What do you think this picture is? Sorta shocking if true.

Options
1235»

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I see a plane flying OVER a generic city. Such scenes happen every day all around the world.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It's going to be hard not to offend someone at some point with marketing.
    I guess that's what it comes down to, I guess I don't think that's true. There are how many millions of products offered and marketed every single day, all over the world? A scant few get serious press time for controversy. Most don't. Coke's biggest issue this year seems to have been that the Classic Coke cans looked too much like the Diet Coke cans and bothered people. LOL They manage to have out roughly as many products as Pepsi, none of them are "plain white with simple black lettering", so I guess I don't buy another poster's suggestion that the ONLY options for marketers is that, or this Pepsi can. Millions of products manage to not offend anyone, actually.

Granted, I'm not offended by this, I just think it was short-sighted of Pepsi to not realize that a number of their fan-base would be, AND, as much as we might say that Pepsi can't worry how every country on Earth is going to respond to any given marketing scheme, let's be serious here, I'm betting the US makes up a large, large portion of their customers, and that in this so interconnected world, it'd end up on a viral internet thing.

That's all. :)

Trust me outside the US there is a massive market in Asia, Europe and other areas that pepsi sells to. Yes the US is a large consumer of products but it's only one country
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I guess that's what it comes down to, I guess I don't think that's true. There are how many millions of products offered and marketed every single day, all over the world? A scant few get serious press time for controversy. Most don't. Coke's biggest issue this year seems to have been that the Classic Coke cans looked too much like the Diet Coke cans and bothered people. LOL They manage to have out roughly as many products as Pepsi, none of them are "plain white with simple black lettering", so I guess I don't buy another poster's suggestion that the ONLY options for marketers is that, or this Pepsi can. Millions of products manage to not offend anyone, actually.

Granted, I'm not offended by this, I just think it was short-sighted of Pepsi to not realize that a number of their fan-base would be, AND, as much as we might say that Pepsi can't worry how every country on Earth is going to respond to any given marketing scheme, let's be serious here, I'm betting the US makes up a large, large portion of their customers, and that in this so interconnected world, it'd end up on a viral internet thing.

Trust me outside the US there is a massive market in Asia, Europe and other areas that pepsi sells to. Yes the US is a large consumer of products but it's only one country
    Right, I didn't say the US was the only place it was sold. As you agree, the US is a large portion of it's customer base. "Only one country," but it's generally pretty accepted that it's in a company's best interest to think about those kinds of things regarding "large portions" of their customer base, no? I guess I just don't see what's so shocking here.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Right, I didn't say the US was the only place it was sold. As you agree, the US is a large portion of it's customer base. "Only one country," but it's generally pretty accepted that it's in a company's best interest to think about those kinds of things regarding "large portions" of their customer base, no? I guess I just don't see what's so shocking here.

PepsiCo Americas Beverages
    This division contributed 23 percent of PepsiCo’s net revenue as of 2009,[28] and involves the manufacture (and in some cases licensing), marketing and sales of both carbonated and non-carbonated beverages in North, Central and South America.[40] The main brands distributed under this division include Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, 7 Up (outside the U.S.), Tropicana Pure Premium orange juice, Sierra Mist, SoBe Lifewater, Tropicana juice drinks, AMP Energy, Naked Juice and Izze. Aquafina, the company’s bottled water brand, is also marketed and licensed through PepsiCo Americas Beverages.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PepsiCo#Areas_of_business

All things taken into consideration, the USA is really only a small portion of Pepsi's business.
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options

This division contributed 23 percent of PepsiCo’s net revenue as of 2009,[28] and involves the manufacture (and in some cases licensing), marketing and sales of both carbonated and non-carbonated beverages in North, Central and South America.[40] The main brands distributed under this division include Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, 7 Up (outside the U.S.), Tropicana Pure Premium orange juice, Sierra Mist, SoBe Lifewater, Tropicana juice drinks, AMP Energy, Naked Juice and Izze. Aquafina, the company’s bottled water brand, is also marketed and licensed through PepsiCo Americas Beverages.[1]

All things taken into consideration, the USA is really only a small portion of Pepsi's business.
    That's interesting! I admit that I would have guessed the US consumption higher-- to the degree of 45-55%, rather than 23%. After all, half the articles I read lately are about how all we Americans eat/drink is junk food, and the rest of the world is aghast at us... LOL Perhaps that is misrepresented to paint us in an uglier light sometimes, huh?

