1200 Calories is just too much! ? Advice...

Options

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    So my goal in take is 1200 Calories. and sometimes I meet that goal or exceed it. But only because I feel like I should be eating 3 small meals a day and 3 snacks in between all healthy of course. But something my husband and I noticed. His goal calorie intake is 1800... Mine is 1200 and sometimes we just aren't that hungry and force ourselves to eat. idk if we should eat less because we aren't hungry or keep eating our recommended even if that means not being hungry and eating!

How long have you been on your present eating plan? If it has been less than 4-6 weeks, you should give yourself and your body time to adjust. Staggered eating IS the natural way to eat; no one wants/desires/needs the same amount of nutrition each day...Life demands a NATURAL Stagger (some days are harder than others, some days you may want something sweet, some days you may not feel like eating very much at all...) If you have a plan and basically Average 1200 calories over 7Days, that fills the bill. If you have been on your plan MORE than 4-6 weeks and it is not working, then make small adjustments. Don't "tweek" something and you don't even know if it works or not. If you are in this for the long haul (Lifestyle Change) getting and staying healthy is the main purpose...eating 1200 calories per day, weight WILL come off!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I just find it weird that people are more rude then helpful on here your opinions are no longer needed. I will eat my 1200 calories and enjoy it YUM! You guys have been so helpful and FYI :) Add me if you wanna see my food diary. I stopped eating out fast food... No soda and everything whole grain more fruit and veggies oh yeah and exercise. ;) Ill un private it for you guys if you really like... there u go !

I didn't see anyone being rude, it seems like maybe you're being a little defensive because someone misread your current weight based on your ticker.

The bottom line is that yes, you need to meet your calorie goal. No one should eat fewer than 1200 calories. Toddlers need at least 1000 calories every day, an adult obviously needs significantly more than that even if they are trying to lose weight.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    wow i wish I had this problem. I am always hungry on 1200 calories and never satisfied.

I am a believer in listen to your body, no point eating if your not hungry, you body will let you know when it needs more.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I am completely full and satisfied at the end of the day having only eaten 1000 calories. My caloric intake should be 1,200 also. Somedays that is just too much. Listen to your body. Eat when your hungry. Stop when your full.

Sometimes your body doesn't know what it actually needs. Plenty of people start here eating well under 1000 calories and find it hard to eat more because their body has gotten used to surviving on so little. Sometimes you have to actually retrain your body to want the proper amount of food.
  • Beaverton_2015
    Options
    Hello all, I have a request for someone to look at the things I eat, I end up eating under my calories, and over on other things. Thanks in advance.
  • yayaoo7
    Options
    i feel that you should eat what is recommended skinny isn't always healthy and eating too few calories can actually make you bigger! i am almost never hungry but i force myself to take in calories and i see myself slowly but surly getting fit thanks mfp!
  • fitnoflab
    Options
    I just find it weird that people are more rude then helpful on here your opinions are no longer needed. I will eat my 1200 calories and enjoy it YUM! You guys have been so helpful and FYI :) Add me if you wanna see my food diary. I stopped eating out fast food... No soda and everything whole grain more fruit and veggies oh yeah and exercise. ;) Ill un private it for you guys if you really like... there u go !
    I actually thought several people were helpful. The incorporating HIIT to increase hunger, using a protein drink and adding a healthy calorie dense food to a meal are all great ideas. I actually read this thread cause I think you posted a good topic. Focus on the positive responses. I have also been on here for a short time and I think we should try and learn from people who have sound advice and try not to be sensitive. Your heading asked for advice...
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    So my goal in take is 1200 Calories. and sometimes I meet that goal or exceed it. But only because I feel like I should be eating 3 small meals a day and 3 snacks in between all healthy of course. But something my husband and I noticed. His goal calorie intake is 1800... Mine is 1200 and sometimes we just aren't that hungry and force ourselves to eat. idk if we should eat less because we aren't hungry or keep eating our recommended even if that means not being hungry and eating!

I have only been doing this since december 1st

How long have you been on your present eating plan? If it has been less than 4-6 weeks, you should give yourself and your body time to adjust. Staggered eating IS the natural way to eat; no one wants/desires/needs the same amount of nutrition each day...Life demands a NATURAL Stagger (some days are harder than others, some days you may want something sweet, some days you may not feel like eating very much at all...) If you have a plan and basically Average 1200 calories over 7Days, that fills the bill. If you have been on your plan MORE than 4-6 weeks and it is not working, then make small adjustments. Don't "tweek" something and you don't even know if it works or not. If you are in this for the long haul (Lifestyle Change) getting and staying healthy is the main purpose...eating 1200 calories per day, weight WILL come off!
  • CiciPorcayo
    Options
    defensive yes. because I am not a liar and have nothing to hide check my food diary if you all wish I eat generally healthy a few of my fav things here and there I am human... But I don't like to be told that I should weigh less if I am telling the truth
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    Are you seriously logging EVERYTHING?!?! Weight and measure everything for a week and check if you are still not over 1200. Not to be rude, but how can you be 150lb when only eating 1200cal?

