happy with myself. He has not made any comments for me to 'not do too much' or anything like that.

Plus it probably takes a lot more than just regular shredding to look like that. You're not going to get bulging muscles and super low BF from one round of the shred with small handweights. (and that comment is coming from a person currently shredding all 3 levels each day) Tell your fiance 'never fear!' LOL
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    You do it for you! Most likely he's jealous you have a goal and are willing to work hard to achieve it. If he doesn't love you anyway he never did!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    My wife has no idea about fitness so my goal is not really affected by her. As long as my time in the gym doens't affect our family time too much.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    My SO thinks definition is sexy. His only hope is that I don't get "skinny".

Lucky me!
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Your bodyfat percentage has to get down to a certain level for that much definition to show in your muscles anyway. You could easily HAVE those muscles on your body, but not see them so obviously if your BF% is a little higher than that person.

My SO is just happy that I'm losing weight, getting healthier, and happy with myself. He has not made any comments for me to 'not do too much' or anything like that.

Plus it probably takes a lot more than just regular shredding to look like that. You're not going to get bulging muscles and super low BF from one round of the shred with small handweights. (and that comment is coming from a person currently shredding all 3 levels each day) Tell your fiance 'never fear!' LOL
    He has no worries at the moment as I didn't know you needed hand weights so until after Christmas I'm using tins of beans
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    No. But then he works with athletes so he is used to having very fit muscular women around.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member

He has no worries at the moment as I didn't know you needed hand weights so until after Christmas I'm using tins of beans

Hey beans count. But you'd probably need the giant commercial sized can of beans for him to have anything to worry about. :-D
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    My SO thinks definition is sexy. His only hope is that I don't get "skinny".

Lucky me!

Same here, he only hopes I don't get "too skinny". I hope to always have curves! I just want to be able and healthy! Now whether my SO's habits affect mine is a whole other story!

Do what you want for yourself.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    I don't give a *&^% what my SO thinks because it is my body.
    That is complete and utter crap.
    Do it for you.. muscles / 6 pack / or otherwise - your body will be with you longer than your SO.
    That is just basic statistics.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member

Hey beans count. But you'd probably need the giant commercial sized can of beans for him to have anything to worry about. :-D
    Lol no I don't like them that much. My three year old did keep pestering me to cook them for him while I was doing it last night though lol
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,340 Member
    My boyfriend just wants me to be healthy about it. He reminds me to eat enough, tells me I am doing a good job, makes sure he doesnt have tempting food that I dont need around. I dont think he would mind if I were to work up a 6 pack, but I dont think he would mind if I didn't either. He knows how important it is to me.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 277 Member
    My SO is all for me getting healthier and looking better!

The only drawback for him is me not being home every single night to cook dinner. I think he enjoys a night or two to himself as long as the house isn't a mess, so no worries.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    My husband LOVES my goal and is 100% supportive :heart:
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    No
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    I don't really let it affect me.
    I wish she was more supportive/understanding of my goals.

Right now she thinks I'm getting fat and doesn't quite understand that its a temporary thing to gain muscle, and that I can look at the big picture. I have a vision of what I'll look like in 2 years. It may be hard for friends and family to see it, but I know exactly what I have to do to achieve my goals.

Do what you need to do, and don't worry about what others think.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 486 Member
    My boyfriend just wants me to be healthy about it. He reminds me to eat enough, tells me I am doing a good job, makes sure he doesnt have tempting food that I dont need around. I dont think he would mind if I were to work up a 6 pack, but I dont think he would mind if I didn't either. He knows how important it is to me.

Wish my boyfriend was like yours!!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I try not to let it. Like was said already, it's my body, I decide. She's not much of a fan but that's her issue. Not mine. I'm happier this way and I'm excited to see just what I am capable of.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Not really, but if either one of us got too fat, the other would cheat for sure or seek a divorce.
    Can you blame people who do?

But my Jen is very active on MFP, fit and looking good, and we support each other.

All is well!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    at first my husband was very happy about my choice to loose the weight and get healthy. Along the way I suppose I became too focus, too determined and he saw my body changing so he became jealous, insecure and not very supportive. Right now he's good with the weight loss but I have to swear to him that I'm not trying to loose anymore. When I mentioned my BF% was still way to high, he told me I looked great. In other words he's not approving of anymore weight loss. I started this journey for myself and I'll end it for myself. It would be great if he'd do some things with me and offer more encouragement but at the end of the day I'm happy and that's all that matters.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    I definitely care what my husband thinks of my body, but I don't work out and eat right only for him. I want to feel good about myself.
    You can assure your fiance that Jillian Michaels does a lot more than the 30 day shred to look the way she looks. Your body type will dictate how your body responds to the work out.
    I am doing the 30 day shred and I use 5 pound weights. I know that I will never look like anyone who lifts heavy unless I start lifting heavy.