I gained a pound!

Options
I don't get it. I started a diet and exercise program 7 days ago. I've eaten less than 1200 calories per day and have worked out everyday for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half! And I mix it up by doing a different cardio workout every other day and I do strength training every other day after my cardio. I can usually lose weight easily when I diet and exercise like this. I just don't get it!

Replies

• katiezi
    katiezi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You might have gained some muscle mass since you've been working out everyday. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • roseganira
    Options
    Oh, and another thing I don't get is that the week before i started dieting and exercising again I lost 4lbs! And i was eating fast food and desert every night. I haven't eaten any fast food and i've only had chocolate once this week
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've eaten less than 1200 calories per day and have worked out everyday for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half!

This could be your problem. Eat more. It might sound odd, but try it.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You might be eating too few calories if you are netting less than 1200. Also sometimes when you start working out your muscles hold onto fluids to repair themselves and that looks like weight gain. I would eat a little more to ward off starvation mode and to make sure you are fueling your body appropriately!!
  • mestrydom
    Options
    Hi roseganira

Weight will always fluctuate. Sometimes it's simply the body holding back water or 'that time of the month'! Don't worry about it... Monitor your average weight-loss over a 4-6 week period and don't get caught up in the 'ups-and'downs' of weighing every day/week.

Sometimes just having a little 'cheat-snack' over a weekend will get you going again. Hang in there! ;-)
  • roseganira
    Options
    I can tell a difference in my abdomen as far as muscle is concerned, and I know muscle weighs more than fat but I do so much cardio, ya know? And according to this site I'm supposed to eat 1200 calories a day
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    This could be your problem. Eat more. It might sound odd, but try it.
    [/quote]

This!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You did not gain muscle. You dont' gain muscle on a caloric deficit.

Eat more. You're not eating enough so your body is hoarding what little food you're giving it. A fire will burn out if you don't give it enough fuel.
  • roseganira
    Options
    It's just so frustrating. Usually I give up on dieting when something like this happens, but i'm not going to give up this time. I think the weight gain may be from another more personal issue. Since I started my new diet i haven't had a bm.. Too much info right? lol...but maybe that's why
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    "I've eaten less than 1200 calories per day"

There is where your problem lies.

You need to eat more.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You might have gained some muscle mass since you've been working out everyday. Muscle weighs more than fat.

This did not happen.
  • roseganira
    Options
    ok ajbeans, thanks, i'll try it
  • roseganira
    Options
    I had an eating disorder years back and I ate less than 600 cals per day and worked out excessively and I lost 115lbs in 8 months. But i started gaining it back pretty quickly so I won't do that again
  • roseganira
    Options
    So thanks girls, i'll try eating a little more and when i weigh in next week hopefully it makes a difference.
  • roseganira
    Options
    On the plus side, my jeans fit better from all the ab work i've been doing
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    You lost four pounds and then the next week you gained 1. So 3 pounds lost in two weeks, averages to 1.5 lb loss per week. Pretty good. So much fluctuations with water.
    Just make sure you eat a bit more when you are exercising.
  • roseganira
    Options
    thanks eeekie, i'll read those
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    So thanks girls, i'll try eating a little more and when i weigh in next week hopefully it makes a difference.

Give it longer than a week.
  • megababe4
    Options
    You have to remmeber that if you are just starting to do weight work, your body will gain mussle mass before you will see any difference on the scale. I am a slave to the scale and had to learn not to be. I worked out for a month, 4-5 times a week and only lost one pound. I started to measure myself though and I was getting smaller, just not weighing less. Mussle weighs more thatn fat. So just give it time and don't get discouraged by the scale. SHE can be ruthless at times. Keep it up your doing great!