10 Commandments of Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: none of these are necessary conditions for successful weight loss.
    Agreed, though some may benefit from them.
    Some, yes. But calling them the 10 Commandments indicates that everyone should follow them strictly.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Who are you to say what is and is not right to weight loss? 99% of are a bunch of crap. It may work for you, but not for others.

She replied in the thread and said that these are HER rules for herself.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Anybody else hearing "two legs good, four legs bad" in their head?

This is funny.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Who are you to say what is and is not right to weight loss? 99% of are a bunch of crap. It may work for you, but not for others.

She replied in the thread and said that these are HER rules for herself.
    What? No she didn't.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is taking a lot of unnecessary heat in this thread. While none of the items posted are required in order to lose weight, I think there are a lot of good ideas in there. Also, some of the responses reflect an inability to read what OP actually wrote. For example, she didn't say that you wouldn't lose weight if you ate after 7:30. Instead, she explained why eating after 7:30 might not be in your best interests....because for a lot of people (although not the super disciplined MFP folk who kindly responded to this thread), they tend to be a little more lax while eating later at night while watching TV. I also think that while its not necessary to get fit of clothes that are now too big on you, I think its a good idea. Keeping them around can be a crutch/excuse for not staying strict.

The one thing I disagree with on the list is the 4 legged animal comment. Obviously, if it works within your calories, eat the red meat whenever you like.

Anyway, I offer a chill pill to those of you who overreact to input from others when said input isn't exactly what needs to be done...even though it may be helpful to some. Really, some of you probably should get your own website so that you can repeat the same message over and over and over and over...and then outlaw folks who would say anything different. <rolls eyes and walks away>
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    10. Thou Shalt Not Eat While Standing Up

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you're eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it's too late.

I'm the exact opposite with this one. When I go on a fatty binge I'm usually sitting or laying down and when I stand up, I have an "oh *kitten*, what have I done" feeling in my belly
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Definately do not agree with #3 or #7. Work until 6:30pm at night and try to rush home and cook a meal and eat it by 7:30 :noway:
    The others I can see how they make sense:bigsmile:
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is taking a lot of unnecessary heat in this thread. While none of the items posted are required in order to lose weight, I think there are a lot of good ideas in there. Also, some of the responses reflect an inability to read what OP actually wrote. For example, she didn't say that you wouldn't lose weight if you ate after 7:30. Instead, she explained why eating after 7:30 might not be in your best interests....because for a lot of people (although not the super disciplined MFP folk who kindly responded to this thread), they tend to be a little more lax while eating later at night while watching TV. I also think that while its not necessary to get fit of clothes that are now too big on you, I think its a good idea. Keeping them around can be a crutch/excuse for not staying strict.

The one thing I disagree with on the list is the 4 legged animal comment. Obviously, if it works within your calories, eat the red meat whenever you like.

Anyway, I offer a chill pill to those of you who overreact to input from others when said input isn't exactly what needs to be done...even though it may be helpful to some. Really, some of you probably should get your own website so that you can repeat the same message over and over and over and over...and then outlaw folks who would say anything different. <rolls eyes and walks away>

Thank you! Someone that actually read the OP!
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do agree in spirit with many of these. But the 7:30 cutoff time is silly. I normally eat around 600-1200 calories after 7:30pm every day. Often I eat minutes from bedtime. I have a real pet peeve about this rumor getting propagated.

A doctor ( who did uncharacteristically have some training in nutrition) suggested that I try eating at least a small snack BEFORE I sleep - like a piece of cheese or small amt of meat with a small amt of carb. It has never caused a problem. I still wake up the next day weighing the same or less than the day before. I think it's the binging aspect of eating at night that is destructive - not the consumption of something sensible for a late meal or a small snack - we do burn calories in our sleep.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If I chew my food 20 times, I turn my food to nasty mush. I don't like that. I'm a gulper. My stomach has a job to do, and I run a tight ship.

LMFAO this is sooo me
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: none of these are necessary conditions for successful weight loss.
    Some, yes. But calling them the 10 Commandments indicates that everyone should follow them strictly.

Okay, fine - perhaps she meant to say MY 10 Commandments and it works for her. I disagree with most of them, but I defend her right to share without being slapped around by the self righteous.....
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a lot fo this doesnt work this does work etc.... Some of these DO work for me, and some dont... the magic of weight loss is finding out what your body likes and doesnt like. You must experiment... I have been on a goal of being 155 for over a year... with some things failing some working. You need to learn how your body operates and you will be golden.

My 10 commandments are:

No fast Food
    Drink water before every meal
    Dont eat till i feel like im gonna puke
    Dont touch the vending machine.
    Swap out unhealthy foods with like healthy snakcs
    Elliptical eliptical elliptical
    Water water water
    B12
    Vitamins
    Protein shakes
  • cindyw1eye
    cindyw1eye Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If I chew my food 20 times, I turn my food to nasty mush. I don't like that. I'm a gulper. My stomach has a job to do, and I run a tight ship.

This made me lol :tongue:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a lot fo this doesnt work this does work etc.... Some of these DO work for me, and some dont... the magic of weight loss is finding out what your body likes and doesnt like. You must experiment... I have been on a goal of being 155 for over a year... with some things failing some working. You need to learn how your body operates and you will be golden.

My 10 commandments are:

No fast Food
    Drink water before every meal
    Dont eat till i feel like im gonna puke
    Dont touch the vending machine.
    Swap out unhealthy foods with like healthy snakcs
    Elliptical eliptical elliptical
    Water water water
    B12
    Vitamins
    Protein shakes

Oh this is nice. I'll share MY 10 too:

-MUCHO water (like 100 ounces a day or more)
    -Severly limit fried foods
    -Exercising at least four times a week (I do both cardio and resistance)
    -Do not obsess over every single calorie or workout
    -Wear cute workout gear. It gives me confidence, which makes me work harder
    -Vitamins!
    -Do not get to the point where you are STARVING.
    -While doing all this, make sure to always have time for your loved ones

OK....I didn't make it to 10. Oops! =)
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    this is cute :drinker:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Wow, all 89 lbs. I've lost completely disagree with just about ever single one of those. I often don't work out until 9pm at night... I eat before that (from 7:30 until 8 so there's time to digest and I won't barf on the floor) and then I have a recovery drink & snack.

Good Lawd!
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So true!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

Okay, fine - perhaps she meant to say MY 10 Commandments and it works for her. I disagree with most of them, but I defend her right to share without being slapped around by the self righteous.....
    Who's slapping her around? She put it up for discussion. Some people agree and others disagree. Don't get so offended on other people's behalf.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Here's what I learned:

I don't like the words: Ample rules and negative side effects.

Pegasus and Puppy Parade!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    try 2 commandments:

1. eat less
    2. move more