Venting....

Options
Has anyone had a situation where there is a group or person who feels the need to constantly comment about your food choices and/or weight, where it goes beyond "helping" and begins to be offensive. I dont mean anyone on MFP because in my opinion its expected and welcome. I mean someone in your life who you never ask for their opinion. I'm having issues at WORK about this and I would love to hear how you dealt with this.

Replies

• livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes. I smile and nod then stick my tongue out at her when she turn her back. Not someone I can confront easily. She is always telling me how my shirts are not long enough or my sleeves are to short for my big arms. Or how if I would just not have that Mt. Dew I would lose weight. Or......the dreaded......if you want a baby you should not eat that. I try to take it with a grain of salt because I think she really is trying to help but does not know how.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Is this a superior? If so, you need to address it tactfully and in private, and if it continues, report to HR.

If it's not, the next time it happens I would just say something to the effect of, "Thank you for your concern, but I'm doing just fine without your input. I have a plan, and it's working for me." And if it continues, pull them aside and tell them pointedly to stop because they're being rude. And if it still continues, report to HR.
  • 75lbsless
    75lbsless Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @ livinginwoods She sounds like a real jerk :( You've lost 150+ pounds!! how dare she even try to tell you what to eat, thank you for sharing. I can soo relate to this. Keep up the good work.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I used to have no backbone, now I have a really sarcastic one. If it were me, I would pretend to be really apologetic and say,

"I am so sorry. I really owe you an apology and I don't know how to begin. See, evidently some time in the past I gave you the impression that this private area of my life was open for your advice or scrutiny. It isn't. Please forgive me for letting you think that for so long".
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It gets old fast believe me I have been there with certain people. I would just smile and ignore the comments. I think part of the reason I fell off track before was because of all of the comments and jokes I would hear before. After a while people should get what you are about and stop hassling you so much.. if they keep it up then they are just being rude.... If that is the case make sure you definitely keep your head up high and smile :)
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well, no......I have that much to lose, but I will one day! Don't let others discourage you.
  • 75lbsless
    Options
    @aj It's my coworkers, I just started working there so I don't want to come off overly sensitive. I have told her that im not in a diet and that im happy with my weight lol hoping she'd leave me alone. This other guy told me I was too young to be overweight WHILE I was eating my lunch and I was sooo mad I grabbed my lunch and left. These are the same people that I see hoggin up the christmas cookies clients bring to the shop SMH
  • starross87
    Options
    Yeah I definitely have that problem at work too. Some people feel the need to comment about your food because they themselves are uncomfortable with their own weight/health/food choices, that they take it out on you, which is obviously unfair. This one girl at work allllways comments on what I eat for lunch, so I try to eat lunch a little bit later or earlier than most of the office so I won't have to deal with people's comments...I know that doesn't necessarily solve the problem, but at least I can eat in peace!
  • 75lbsless
    Options
    @rahbuhbuh I wish i could say something like that...
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    This must be a girl thing. I swear I could eat a quadruple chili burger with fries on it an no one would say anything to me.

To all of you: I am sorry that poopie people feel the need to bring you down instead of encourage you. The fact that you are doing something/anything to be more fit shows you are awesome. Too bad you can't click the "Ignore" button on people. :(
  • 75lbsless
    Options
    @scorpioangel well you look great I bet you shut them all up!
  • 75lbsless
    Options
    @rahbuhbuh RIIIIIGHT??? OMG Its cool I'll use it as motivation to prove them wrong one day
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I used to have no backbone, now I have a really sarcastic one. If it were me, I would pretend to be really apologetic and say,

"I am so sorry. I really owe you an apology and I don't know how to begin. See, evidently some time in the past I gave you the impression that this private area of my life was open for your advice or scrutiny. It isn't. Please forgive me for letting you think that for so long".

Omg I'm laughing so hard at this.
  • 75lbsless
    Options
    @starross87 yes i have tried this. I feel very uncomfortable in the lounge area I feel like they're counting how many times Im in there lol
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Bluntly, bug someone else.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    That is why I told no one at work...people think they say anything and in such hurtful ways.
  • Scorpioangel
    Options
    @scorpioangel well you look great I bet you shut them all up!

Aww thank you :)
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hate it when this happens, One of my hubby's friends is always telling me that I am losing to much weight, or that I workout to much. He tells me that my body fat % is to low, and that I need to stop dieting. When you have a goal in mind no one should keep fro it. and if you want to splurge some here and there it is your business. What are they doing to better their lives. Don't worry about was other people think. When someone tells me something like that, i just tell them that it is my body and what I put into it is not of their business!
  • Scorpioangel
    Options

LOL this is funny!!!!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would flat out tell them that you didn't ask for their advice.

"You might lose more weight if you stopped drinking pop."

"It's nice that you want to help, but I really didn't ask for your opinion. My lunch is tasty. How is yours?"