Anyway, I guess as a business person, I would consider 23% of my consumers to be a pretty big portion of them, but I guess your milage may vary.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would say that Pepsi has very very educated people on what to put on theirs cans and what NOT to put them for each martketing region. Obviously this wouldn't be on a can for the USA for OBVIOUS reasons. Everyone knows in the entire world what happened here and to me, it seems pretty close resemblence to 911. When I see people saying doubt be so senstive, I can understand this to a point because their are some serious ridiculous things that people get offended about but everyone has sensitive areas in their lives because of personal experiences they've gone thru so THAT in itself is what this is all about. Pepsi is smart enough not to put it on cans' here in the USA OBVIOUSLY because of one of the greatest terrorist attacks against this country, so my question is WHY DO IT AT ALL?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

That's interesting! I admit that I would have guessed the US consumption higher-- to the degree of 45-55%, rather than 23%. After all, half the articles I read lately are about how all we Americans eat/drink is junk food, and the rest of the world is aghast at us... LOL Perhaps that is misrepresented to paint us in an uglier light sometimes, huh?

Anyway, I guess as a business person, I would consider 23% of my consumers to be a pretty big portion of them, but I guess your milage may vary.
    That 23% is North, South and Central America. It takes in everywhere from Argentina to Alaska and Canada so the USA would only be a portion of that 23%.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

I see no resemblance to 9/11. I just see some silly graphics. People will see anything they are pre-disposed to see. That doesn't seem offensive at all to me.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Is this where as a business person I tease you that it's 23% of north, central and south america not just the US :)
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options
    Is this where as a business person I tease you that it's 23% of north, central and south america not just the US :)
    I suppose. I'm not a business person these days, I'm "only" a mom. I bet that's clear from my posts sometimes. LOL

Well, the question is, is that portion of customers enough to warrant any basic thought given to how that population will take the product (keeping in mind that it's a product marketed elsewhere BUT you can't deny the US presense in that portion of the world, nor how interrelated we all are, and the fact that everyone sees everything on FB eventually)?

Maybe it's not. Maybe Pepsi agrees that the US market is "ONLY" < 23% & as such isn't valuable enough to think of things from those consumers' POVs. An earlier poster said that Pepsi in Iraq had virtually nothing to do with Pepsi somewhere else, so how they market wouldn't even be seen by the same Pepsi personel... Personally, I'm pretty shocked at the idea that a corporation of that size wouldn't have ANY sort of oversight to speak of, but maybe I'm wrong. I would think they'd have higher-ups who would look over things of that nature, and they'd be well-versed in the different cultures their product is sold in. But what do I know! :)

(eta: And again, I don't think the image is at all intentionally offensive.)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I think to say it looks like the Twin Towers is reaching. When first shown this image on FB, I didn't make the connection. Surprisingly, NYC isn't the only city with tall buildings over which an airplane may fly.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

I have a special edition Mountain Dew bottle with an octopus on it. I'm sure the use of tentacles means that Pepsico supports Cthulhu.

Ok, I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I didn't want it to forever appear in "My Topics," but...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Everybody Loves Cthulhu.

They'd better ... >:E
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I would say that Pepsi has very very educated people on what to put on theirs cans and what NOT to put them for each martketing region. Obviously this wouldn't be on a can for the USA for OBVIOUS reasons. Everyone knows in the entire world what happened here and to me, it seems pretty close resemblence to 911. When I see people saying doubt be so senstive, I can understand this to a point because their are some serious ridiculous things that people get offended about but everyone has sensitive areas in their lives because of personal experiences they've gone thru so THAT in itself is what this is all about. Pepsi is smart enough not to put it on cans' here in the USA OBVIOUSLY because of one of the greatest terrorist attacks against this country, so my question is WHY DO IT AT ALL?

Because the image is meant to look like Dubai NOT New York. Why doesn't anyone understand how business works? Sure this is a Pepsi product, but technically, it is made by a company that Pepsi owns and is NOT Pepsi itself. This company is NOT marketing to Americans nor do they even consider that their might be a resemblance between this image and the 9/11 attacks, and therefore, would NOT be expecting to offend anyone. I'm not saying that 9/11 attacks shouldn't be treated sensitively, but you are talking about a marketing campaign in an entirely different part of the world. And it is absolutely ridiculous to get upset about something that is OBVIOUSLY not intentional.

Subsidiaries are like franchises. Pepsi Arabia pays Pepsi a fee to use its brand and shares in its profits. In return, Pepsi shares resources. The subsidiary's operations are almost completely independent of the company.

Besides, Pepsi has many many many subsidiaries as they also manufacture snack products like Lay's potato chips. There is no way that a company that large with that many operations around the world could possibly oversea the marketing campaigns of every product in every country.