10 Commandments of Weight Loss

Options
1. Thou Shalt Not Wear Pants that Stretch

Your clothing is an early-warning system for weight gain. When it's getting hard to snap your jeans, you know it's time to be vigilant. Wearing stretchy clothes allows you to live in ignorance of how your body is growing, making it easier to pack on pounds without knowing it.

2. Thou Shalt Not Keep Fat Clothes in Your Closet

When you keep the clothes you wore at an unhealthy weight, it gives you a back-up plan if the pounds don't come off. Instead, force yourself to stay on track by 86ing your "fat pants."

3. Thou Shalt Not Eat Meat That Walks on Four Legs More Than Once a Week

Meat that comes from an animal with 4 legs is higher in saturated fat (the unhealthy kind) than that which comes from 2-legged animals such as chickens, or animals with no legs, like fish. Plus: women who eat large amounts of red meat more than once a week have a 50% higher chance of dying from heart disease and have higher cancer rates.

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

Plan your meal before you open the refrigerator, get what you need, and close the door. Opening it throughout the day leads to impulsive choices and overeating.

5. Thou Shalt Not Eat After 7:30pm

When you eat late at night you are more likely to be eating in front of the TV (when you won't pay attention to how much you're putting in your mouth) and you're more likely to pick high-calorie snacks

6. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge

Larger portions equal more calories. 'Nuff said.

7. Thou Shalt Not Chew Food Less than 20 Times Per Bite

Chewing allows your body to realize that you are eating food, prompting it to create a sensation of fullness at the appropriate time. When you don't chew enough, you get ahead of that process, eating well past when you are actually satisfied.

8. Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Plate

Spend your day nibbling bites on someone else's sandwich or afternoon snack, and you will add on 1,000 calories easy.

9. Thou Shalt Not Carry Small Bills

Nothing loves a small bill better than a vending machine. When you have them at the ready, you are one step closer to an impulsive, calorie-loaded afternoon slip up.

10. Thou Shalt Not Eat While Standing Up

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you're eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it's too late.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: none of these are necessary conditions for successful weight loss.
  • angeleyez77
    angeleyez77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No true but some you could go by like the not eating after 730 or 8 have a cut off date. And hes right with grabbing what you want to eat and shut the fridge door :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If I chew my food 20 times, I turn my food to nasty mush. I don't like that. I'm a gulper. My stomach has a job to do, and I run a tight ship.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You're better off doubling up your ten commandments and reading this:
    http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/20-diet-myths-busted/
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You don't need a time period cut off to lose weight though. If you are counting calories meal timing is irrelevant.
    And eat red meat only once a week? I understand for the veg/vegan etc, but health wise not true
    Many of these are pretty crazy really xD

I do agree with the fridge one xD I have to plan my meals or my day is kind of crazy food wise
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I do agree in spirit with many of these. But the 7:30 cutoff time is silly. I normally eat around 600-1200 calories after 7:30pm every day. Often I eat minutes from bedtime. I have a real pet peeve about this rumor getting propagated.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I agree and thank you.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    There has been ample research done to show that the human body processes much of the calories consumed at night while you sleep, If you eat just before you sleep, some of the time normally spent during sleep on burning calories is spent on digesting instead. And ample studies have been done showing eating just before bed can disturb sleep making it hard to wake up energized and ready to exercise. Some people can eat within four hours of sleep with no ill effect, just like some people can smoke until the age of 99, but for many it has negative side effects. The rule about not eating four hours before going to sleep is not a hard and fast rule of diet like, you have to eat less than you burn, but it does make it easier for most people to loose weight.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    No true but some you could go by like the not eating after 730 or 8 have a cut off date. And hes right with grabbing what you want to eat and shut the fridge door :)

What if I'm driving my car after 7:30pm or 8pm and it runs out of gas? Can't I refuel it? I've got to get to Healthyville by 9pm sooo how do I do that on an empty tank without fueling it????
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There has been ample research done to show that the human body processes much of the calories consumed at night while you sleep, If you eat just before you sleep, some of the time normally spent during sleep on burning calories is spent on digesting instead. And ample studies have been done showing eating just before bed can disturb sleep making it hard to wake up energized and ready to exercise. Some people can eat within four hours of sleep with no ill effect, just like some people can smoke until the age of 99, but for many it has negative side effects. The rule about not eating four hours before going to sleep is not a hard and fast rule of diet like, you have to eat less than you burn, but it does make it easier for most people to loose weight.

But I want my weight loss to be tight.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Your clothing is an early-warning system for weight gain. When it's getting hard to snap your jeans, you know it's time to be vigilant. Wearing stretchy clothes allows you to live in ignorance of how your body is growing, making it easier to pack on pounds without knowing it.

When you keep the clothes you wore at an unhealthy weight, it gives you a back-up plan if the pounds don't come off. Instead, force yourself to stay on track by 86ing your "fat pants."

Meat that comes from an animal with 4 legs is higher in saturated fat (the unhealthy kind) than that which comes from 2-legged animals such as chickens, or animals with no legs, like fish. Plus: women who eat large amounts of red meat more than once a week have a 50% higher chance of dying from heart disease and have higher cancer rates.

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

Plan your meal before you open the refrigerator, get what you need, and close the door. Opening it throughout the day leads to impulsive choices and overeating.

