What do you eat after a workout

Options

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything right away because I am not hungry... I usually have whey protine in almond milk. The one have have tastes like oreo's so the vanilla almond milk makes it a little creamyier and less chalky.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have started an new goal to burn over 500 calories in a work out. I do some free weights and other exercises. drink lots of water during my workout.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have some chocolate soy milk and then after I get cleaned up some oatmeal or yogurt since I work out in the mornings. I will eat various things throughout my morning like eggs, Luna bar, fruit until I get to lunch.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Some kind of fruit.
  • Rzimmermano
    Options
    A personal trainer told me that within ten minutes you should take in a protein shake or smoothie. I have the Lifetime Fitness Whey Protein in vanilla, skim milk and two fruits. Normally berries since they are the best for you. It is important to feed the muscles that you just burned...granted, if you only work out for 20-30 minutes I don't eat anything. I'm talking about 60 minutes or more. To people that don't eat anything after a work out, you are only making your body hold on to fat which is what we are all trying to avoid right? Hope this helps! It helped me, I dropped 35 pounds and dropped 8 points in my overall body fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No Milk to much sugar PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN ..... For Muscle recovery

why would sugar be bad after a workout?
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Nothing for 1-2 hours.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of 0% fat plain greek yogurt + fruit after workouts lately.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer told me that within ten minutes you should take in a protein shake or smoothie. I have the Lifetime Fitness Whey Protein in vanilla, skim milk and two fruits. Normally berries since they are the best for you. It is important to feed the muscles that you just burned...granted, if you only work out for 20-30 minutes I don't eat anything. I'm talking about 60 minutes or more. To people that don't eat anything after a work out, you are only making your body hold on to fat which is what we are all trying to avoid right? Hope this helps! It helped me, I dropped 35 pounds and dropped 8 points in my overall body fat.

I have been told this is wrong and that you don't have to take anything after by a bunch of people.
    I will keep taking mine within the hour cause it makes more sense to me!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    This thread is going to fill up with more broscience than I can handle for one day.

With that being said.. anabolic window or no anabolic window, I always have, and always will eat after my workout, because my body likes it. I usually eat whole foods if possible, but a shake and a banana when in a pinch

Broscience?
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I try to go with a 100 Calorie Muscle Milk drink. Either that or a Gatorade-Protein drink after a really long run.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner after working out. If I'm lifting, I have a protein shake immediately after, and then eat dinner.
  • Rzimmermano
    Options

I have been told this is wrong and that you don't have to take anything after by a bunch of people.
    I will keep taking mine within the hour cause it makes more sense to me!

If it makes more sense to you doing it that way, then that's great! All I am pointing out is that it has made a huge impact on me and my overall goals, and it may help this women achieve hers as well. Sometimes trying something new is a good thing:)
  • ssicard38
    ssicard38 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just Protein ISO mixed with Water.

If my sugar level are low, I mix with juice and include a banana.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Protein shake with either milk or almond milk, berries and a banana. One scoop of protein powder after cardio or two scoops after a strength training routine.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of 0% fat plain greek yogurt + fruit after workouts lately.

FAGE! love greek yogurt....mix in chocolate protein powder...its like pudding
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake. Sometimes I put peanut butter or yogurt or fruit in it. I get done exercising around 5:30 AM and my stomach can't handle real food that early but I need a little something or I don't feel right. I take breakfast stuff to work and eat it in my office around 8:ish (scrambled eggs and or yogurt).
  • Lillemeddy
    Options
    I usually make myself a Coconutmilk, banana + chocolate whey smoothie for right after lifting. A couple of hours later I fill up with a proper dinner :) For cardio, I just have a protein shake.
  • MoNiCaMaRieV
    MoNiCaMaRieV Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i workout first thing in the mornings so i have my breakfast after..usually a banana, protein bar or shake...sometimes yogurt
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    No Milk to much sugar PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN ..... For Muscle recovery

why would sugar be bad after a workout?

I was wondering this also but didn't want to break out my worm can opener to get into it ;)