MFP Vs WW

Options
124»

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've done WW, WW & MFP and now MFP only.

WW is a great program - I lost around 20 pounds and was able to keep it off. I agree the Points Plus thing made it a little tougher and that was when I stopped paying for a program that wasnt working for me anymore.

In my opinion, whatever program you choose will only work depending on the amount of dedication YOU put into it.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I am cheering for both.

Firstly....I do not use WW. Majority of my weight loss came from watching nutrition pre MFP. I use MFP as a tracker and a pool of advice, routines and support.

I have seen some amazing results with WW. My wife has lost over 30% of her body weight, become fit and healthy, formed better smarter eating habits while still enjoying small indulgences (all in well under a year)

SIMILARITIES
    Both require you to track what you eat. When we log what goes into our mouths we are more likely to pick the healthy option as their is lingering evidence of what we have done.

Both are supported by a community of people who are there to see others succeed.

Both alter the points/calories depending on gender, age, weight, activity level etc

Both encourage weightloss at a low maximum. (MFP 2lbs per week max, WW -1% per week)

Long term they both work. Unless you have taken no notice of what you have been doing the whole time you have been on either program, you have a pretty good idea of what you can eat in a day. Through your journey you have formed new habits. Finishing a program doesn't mean you are going to finish eating well.

DIFFERENCES
    As mentioned WW uses points. I am on the points side of things here. MFP counts calories. 1000cals of fat is not the same as 1000cals of lean protein. Yet in the world of calorie counting there is no difference. That don't sit right with me.

WW doesn't count MOST vegetables or SOME fruits. Sure if we go over the top with our fruits or calorie and sugar intake will be high BUT think back to when you were overweight. Were you slamming back the fruit and veg like no tomorrow? I don't think so. Free veg and fruit is there to encourage people to eat other types of foods to get a point free fix where normally they would reach for potato chips or chocolate. Also, a serving of celery using their nutritional formula comes up with a 0 point value. A serving of celery is next to zero in the calorie department anyway. Sure if you eat too much of a particular food you can still get fat but I would love to see the person who eats THAT much celery.

If you can, use both. If not use MFP or daily burn or any food tracking program. Keep up the good work and keep an eye on nutrition.

Couldn't have said it better than this. ^ I lost 43 lbs on WW 4 years ago. I have maintained the loss for almost 3 years now. I joined MFP, because it was easier tracking here and on my phone. The WW point/MFP calorie intake was not much different. Those who gain back, have no program to blame but them selves. I still have the same exercise routine, and still eat the same as I did when I was hard at work to lose the weight. WW never told me what to eat, nor pushed any of their products, {which I never purchased,- too processed} But they did help with the emotional side of eating, the why's of overeating. The healthy diet was due to my own research and determination. You just need to find that niche that works, and then work it. It is different for everyone. I was successful on WW and highly recommend it.
  • Truecullers72
    Truecullers72 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think either program will work, I did the WW program about 2 years ago and lost 57 pounds. And I have also counted calories and that also works. This time around I decided to try to finish up my weight lost journey by using calories. I guess its just a matter of personnal preference.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Weightwatchers I did just have a nosey and it made me mad lol. Apparently my BMI is 21, but I would probably feel better if I pay £20 a month, meh, stick with free I say.