When you eat late at night you are more likely to be eating in front of the TV (when you won't pay attention to how much you're putting in your mouth) and you're more likely to pick high-calorie snacks

6. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge

Chewing allows your body to realize that you are eating food, prompting it to create a sensation of fullness at the appropriate time. When you don't chew enough, you get ahead of that process, eating well past when you are actually satisfied.

Spend your day nibbling bites on someone else's sandwich or afternoon snack, and you will add on 1,000 calories easy.

Nothing loves a small bill better than a vending machine. When you have them at the ready, you are one step closer to an impulsive, calorie-loaded afternoon slip up.

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you're eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it's too late.

I LOVE THESE - Thanks!

Since I've broken all of the OTHER ten commandments.....lol
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    WIth all due respect, it makes me giggle because I do almost all of these things and successfully lose weight. It's not that I don't think some of them may be helpful - just not necessary. However in order to give CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, I will offer up what I do instead as an alternative :)

I live in leggings. BUT I do take a monthly photo in shorts and a sports bra. I have one dress that is my smallest, and I occasionally try it on to make sure it zips up the back (this is how I know when I've returned to my smallest size I've been in my adult life). And I give myself a good long hard look in the mirror naked after I shower.

I am blessed with the ability to lose weight quite quickly. But it's a double-edged sword. I gain it super quickly as well. And by 'weight' I mean my size. If I have 2 weeks - I kid you not 2 weeks! - of bad eating and no gym... my current clothes will not fit. Yes, perhaps I could see number one to prevent this, but last time it this happened it's because I was on vacation, then was sick, and then was out of town for my grad program. I needed my one size larger pants. I ALSO keep the largest shorts I've ever owned because it's fun to step into them and watch them fall off my body hehe

My fat intake would terrify most people. Bring it on!! I ain't scared :) I have nothing constructive to say here haha

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze
    It depends on how you define graze. I don't graze aimlessly in the refrigerator, but I do eat about 6-8 times a day. This is great for me. Basically, I take my three meals and just don't eat every part of it in one sitting. This means I'm never really, really hungry. This also means I have something that is okay for me to eat pretty much whenever I want.

Daily. I work full time and am in grad school. This is when dinner happens. Nothing constructive - sorry :)

I actually think this can be very helpful for some people, but I often use my small plate - whatever is on the meal plan is going on the plate. And a lot of my dinners are very low cal so I eat A LOT of it (grilled chicken sauteed with red, yellow, orange and green peppers and onions in balsamic vinegar - I eat half a pound of chicken and TONS of the veggies with it - sometimes I even throw in acorn squash - fill up that plate, baby!)

I inhale food. I have my whole life. However, since I eat 8 times a day, I don't have to worry so much about allowing adequate time for my body to get full.

I don't do this exactly - but anytime I go out to eat, I ALWAYS split 1 entree with my boyfriend... and we often still have leftovers.

Again, I think this may be useful for some. I am literally in a world where vending machines and drive-thrus do not exist, so I don't count lol

I do this a lot. I'm a nanny. For a toddler. It's life :/ But I do see the point about sitting down and enjoying your meal!

Again, thanks for sharing! I mean no harm :) I think there are some useful habits people can take from this - but I'm just not sure it's a stead fast and sure method :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of nonsense.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And eat red meat only once a week? I understand for the veg/vegan etc, but health wise not true

I have not seen anything on once a week, but there is clinical evidence that replacing as little as 2 meals a week with vegetarian meals can have a positive affect on overall health.
  • roseanzures
    Options
    I love this!!!!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I follow #1 and #2. I break #3-10 almost daily and I lose just fine.

Since we're all individuals, I think we would each have our own 10 commandments. Here's mine.

1. Same as OP.

2. Same as OP.

3. 5-6 meals/day

4. When you exercise, exercise hard. Lift heavy things. HIIT or Tabata and/or Tempo. If you do steady-state cardio, do it because it's fun and not as your main exercise for toning/weight loss. (Caveat: someone who is very overweight and hasn't exercised in a very long time will do just fine starting out with steady-state cardio until they get in good enough shape to mix in the heavy and hard stuff.)

5. Ditch the scale or just weigh about once a month. Instead, always have a pair of jeans you can't fit into yet and try 'em on once every week or two to see how much closer you are to having them fit. As soon as you can wear them, see #2.

6. Eat lots of protein, even the 4-legged kind.

7. Eat lots of veggies.

8. Drink lots of fluids (water, coffee, tea, Diet Coke, whatever floats your boat and keeps your urine clear).

9. Zig-zag your calories.

10. If you want a splurge, go for it and enjoy every bite. No guilt. Just don't do it all the time.

I bet someone will come along and have 10 things totally different than mine. As I said, we're all individuals and we will have our own path. Looking forward to reading other 10 Commandments.
  • dpk1955
    dpk1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

• seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Anybody else hearing "two legs good, four legs bad" in their head?
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: none of these are necessary conditions for successful weight loss.

Agreed, though some may benefit from them.
  • dpk1955
    dpk1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My work out clothes are stretchy, I often eat after 7:30PM because of my work schedule (work 12 hour shifts 7A-7P) so it is 8 before I get home, I have gotten rid of my fat clothes, I eat red meat more than once a week but try to choose the leanest , I have small dinner plates that I use (I measure out my food but when put on a smaller plate it tricks the mind into thinking your eating way more, the items in our vending machines are so unhealthy not to mention too expensive for what you get (not worth it to me). So I guess I have broken most of the commandments! I did enjoy reading them and can see how they may work for some but not by all. Good post overall! Thank you for sharing!