Should I take my scale on vacation?

Options
13»

Replies

• BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's obsessive. I think it is great that you want to keep up with your challenge and keep yourself on track. I do not do my "weigh ins" with any other scale but the one at my gym. I totally understand you wanting to weigh in with yours. If it fits, isn't too heavy....why not!
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Take it! I take mine when I go on vacation! It is something that helps me stay on track! Do not feel bad or strange taking it! Stay the course!
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    absolutely freaking not!
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! There were some compelling arguments on both sides (I do worry slightly about the health of my scale, it is slightly cracked already, but then it was only 12 euro), but in the end I think it's best for me if I take the scale with me! Much as some of you oppose the idea, I think it's best for me. I am still fairly close to the beginning of my weight loss/healthy lifestyle journey and I think I need my scale with me.
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like that you are trying to plan ahead for vacation. I know in the past, I have done really well then gone on vacation and completely fallen off the wagon never to get back on for quite some time. If it helps you stay focused or motivated, more power to you. You sound like you are determined so I'd say you're already ahead of the game. We all do what we have to do. Good luck to you, have a fantastic vacation.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    If I had a goal that was weight-sensitive and there was a good chance I could mess it all up, I'd take the scale. If it were simply vacation and my real life wasn't going to be affected except maybe having to put in some extra hard work when I got back, I'd leave it behind.
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This seems like a "duh, no" but HEAR ME OUT

I'm traveling by train and have room in my duffel bag. The main reason I want to bring it is because I'm in a 6 week challenge and next week is the last weigh-in. I'll have access to internet so I should be able to log into MFP regularly and I feel like it might help me to not go nuts on Christmas market fare? Maybe.

What would you do?

Depends on two things: how long you're on vacation and how often you log your weight. If you're gone a week, and only log your weight once a week I would think just keeping track of your calories/exercise via MFP would be sufficient to keep you on track. If you're gone a long time or have multiple weight ins then you may consider bringing it.

For me, I'd be worried about it getting damaged or "off" from the travel (scales are so finicky with me), so I wouldn't think it was worth bringing it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I try not to move my scale because moving some scales can cause them to lose their calibration.

If it was not for this worry, I'd totally take it with me on vacation
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I love to weigh in every day to get the consequences of what I do. If you can eat food that is easily loggable then you might do well without it. If you envision yourself having "little treats" here and there throughout the days, I can tell you if I were the one with little treats I would be headed for disaster! That is just how my body is! Take your scale if you are at all concerned. Christmas time with all the treats is a very slippery slope! You need to keep a tight rein on the "extras" especially if you are in some sort of challenge. Best of luck to you!
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i don't live by the scale so i don't think there is any way i would ever take it. Is it going to make a difference in what you eat and if you work out? If the answer is yes then i guess bring it, but if it's no, then just do a weigh in when you get back.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't take mine ... but I find one ! LOL ! Hotel's usually have one in the gym or go to Bed, Bath, Beyond and " borrow " theirs ! I know it sounds crazy ... but I worked to hard to blow it on one or two weeks ! It is soooo easy to gain the weight and sure it might be only a few pounds ... but it takes WEEKS .. if not months to lose it again ! You can still enjoy your vacation, but be smart by being in the know ! Every day doesn't have to be a splurge day ! Just my opinion ... don't beat me up people ! LOL ! :)

PS ... Have an awesome VACATION !