Replies

• spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't log this in.
    It's NOT exercise.

What a classically male attitude!

Not all males *ahem*cough*thisguy*cough*

Not all males, but it is a classically male attitude.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm a cubicle dweller for 8+ hours a day, so I have my activity level set as sedentary. If I do more than just everyday routine cooking, cleaning I will log that, but just the normal day to day straightening up or making myself dinner, I wont.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Don't log this in.
    It's NOT exercise.

So you'll attack my post for being judgmental, but you're more than happy to support ridiculous gender stereotypes? Wow...
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i consider that part of my everyday lightly active activity
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't always log cleaning. I did over the weekend as I was doing a major cleaning, and was up and down alot, scrubbing, moving things. If it is minor cleaning I don't log and I did not log the entire time I was cleaning. As far as shopping, I log especially if I am doing alot of walking.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I personally find these kinds of threads insulting and demoralizing. I don't understand WHY anyone else cares what someone logs as exercise.

^^^^ This.

Also, my activities vary so much day to day, that I find it's most accurate to set my activity level to "sedentary" and log anything active I end up doing.
  • BrowneJen
    BrowneJen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's why you have lost 27 pounds since July!! Good goin'!!
  • spookiewon
    Options
    I used to log cleaning and house chores, but I would only count things like yard work or vigorous cleaning i.e. scrubbing, vacuuming, etc. I would also underestimate my calories burned. Now, I don't log any of those calorie expenditures at all. I count those as part of my daily activity. I only log workouts.

Logging shopping as a workout... is pretty ridiculous. It's not a deliberate and heart rate raising workout, in my opinion (unless you're battling other Black Friday shoppers, or something, then maybe...). I push myself HARD physically and mentally when I workout. The only "pushing" I do when shopping or cleaning doesn't even come CLOSE to my gym workouts, therefore, I don't count it.

I sure do wish enduring the pain of waking to shop and clean wasn't something that want' "pushing." I push myself, too, but it's to even move; because even moving causes me excruciating pain. Acting like you're somehow special because you "push yourself hard" ...is pretty ridiculous.

Your comment on my post is pretty uncalled for and wrongly presumes that I don't understand that other people do have to work harder at more routine activities. I explained my personal reasons for not logging certain cleaning and daily chore activities. I'm not claiming that I'm special. I simply set the bar higher for myself. What you want to do is your own business. I'm certainly not trying to compare the value of my workouts to someone else's. I never judged, just stated my opinion in response to the OP's question. What's so wrong with that?

That's exactly the point. Your bar is no higher than mine. You suggest my opinion that cleaning and shopping are exercise is ridiculous, and I assure you that your belief that it is not is just as ridiculous. You're offended by the exact same wording you used to describe other people's opinions. You were supposed to be offended. It was offensive when you said it, and that's what's wrong with that.

Calling something ridiculous IS judging.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Hi,

How many of you log calories for cleaning and shopping etc? I know alot of people do but I personally dont understand why, cleaning and shopping is just a day - day thing that people do

Not me! Heck I clean about once a week so when I do it it's very hard work! I sometimes end up sweating more cleaning my house than hitting the gym! :-P
    When I shop, I walk as fast as I do on the treadmill so why not count it? I also don't shop everyday... and some days (like yesterday) I shop until I hurt.... That's gotta be doing some caloric burning!
    I think it helps that not everyone eats back their calories. I don't eat back mine, if I can help it. I am set at sedentary and let me tell you, I do live the sedentary life. So logging things like shopping and cleaning which aren't everyday things for me is ok. At least I'm not logging every time I get up to walk to the bathroom/kitchen/car.... That's really lazy workouts... or logging your calories burned while driving to and from the gym? COME ON!
    With that said, everyone is different. If people are logging their shopping and cleaning and still losing weight (AHEM! I AM!) then let them DO it... that's the beauty of MFP!
  • cmcmicheal
    Options
    I agree with you. I clean for a friend once a week and it takes me 2 hours, I break a sweat and work at a very fast pace so I log it. But other than that I don't log cleaning or shopping. I will make a mental note of it though and maybe let myself have a few extra calories for the day. I am still losing weight so it's working!
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have my profile set to light activity. I do log cleaning, but not shopping. I don't feel bad doing this, because I am pretty sure my calories burned for my weight lifting workouts are well under what they should be, by MFP standards. For example, I did 20 mins of strength training with 5 exercises that targeted at least 4 muscle groups at a time, (3 sets of 10-15 reps each) and only burned 66 calories? I seriously doubt it. Besides, if I made the effort to do something, then I earned the calories burned, even if it is just cleaning. Shopping though I have no way of knowing so I don't bother with that one.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't log minor cleaning, but I do log serious cleaning. And since I do think the MFP estimate is too high, I don't put the full amount of time I spent cleaning. However, it is more activity than I typically get so yes, I log it. Maybe only 2 hours instead of the 4 I actually spent, but I do log it. As for shopping, I often wear my chest strap and HRM to determine the calories burned. I park farther away from the stores and power walk to and between stores. Plus all the bending, lifting, reaching and stretching once in the stores yields a very nice calorie burn. To those who don't log these activities, that's fine. There is no hard and fast rule. We each have to do what works best for ourselves!! :flowerforyou:
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

