What's on your menu for Christmas??!!

Options
imalikat2
imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
One of my MFP friends asked what's on our menu for Christmas dinner and I thought, what a great topic. Depending upon where you live you may have a different tradition or types of food other than the usual turkey dinner.

I love our Christmas dinner... we have rib roast, yorkshire pudding, fresh veggies, mashed potatoes and some type of decadent homemade dessert.

So... what's on your Christmas menu??

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Dad's House- Normally we have a whole array of ham, turkey, sausage, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, sweet potatoes, multiple desserts, and lots of liquor for the adults...this year though, they said it's just going to be a bunch of random junk food, healthy and not healthy! We're supposed to have about 8 people in all between step siblings and spouses and step grandparents and what not, as well as my dad, step mom, and sister.

Mom's House- Turkey, green beans, fruit salad, stuffing, 1 dessert...most likely apple pie! For Christmas, it's just the 2 of us.

I am spending Christmas Eve with my Dad's side so plan to be as healthy as possible, and that way when I drive back to my Mom's for Christmas, I can enjoy myself since I like her foods better. :)
  • steamingcoffee
    steamingcoffee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    we always have my aunt's tomato and rice soup and homemade guacamole and tortilla chips. Look forward to it all year, along with her french toast on christmas morning
  • sandradi11
    Options
    Roast Turkey & trimmings all the way! - pigs in blankets, stuffing, parsnips, brussel sprouts, carrots, roast potatoes, bread sauce, cranberry sauce & gravy :-)

This would usually be followed by Christmas pudding & cake which my husband loves. I'm not a fan though so we'll also be making an apple, rhubarb & raspberry crumble with custard.

A few mince pies and some Spanish & Italian Christmas sweets and cakes throughout the day too!

I don't think I'll be logging that day and if i do it'll be off the scale!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Homemade Mexican food!!!
  • samatalma
    Options
    Ham and mashed potatoes probably dinner rolls of some sort and who knows what else. I am making Oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I DO plan on eating all of it, just limiting my portion size and not going overboard. Don't want to undo the good that has already been done!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I carry on my mothers Christmas dinner tradition- Prime Rib and Ravioli. And lots of Champagne!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Pozole and tamales!!! Homemade Mexican food.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Prime rib, ham, creme brulee, deviled eggs, sourdough brie bowl, fingerling potatoes, that's what I know so far.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So my christmas mornings start at my moms for breakfast which includes scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, homefries toast and OJ ( this will be hard to resist i am bringing my cheerios) then off to mu dads for luch, this includes ham, smashed potatos,green beans carrots and some sort of salad, and of course a dessert and lt and lots of shots and beer, the when i get home a light dinner (probably left overs i brought home) and ginger bread with whip cream. It all sounds so good toooo bad i can't eat it :(
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    chirstmas eve we order pizza :)
    christmas day is scrapple and eggs for breakfast, usually snacky things through out the day - home made pimento cheese, crackers, prayer bars, sugar cookies, pumpkin roll, no bake cookies, veggie tray, shrimp ring. and dinner is rib roast on the rotisserie with roasted red potatoes and a veggie or two.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Starting a new tradition....salmon..green salad...green beans...deviled eggs with low fat mayo. Low cal pumpkin desert. I love salmon so this will not be difficult at all.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    We're having a traditional Thanksgiving-esque type of meal on Christmas Eve. On Christmas day, we always have a late breakfast that usually consists of some sort of breakfast casserole, then we just snack all day on cheese and crackers, desserts, meat tray, etc...
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve is usually snack type things (cheese, crackers, summer sausage) maybe some pizza.

Christmas this year will be ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes and who knows what else. lol

I usually help make tamales but this year has been a tough one, my stepdad's brother is getting out of the hospital (he had brain surgery, literally). So tamales don't look like they're in our future this Xmas. But ya never know!!!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve Dinner;
    -Spaghetti with clam sauce
    -Scallops
    -Fried Sole
    -Calamari
    -Shrimp
    -Various deserts

Christmas Day
    -Turkey
    -Sweet Potato pie
    -Salad
    -Various deserts
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My mum cooks a Greek dish called Pasticho which is kind of like lasagne but not.. So creamy and delicious, me and her worked out last night that one slice is 333 calories.

There will also be other favourites such as potato salad and Koupepia which are like vine leaves with ground beef, rice and crushed vegetables inside. (about 40 cal each)

So in total my christmas menu should total around 500 calories (and that's without dessert).

There will also be lamb cooked on the BBQ, but I've never been a fan of that so I can steer away from those calories with joy ;)
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    We have alot to go to: My family's these delicious pizza burgers, homemade potato salad with chips, veggies, cheeseballs and crackers sounds simple but really good, my husbands dads side is traditional turkey/ham much like Thanksgiving and my husbands moms is pretty simple we either get catered deli fried chicken and cook sides or we do ham scalloped potatoes and other sides but the kicker at that one is my MIL makes all her yummy homemade candy: fudge PB and regular, buckeyes, chocolate covered cherries, etc
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Our children are grown & will stay home with their kids this year so my friend, her husband & I are going to Cracker Barrel for their christmas dinner - it's like $10 - the works turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing gravy - side veggie (I pick fried okra) dinner rolls & dessert
    then, since I am off that week I'll take home a doggie bag & have leftovers for lunch one day
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.. I get hungry just thinking about it!

We're having stew with dumplings and chocolate cake on Christmas Eve and then a baked ham, cabbage rolls, home-made dinner buns, scalloped potatoes and cranberry sauce with coconut cream pie for dessert for Christmas Day :bigsmile:

As well as bakery desserts and chocolates throughout Christmas Day. I'm so excited lol
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Turkey and ham, DRESSING--my grandmother's...I've waited patiently all year! Sweet potato casserole (my other favorite), broccoli, green bean bundles, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, cranberry stuff I don't eat, yeast rolls, several pies. My extended family counts potatoes and corn as vegetables :), so a very starchy Christmas.
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    ham
    vege/fruit and cheese dish
    cheesey potatoes
    green bean casserole
    rolls
    cake ( someones b-day)
    salad
    rum balls