Working out with or without your significant other?

Options
13»

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'll play a game of badminton or disc golf with him, but there is no way I'd do a serious workout with my hubs. He and I have very different styles of working out. I like being active with him and playing games, and general fun summertime activities, but I don't lift weights with him, do Turbo Jam or yoga or any other such things.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Don't like going to the gym with hubs. Believe it or not, I go with my Dad.

My dad is pretty fit, but of all the men I know, I'd be most likely to work out with my brother, if he were ever into that. When we were kids, we'd play with my dad's weights, and I think my brother makes for some fun competition.

My husband on the other hand, has the physique of a linebacker, so I don't lift weights with him, for several reasons. I like to show off around the hubs, but that's not possible. I also tend to look at his muscles and sweat in a sexual way, but then I don't want to be looked at like that when I'm taking my workout seriously.

Obviously, with my bro, that would not be an issue.
  • lilly2709
    Options
    I go alone, most days its the only time I get to myself. :smile:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I go by myself. I'm too self conscious to go with him, he's been working out for a lot longer than me. I also like the alone time and focusing on myself and my workout without getting distracted.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    My husband is a skinny little guy who practicall lives off of Nutty Bars, energy drinks, and diet Dr. Pepper-but never gains a pound. I don't care to have him hovering around when I exercise. I do like to go for walks with my 14yr old son however...gives us time to talk. (but walks REALLY fast and can keep going FOREVER so he is hard to keep up with, not to mention his legs are twice as long as mine;)
  • _hesmy19dhero
    _hesmy19dhero Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually go with my boyfriend.
    Reasoning being is that we're both looking to lose weight. So he does some cardio, then goes and lifts weights (it's an apartment complex, so it's not a huge room.), & I still do cardio. We don't really talk much, but we might ask each other for help. Mostly we just watch TV or listen to our music. I might talk to him while I'm resting, but when I work out, I don't really talk to him that much.

But it's nice having that other person there not to talk to when you work out, but to get you motivated enough in the first place to go. I have a really big problem with motivation. So when I'm not motivated, he always seems to be. :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would love to workout with my husband. Unfortunately, he goes to the gym on his lunch time while working overnight at the Sheriff's Department and I'm not going to get up and drive 30 miles to the gym at 2am. LOL But when he has a day off and wants to workout at the time I do my routine, we'll workout together. Weights are a little harder to do together because of having to change the weights between sets because I lift heavier then he does, so when we do weights together we tend to stick with dumbbells. Don't get me wrong, he can lift heavier then I do, but because of his blood pressure issues, he's not allowed to because of the massive increase in blood pressure during super heavy lifts. So, with dumbbells we can do the exercises at the same time and I'll just stop at 5 or 8 reps where he has to go to at least 12 or 15 to feel it. We also do cardio together. It's fun to sit on the bike and chat while we get our workout together. I can then push him to do a little more then he normally would cardiovascularly by challenging him to races to a certain number of miles or whatever. It helps me regulate his workouts to be of the most benefit to him for his blood pressure, too. :wink:
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Definitely with my hubby!

We play capoeira together; well with a group class, 2 times a week (sometimes 3) and it is great because we then get to share thoughts and practice what we've learned for an extra work-out session one on one during the week. We both LOVE the sport so it's like sharing your passion with someone you're passionate about ;-)
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Alone! Its my therapy Plus Half the time Im beating the bag thinking of him LOL
  • sweetptgrl
    sweetptgrl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with my boyfriend. It helps to keep us both motivated and I can help spot him if needed. He does heavier weights so needs a spot while I don't do as much with bench press or military press to need him to spot me. It is also nice because we can talk about different exercises to try or I can correct his form for him. I am a physical therapist and so I notice body mechanics and most people don't lift with very good body mechanics so I am always helping him out.

13304472.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are at different levels. When I work out with her it tends to hold me back. Weights aren't too bad but when we bike ride together I have to constantly circle back to her. Gives me a little extra riding distance but is irritating, especially if we get separated by a light or traffic.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Usually I prefer to work out alone but soon we will be going to the gym together to hit the weights as well... when it comes to weights I def would prefer to work out with him.