You've either never cleaned in your life or never done it properly. Cleaning is physically hard work when done properly.

Ha! LOVE YOU!!! I don't know about other people, but I'm always fast and furious when I clean. There's definitely some elbow grease involved. I log it, since I can't seem to find a way to do anything slowly without getting my heart rate up. I'm always rushing around.

And shopping? Umm...I live in Seattle and don't drive, so it always involves tons of walking, carrying packages, and plenty of hills.
  • RosalindaP
    RosalindaP Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I only log my weekly deep cleaning and the best answer I can give is because I want to! My food and exercise diary are public I know but they are still mine so if I want to go back and review and check myself to see how I've been doing I usually don't have time to exercise on cleaning day, even if I did have the energy. So for me it isn't about trying to get extra kudos or cheat myself into thinking I have earned extra calories...it's more of a reminder. Instead of working out I spent my hour and a half to 3 hours cleaning up. Then I know I wasn't just being lazy that day.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    A calorie burnt is a calorie burnt.

Do you log sex :blushing: ? Hey, at the end of the day, it all adds up!

Yes! Not often enough, though!

I can't find that on the list! I have considered logging it in as "wrestling", but I'm not sure how accurate that is! It's not like either of us are trying to get out of the hold....:bigsmile: (and neither of us has ever "lost" a bout! :wink: )
  • spookiewon
    Options
    Don't log this in.
    It's NOT exercise.

So you'll attack my post for being judgmental, but you're more than happy to support ridiculous gender stereotypes? Wow...

Again, a reply fitting to the post in question. His attitude is pretty much the same as yours--that the two of you somehow have higher standards.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

That's exactly the point. Your bar is no higher than mine. You suggest my opinion that cleaning and shopping are exercise is ridiculous, and I assure you that your belief that it is not is just as ridiculous. You're offended by the exact same wording you used to describe other people's opinions. You were supposed to be offended. It was offensive when you said it, and that's what's wrong with that.

Calling something ridiculous IS judging.

I agree with you completely. And it has nothing to do with the thickness of my skin. I don't know about anyone else, but I can spot *kitten* behavior without being personally offended. It's totally doable.

Next someone will start a thread about "How can you log 'jogging' as exercise? I mean, I run for 12 miles at a 6 min pace, and THAT's a workout. But pfft...jogging? Get real."

Do what works for you and leave everyone else alone. OP: you apparently know what works for you, so what opinion or advice are you really looking for? Either cheer your friends on or dont. It's totally up to you.
  • spookiewon
    Options
    A calorie burnt is a calorie burnt.

Do you log sex :blushing: ? Hey, at the end of the day, it all adds up!

Yes! Not often enough, though!

That's another one of those things that (even though it's NOT an every day activity sometimes... grrr) I just would rather include in my daily calorie expenditure.

And count as you like, but if you ask your doctor, it's exercise. A really great cardio workout, BTW.
  • aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I typically log just "workouts" but the other day I scrubbed all the walls, window sills, cupboards, baseboards, and floors in my living room, foyer, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and dining room....it took 4 hours....so yep, damn right I logged it lol
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I refuse to log cleaning and shopping. Women, as a whole, tend to undercalculate their calories consumed, and overcalculate their calories burned- and it's because we log stuff like this. If it isn't planned, I won't log it.

While it may be physically demanding, and it may get your heart rate up, I don't think you should count it unless it is a planned exercise. When you're walking in a store, you walk maybe a mile or two an hour. That's a very leisurely pace. You'll help yourself in the long run if you do it anyway and just don't log it. Think of it as bonus calories. As long as you consume above your BMR, it's only going to help you out!