As said on many other threads, 1200 is a definite minimum, you will have to eat to keep your body going.
    What she said.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    The only thing i see on your diary that you may want to work on is the fat content..my doctor told me no more than 30 percent of calories from fat..so for 1200 calories, try to aim at 36...
    if you want you can take the weight off your ticker so others can't see..good luck on your journey feel free to add me!
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options

I dont think people are trying to be rude, but 1200 is really easy to eat so if you arent there is likely a reason. Ie. Eating the wrong foods, starving yourself, not logging everything, not actually entering the correct potions (do you weight your foods?).
  • CiciPorcayo
    Options
    i feel that you should eat what is recommended skinny isn't always healthy and eating too few calories can actually make you bigger! i am almost never hungry but i force myself to take in calories and i see myself slowly but surly getting fit thanks mfp!

Yeah and that is what I am trying to figure out should I eat those calories anyways even when I am not hungry or not...? That is all and I am not intentionally taking in fewer calories I LOVE food! Lots of food. just only some days.. I don't wanna be skinny I wanna be in shape and healthy 130lbs for being 5'2 is a good healthy weight to me. Not what I use to be which was 103-105lbs
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I have a request for someone to look at the things I eat, I end up eating under my calories, and over on other things. Thanks in advance.

i can't see ur diary...are u asking for help?
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hmm! All of your meals do look fairly well balanced. I am no nutrition expert, but I do see that you're getting your proteins and your veggies both. I would try maybe planning your meals ahead if possible. And be sure that in your settings, you have everything accurate. Especially your daily activity. Since you are at the bare minimum, you either have to go over, or stay under. I would double check that, and try to stay about 50-100 cals over if it doesn't change. 1,200 is what you need for just laying in bed all day. If you are hardly sitting down throughout the day, maybe you need to change your daily activity level. I really hope this is helpful, at good luck on finding your medium and good luck on your losses!
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories a day and I was struggling to eat them all, especially because I exercise almost daily. I upped my calories, started snacking more during the day (as well as eating my 3 solid meals) and it helped a lot! Basically I just quit eating diet food and just... ate whatever I wanted, as long as it was within my calorie range.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I dunno, is it such a big deal to hit 1200? I often don't. I like to give myself wiggle room in case I want a midnight snack. First of all, I'm generally estimating my calories (I have to eyeball portions, I don't go around with a scale and measuring cup) and second of all, I was horribly unhealthy before I started dieting, so even if I don't get enough protein all the time (or INSERT VITAMIN), I'm still being better than I had been.
  • neesono
    Options
    Hey CiCi....I have been messing around with MFP and P90X since March. I was doing really well from March-May, went on vacation, and I've been struggling to get back into my routine ever since.

But during the time I was really working at all this I was seeing results.

With that said here is what I found......

Everyone is different. And there are a lot of "experts" out there. Depending on your height, age, gender, lifestyle, and even genetics, you're daily calorie intake is going to change.

There really is no magic number. Some will tell you that 1200 is the absolute healthy minimum. But I know vegans who are incredibly fit and healthy and operate between 800-1000. And of course the pros need anywhere between 2000-3000+

The only person who knows what's best for you is you. Of course do your research so you can have a nice place to start. But then you're going to have to tailor it to fit you.

I tried for a long time to stick to a rigid number of calories but for me that didn't work. I had to play around with my numbers on a weekly basis. I let my body and my clothing tell me how I was doing.

It could take you months to tweak your numbers until you find what is comfortable for you. But once you find that happy place then you'll start noticing steady and significant weight loss.

One bit of advice that I got from MFP that seems to be universal is to change things up. At least every 2-3 weeks. Change your diet, change your exercise routine. Be consistent with your food intake and exercise of course but mix it up a little so your body doesn't adapt.

Another bit of advise I will give you....throw away your scale. Do it now! Keep a measuring tape in the house but if you want to weight yourself go to the gym and do it once a week...if that.

If you ever feel like you're not getting enough of something...your body will let you know....grab a multi vitamin.

You'll find your groove eventually as long as you stick with it.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories a day and I was struggling to eat them all, especially because I exercise almost daily. I upped my calories, started snacking more during the day (as well as eating my 3 solid meals) and it helped a lot! Basically I just quit eating diet food and just... ate whatever I wanted, as long as it was within my calorie range.

This! I find on days where I eat super healthy...a lot of veggies and protein, some but not a lot of carbs etc, that I feel very full without coming close to 1200, as I can eat a lot of the foods for very few calories. So I stopped, I upped my calories by adding say a glass of chocoate almond milk, or a fat free chocolate pudding, or some potatoes with dinner, some dip with my veggies etc. I eat pretty much whatever I want, within reason, as long as I can fit it into my calorie goal. I am also 5'2 and a 130 was given 1200 calories net. You're welcome to look at my diary but ignore this last weekend it was a complete blowout with Christmas parties and such!
  • evergreen5
    evergreen5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I had a hard time eating 1200 net calories. I would eat most of them in the evening trying to get them all in. I felt really stuffed and uncomfortable. Now I eat more in the morning and early in the day. I do have more energy than I have had in a long time.
    I'm not going to step on a scale until 2 weeks after Christmas to see if this is working. :smile: But my clothes are starting to get loose and I have more energy so I do think it is the right thing for me.