Anybody choose to NOT log any exercise?

Options

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I don't. I use my bodybugg to track my calories. When I was tracking my workouts on here I didn't see very good results, so I just workout and use this site as a ballpark.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have played around a lot with how to log and what settings to use in the three weeks since I've started. The way I'm doing it now seems to be the best for me personally. I set my activity level to lightly active so I don't log incidental exercise (cleaning, shopping, lugging my three small kids around day to day) and only log when I do a planned exercise. I also set my goal to a pound a week although I'd love to lose more that that. The combined calorie level it provides me is very workable on a normal day. Those days I don't eat the exercise calories back or if I do I only borrow a few of them. On days when I need more calories (lunch out with the family, a special treat, etc) I eat back some more of the exercise calories. And on the rare day when I can't get any exercise in at all I'm still ok on the calories alloted.
    I wouldn't dream of not logging the planned exercise. I like the motivation of seeing it posted. But, I just look at those calories earned as "extra" and not something I should just eat to get rid of.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise and eat the calories because it's more motivation for me to exercise. I have my activity level at lightly active, but if I didn't log exercise, I'd have to bump it way up to the highest possible to get enough calories. If I had too few of calories, I'd burn through too much muscle. I've been skinny. I've been fat. I've been skinnyfat. I don't want any of those. I want to be fit and lean, and I won't be there if I don't eat enough.

(I'll also be cranky and miserable if I don't eat enough.)
    ^^^ Listen to this lady, she is both wise and fabulous!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I don't like to log all my exercise bc I will never eat those calories back. Not just that, but a lot of the time I just forget to log my exercise. No biggie. I still lose.

On the flip side - I find it funny when people log every single thing... walked 12 steps to the bathroom... walked around Wal-mart looking for diapers... scratched butt for 10 minutes... Ugh.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I think I see better weight loss efforts if I try to avoid eating my extra fitness calories. Some days, I am so hungry I feel like eating all my calories AND my fitness calories are not enough and I could easily eat more! On those days, I try to stay as close as I can to the goals trying to reach zero. Other days, I feel fine not eating my extra calorie goals. So no point eating just because! Eat more fiber and that helps allot I think. So I think you just need to listen to your body. I try to NOT eat my fitness calories but they are there if I need them. Just gotta listen to what your body is saying.
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i plan to log exercise at the end of the day after i have logged all my food so i only take in my 1500 calories. i should be taking in 1200but an a nursing mom so i have to add 300 for my baby. i try not to eat more than that and what ever exercise i do i add after im done loging the food for the day so i make sure im right around my calories for the day. and i will only log my real work outs. i wont log any of this 20 minutes of cleaning and stuff cause that isnt a major work out.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP as set up. I eat between my BMR and TDEE to lose weight, and I don't log exercise or "eat back" the calories from exercise.

If I did it MFP's way, then I guess I would log it

^ This right here. While I'm currently in a surplus (bulking), I did the above and I think it's perfectly viable method, and also quite simple since you can just target the same intake daily. If I were using MFP's methods I'd log it and eat back most of the exercise cals..
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP as set up. I eat between my BMR and TDEE to lose weight, and I don't log exercise or "eat back" the calories from exercise.

If I did it MFP's way, then I guess I would log it...but I don't trust HRMs or other ways to calculate it anyway, and I lose body fat and weight doing it the other way...so why change it? It's how people have lost weight for years and years before MFP was ever invented.

Yep, that's the best way to do it if you exercise at a high intensity. Given how much slosh there is in calculating total calories burned, you're much better off just calculating your RDI based on your level of exercise and using that for your calorie goals.

If you do mostly very low intensity exercise, then you can log exercise and try to add that to your BMR.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't log little things, like a few reps of this or that, or warm up... just my cardio. The numbers HERE on the computer do not matter, what does is true results.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

If I did it MFP's way, then I guess I would log it

^ This right here. While I'm currently in a surplus (bulking), I did the above and I think it's perfectly viable method, and also quite simple since you can just target the same intake daily. If I were using MFP's methods I'd log it and eat back most of the exercise cals..

^^And this here. I've been logging and eating my calories up to this point, with no problem, but in the new year I'm going to use Katch McArdle Method for calculating BMR (which uses body fat % and is more accurate ), multiplying it by my activity factor (which will include exercise 5-6 times per week), and reducing my intake by 20%. I will have a static intake of between 1750-1850 calories. The math is the same if I logged and ate my exercise calories.

It takes away the stress of logging every exercise calorie accurately.
  • Brianthill
    Brianthill Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been logging everything for my first time. This just happens to be the first time I have ever had great results. Based on that I am going to keep logging.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I only log cardio/aerobic activity...so no. I dont log any activity!
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I get to my ideal weight I will eat my exercise calories as I do not want to shrivel up into nothing. lol
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    no i dont , ,,,,one because i get frustrated when i icant log my strength training,,,will ican but it only shows the cardio,,,second im a FOOODIE:love: ,,,i do one of two things over eat beacuse it is says i can or i think about food all day:sick: :embarassed: ...so im just on hear for the support part and i still excerise everyday and eat rt but i dont logg like i used too:frown:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If I don't log my exercises I feel worse. LOL I agree b/c you don't know how many calories you have burned from strength training can be so frustrating. However, I do know I have at least worked and burned calories. I try to just do some cardio 5 days a week to see some calories burned.

GOOD LUCK!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If I don't log my exercises I feel worse. LOL I agree b/c you don't know how many calories you have burned from strength training can be so frustrating. However, I do know I have at least worked and burned calories. I try to just do some cardio 5 days a week to see some calories burned.

GOOD LUCK!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise here because I wear a Bodymedia Fit so I have another way to track my calorie burn. I can't say enough how much I love it because I never have to wonder how much I burn lifting weights or going grocery shopping or cleaning house or even SLEEPING...it tracks it all for me around the clock & gives me the total for the day, which is all I care about anyway. I track it against my total intake from my food diary here to calculate my daily deficit in a spreadsheet.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I usually log it AFTER I complete my day.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I log mine but change the calories burned to one. Eating calories back do not work for me.
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I only log my planned exercise...if I have to guess, I usually don't log it. I don't log any strength training...and I do that 3x per week for about an hour.

I also try to eat back most of my calories...I'm usually a couple hundred short when my burn is 600 or more...but the rest of the time, I'm pretty close. Trying to do better with eating all of them back....it's hard though!