I NEED HELP MY HUSBAND IS A FAST FOOD MANAGER!!!!! and i don

Options
124»

Replies

• dcarreno
    Options
    no vegi's well looks like you are doomed. Good luck........ I am kidding. I say you power past your visual repugnace of vegi's do that for a few weeks. Your body will start to crave them. Look back at a few ways to prepare sweet potatos and you will love them. Your body was designed for whole living food. Your molars are evidence of that. Get past your vegiphobia. No amount of help is going to get you over that you have to do that one on your own sister. Good luck.
  • chrissywalk
    chrissywalk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite websites for yummy cooking and easy to make meals www.skinnytaste.com :bigsmile:

What a wonderful site!! So many choices! Thanks
  • Sweetrayray80
    Options
    Learn simple things like substituting ground turkey for ground beef. Don't tell your family. They won't know. Look up crock pot recipes online. This is an easy way to learn to cook fresher food. I'm lucky enough to have started cooking at 5 years old, but I realize that is not common anymore. So, hide the vegetables. Mix a little cut broccoli in the macaroni and cheese. Add tiny pieces of celery, carrots, squash to spaghetti sauce. Somethings you just won't get past them. My 12 yr old eats anything, my 7 yr old can spot an onion a mile away, my 4 yr old will eat all the 7 yr olds onions & the baby hates the color green unless it's buried under yellow! If you want to know how to make anything specific I can help! Just let me know. I managed fast food for years & trust me it will catch up with you!
  • Simitra
    Simitra Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use cooks.com alot as well..I cater parties and weddings. Just type in a few main ingredients and it suggests recipes. Also ground turkey is healthier than cow but I can't much get past the texture...my mom taught me to blend 50/50 with the meats and the turkey takes on the flavor and texture of the beef but renders down less because it has less fat, much better for you.
    Oh, and don't forget foodnetwork.com they have videos, look up Alton brown..he explains why foods cook the way they do in a fun yet informative way. Good luck
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Generally, I've found that people "don't like" vegetables because they a) had "bad experiences" with them as children or b) don't know how to prepare them. If you boil the crap out of a brussels sprout and make it all mushy, or serve up gray broccoli, well sure, I wouldn't eat it either.

Roasting veggies gives them a completely new flavor. You can roast anything - sweet potato wedges, brussels sprouts, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, all the veggies that people generally turn their noses up at, and it gives them this wonderful crispy outside and nutty flavor. Just cut em into reasonable-sized chunks, give em a light spray of Pam or a quick toss of olive oil, spice 'em up and roast!

Also, I don't have kids and don't plan to, but I think getting your kids involved in cooking and food preparation makes them more inclined to eat it. Bring them grocery shopping (or even better, to a farmer's market - or even even better, start a vegetable garden!) Crack open some easy cookbooks and learn and cook together - some of my best memories are me standing on a chair in my grandmother's kitchen cooking with her. It might excite them to eat, because they have seen where their food comes from and have been involved in the preparation. You could even name the dishes after them that they help you with - "Sally's Sweet Potatoes" or whatever - it might give them a sense of pride in the food. Use cooking as a time to bond - that way you can learn together! :)
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite websites for yummy cooking and easy to make meals www.skinnytaste.com :bigsmile:

Thanks for sharing this website, the food looks amazing! Yummy :smile:
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    he works at whataburger. they have a salad thats basically lettuce and fried chicken tenders with a few shredded carrots and 2 or 3 grape tomatoes thats just way too much lettuce for me. they have grilled chicken but ever time i eat their grilled chicken i throw up. my body just doenst like it for some reason. they have hamburgers, fried chicken sandwiches and breakfast items like breakfast tacos, biscuits and pancakes

OMG I miss Whataburger. When I went home on leave I had it almost daily... *drool*

I'm in the same boat as you as far as knowledge of cooking.. I usually pick a few simple things out of the frozen section (like salsbury steak or cream sauce with chicken and broccoli over rice) then try to make some 'healthy' choices along with it like frozen veggies or salad with lots of veggies and light dressing... it's easy for starters.. Also start looking up quick recipeas... Like home made mashed potatos vs box ones.. Also I LOVE fruit but the more I eat it the sweeter I find it becomes so I've started keeping grapes and strawberries around for dessert as opposed to sugary sweets.
    My crockpot is my favorite by far. There are some awesome recipes and a lot of things you can just throw together.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This is an EXCELLENT blog for great and easy recipes and actually includes the cost of making it! Delicious food and tons of recipes!

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    No, you don't have the right to force feed anyone.
    Perhaps we have a nomenclature misunderstanding, but even in this advanced year of 2011, the role of a parent is to produce a productive member of society. Just because you cannot spank a misbehaving child in public does not mean that it is not a parental duty to discipline a child.

I did not mean to imply that you should shovel vegetables down your children's throats; however, making a child sit at the table* until he or she finishes the fundamental parts of a meal is not at all out of line.
    -wtk

* Or however you choose to deal with that as a parent. I don't give a damn.

I agree with your point. It isn't a "clean your plate" thing (because we know that making people, even children, eat when they are not hungry develops unhealthy eating habits). My daughter has to sit for "family time" at dinner (a protective factor for eating disorders, mental health and substance prevention is eating family meals). She is hungry and needs to sit until we are all done and at least try what is on her plate. If she helps make it, even better, and she is more likely to eat it. We can't force people to eat but it doesn't hurt to spend some time chatting with them over supper and broaden their horizons!

I am sure you do more cooking than you give yourself credit for :)
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    We have an M&M Meats here, not sure if that chain is available where you live. It is basically frozen foods and meals that you can fix up at home. So fajita kits with the spices, marinated chicken, tortillas, etc. And seasoned chicken or beef that you just add sides to (which are also available). If you start with some pre-made things, learn what you like, then you can maybe start experimenting with making it on your own.

In Canada, places like Public Health or family resource centres have free dietary advice and resources, and sometimes even food mentoring that has free cooking lessons in groups!
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using your microwave to cook, I do it 4-5 times a week. I normally use it for steaming frozen veggies to just perfectly cooked. Here are a couple of my go to methods that I use in a time crunch, they take less than 20 minutes.

Cook 2 oz of pasta (i use Ronzoni smart taste- wheat pasta without wheat pasta look/taste) according to directions (no salt)
    Take 3 oz precooked frozen chicken breast, 1/2 a bag of frozen california mix veggies (can sub for what you like/have), pop in microwave (cook from frozen, dont add water)and cook until steaming hot all the way through (for one serving it takes me 4 minutes, stirring at 2 minutes)
    When pasta and chicken mix are done, add 3 tlbs teryaki baste/glaze (Makes chicken lo mein), or 1/4-1/2 c jarred light alfredo sauce (chicken alfredo)
    That serves one and is between 360-450 calories depending on sauces, multiply it for more people. I've also swapped the pasta for cooked brown rice with the teryaki sauce and get chicken fried rice.

Good luck to you, feel free to add me for other meal ideas