What's the difference between Diet Coke, and Coca Cola Zero?

Options
" Coca-Cola Zero provides real Coca-Cola taste for variety-seeking consumers. Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a blend of low-calorie sweeteners, while Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. "

I've heard Aspartame is bad. If you look on the can, both of these have aspartame listed on the ingredients. So are they both equally harmful?

It sounds like Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a few sweeteners, and Diet Coke has only aspartame in it?

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero (looking at my husbands morning fix) has both aspartame and Splenda; the latter is supposedly healthier. Aspartame gives some people headaches, and in large amounts may be harmful as part of it does break down to methyl alcohol as your body digests it. And by large amounts, I mean beverage and foods containing aspartame at every meal, every day.

Personally, I just don't use artificial sweeteners, either non-caloric or HFCS. I have had one diet soda in four years, but otherwise usually stick to water (often carbonated) and black coffee.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks can actually be worse for you than the full fat ones. Theres been links with artifical sweetners and cancer. I dont touch the stuff
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is NOT bad for you, according to thousands of actual scientific studies.
  • BubblegumBear
    Options
    Coke zero tastes better -.,- that's the difference... kekeke
    But really, EVERYTHING is BAD for you nowadays... just depends which articles you want to believe! ^^
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero tastes better, and hasn't slowed down my weight loss efforts at all.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If we avoided everything that has been linked to any kind of disease we wouldn't eat or drink anything!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally just work in regular Coke into my diet so I don't have to quibble over which artificial sweetener is worse for me. It tastes better, too.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If we avoided everything that has been linked to any kind of disease we wouldn't eat or drink anything!

Very true! I've seen people on my FB page whine about the dangers of tap water and the dangers of bottled water! So now all of our sources of water cause disease and cancer. But........Mello Yello tastes better, so.... :drinker:
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    About the taste....I find coke zero tastes more like regular coke. I hardly ever drink diet soda myself. Even though my guy drank regular coke for years and now has been drinking diet coke for years, he prefers diet coke over coke zero.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero tastes better and has less caffeine (35mg vs 45mg).
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to hop on for a second with a few thoughts.

1. There is a huge difference between cancer causing agents and cancer promoting agents

2. There are very few things that have been isolated and scientifically proven to cause cancer

3. There are many more things that have been found to promote cancer (eg. casein found in dairy)

This is not to suggest that dairy causes cancer, however casein has been found to promote the growth of certain cancers.

As far as the difference between the cokes, I think the answer is MARKETING.

Please assault me with science, bro-science, and last but not least links to websites!

6921816.png

PS: Read The China Study by Dr Colin T Campbell
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There is no difference. I rarely drink soda, but when I do, I do it with full sugar and alcohol.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    they're all carcinogenic in small doses and often bad for insulin levels and dieting in general.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    Diet drinks can actually be worse for you than the full fat ones. Theres been links with artifical sweetners and cancer. I dont touch the stuff

Oh my god. Really?!?! I drink loads...Cutting back though. I never knew it was bad!
  • Lazlocats
    Lazlocats Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    They are both chemicals...and not good for you ...you would do better having water. All sodas are acidic...and bad for you.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is supposed to taste like Pepsi
    Coke Zero is supposed to taste like Coca Cola

or at least that's what the rumor mill says.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I dont drink the diet stuff because to me it tastes nasty. However, I think there might be a slight risk with it causing cancer, but if it were as harmful as some people believe, then we would be seeing people drop like flies after spraying fly killer.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Coke zero tastes better and has less calories
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Really? Full fat soda? Soda is made with sugar, not fat.

In addition, there have been multiple conflicting studies over the health effects of artificial sweeteners.
    Aspartame, discovered in 1965 is a low-calorie sweetener with a sugar-like taste but is approximately 200 times sweeter than sucrose.[16] It is unique among low-calorie sweeteners in that it is completely broken down by the body to its components - the amino acids, aspartic acid, phenylalanine and a small amount of ethanol.[17–19] These components are found in much greater amounts in common foods, such as meat, milk, fruits, and vegetables, and are used in the body in the same way whether they come from aspartame or common foods.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/?tool=pubmed
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    They are both chemicals...and not good for you ...you would do better having water. All sodas are acidic...and bad for you.

The acid in your stomach is hydrochloric acid (one of the most corrosive acids known). The acid in your stomach has a ph rating of between 1 and 2 (in other words: it'll burn through almost everything known). It's more corrosive than battery acid. Sodas will not harm a fly because they are acidic.

Even tap water is corrosive. Tap water does not have a ph of 7 (neutral). It is always slightly above or slightly below 7. Cow's milk has a ph rating between 6.4 and 6.8, therefore milk is also acidic.