Anybody choose to NOT log any exercise?

Options

Replies

• Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me the calorie goal of 1,200. I think this is far too low for someone of my size, but I've kept it. That way if i go over it's not the end of the world. Although i do find myself exercising simply so I can eat more. Whilst that probably isn't helping my greed much, it must do me some good overall!
  • sugarflywithme83
    sugarflywithme83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, Im confused.

I thought the point of doing exercise is to burn off calories so that you can actually lose weight. I have been eating to my (and sometimes SOMETIMES over if ive done exercise) calorie goal of 1200 and i never try to go over if ive exercised because then whats the point?

i dont understand how it works then, can someone explain it to me? this poor little n00b lol!
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I only log my "serious" workouts - those that I explicitly go for a workout (e.g., hot yoga, runs). I do lots of other active things during the day with my almost-7 year old (sports, running around, etc.), but I never log it. I do eat back the calories from my real workouts as my deficit would be too large otherwise, and when my calories are too low I end up plateauing... I'm on the last 12 pounds so under-eating does me no good.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I log planned exercise and walks I don't log incedental exercise. And I try to keep as close to the 1200 cal limit. But if I dont reach that, I dont mind, and then if I go over one day, thats fine too. I dont eat my exercise cals because I dont know if mfp has accurate calculations on a lot of the exercise's.
  • Wan2LoseLbs
    Wan2LoseLbs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I always log any meaningful exercise and eat most of my spare calories, your body burns more calories exercising therefore it is only sensible to give your body more fuel (calories), to use an analogy, if you drive your car a lot further than normal then it needs more petrol / diesel or it will stop running - your body is the same.

Everybody is different, but this is the way I have been using this site for the last 106 days and I have lost over 30 pounds.

Good luck, A.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I only log main excercise that i do such as - zumba, just dance, ea sports active, 30 day shread etc. I dont log walking! I was loads and loads everyday soo my calorie burns would be way over 1000 everyday, and if i see that i have lots of excercise calories i will eat loads! and this makes me maintain my weight (which i dont want!).. so i only record other excercises other from walking :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Wow, Im confused.

I thought the point of doing exercise is to burn off calories so that you can actually lose weight. I have been eating to my (and sometimes SOMETIMES over if ive done exercise) calorie goal of 1200 and i never try to go over if ive exercised because then whats the point?

i dont understand how it works then, can someone explain it to me? this poor little n00b lol!

Okay, basically the short version: When you sign up for MFP, you enter your weight, your activity level, and how many pounds you want to lose a week. Based off of this, MFP gives you a goal. If you eat your goal calories every week, you should lose on average the number of pounds you specified to MFP that you want to lose. So you will lose weight with no exercise. if you exercise, your body needs more energy to function. If you don't eat back the calories, you form too high a calorie deficit (too many calories under what it takes for your body to maintain your weight). This does not help you lose more weight, in fact, it does the opposite. It causes your metabolism to slow because you are not giving your body enough fuel and it thinks it is starving itself. This is unhealthy, and harmful to weight loss.

For explanations from people smarter than me, check out the links on this page: http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/index2.html
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i do exactly the same as you, if i see i only have low cal allowance i feel starved, if i do LOADs of exercise and have lots of cals to eat back i would pig out! by doing it this way your cals are more even and you see at the start of the day what your allowance is so its easier to plan meals. if i have worked so hard in the gym why would i want to eat back what i just burned? it also motivates me to go to the gym, as i am eating enough to only lose 1lb, so the only way i will lose 2lbs is by working out :)

Most people do eat back their exercise cals as thats how MFP was designed to work, the more you exercise the more you can eat, but the calories are the same either way, so if it is working for you stick with it :)

eg mine are - MFP goal lose 2lb = 1240 cals plus eat back exercise of 500 per day
    MFP goal lose 1lb = 1740 cals. Do not eat back exercise cals 500 per day = 3500 burned, 2lb total loss.

I log my cals burned in exercise notes, that way you have a record of what you have done, but it doesnt affect cal totals. It would be nice if exercise could be logged seperately, but since the site is free i think we just need to work round how it works already :)
  • sugarflywithme83
    sugarflywithme83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I totally forgot about that goal thing. I am using it on my iphone is there anyway to change that goal weight?

Thank you so much for the information, it makes so much sense now and Im happy that I can eat back those calories!! :) i was wondering why I was feeling a little hungry and also, I put on 200 grams today!

Whew. OK. Im feeling good about this now :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I totally forgot about that goal thing. I am using it on my iphone is there anyway to change that goal weight?

Thank you so much for the information, it makes so much sense now and Im happy that I can eat back those calories!! :) i was wondering why I was feeling a little hungry and also, I put on 200 grams today!

Whew. OK. Im feeling good about this now :)

i think you can only change goal on website, not on app.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yea, you can change your goal calories on the website, not sure about the app. I changed mine because I dont eat my excercise calories so I calculated how many calories I need to sustain my current weight and used that as my goal calories, now when I excercise, whatever calories I burn is my deficit.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I don't log "incidental" exercise like most people, because that is already included in my activity level I selected when I signed up. I do log my runs, paddles, etc. I "eat back" my calories if I'm hungry or if I'm craving a treat. My dietician told me that this was fine, but to not eat any less than my usual 1200 calories (which is often how I just happen to eat, not because of what MFP has suggested to me).
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I wouldn't log. Now that I'm maintaining, I'll log at the end of the day so I'm not tempted to go overboard.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I only log what I eat. I never log what exercises I've done.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise and eat the calories because it's more motivation for me to exercise. I have my activity level at lightly active, but if I didn't log exercise, I'd have to bump it way up to the highest possible to get enough calories. If I had too few of calories, I'd burn through too much muscle. I've been skinny. I've been fat. I've been skinnyfat. I don't want any of those. I want to be fit and lean, and I won't be there if I don't eat enough.

(I'll also be cranky and miserable if I don't eat enough.)
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I just overestimate the amount of calories in the foods I eat and underestimate the calories I burn off in exercise.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I log mine just to keep track of how I'm doing. But currently I don't eat my excercise calories most of the time. Really I just try to eat healthier foods and if I'm hungry I will eat those calories but if not I don't worry about trying to eat them.

I set it to 1 lb a week because I'm happy with that much but have not been eating all my calories so I have been losing more.
  • oreoschick
    oreoschick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise but I never "eat back" my calories. I think it is stupid, because eating calories and burning calories are two completely different things, and I don't believe that one can "cancel out" the other! Also there are different types of calories. Eating 100 cals worth of strawberries verses 100 cals of potatoe chips is tychnically the same "amount" of calories but your body reacts differently to them, the strawberries are alot easier/ faster to burn while the chips would take more effort! I just use MFP as a way to keep track of my food/exercise for the day, not as some fancy weightloss formula.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I log it, but I don't eat it! :)