Christmas dinner made from a box...

Options
124»

Replies

• LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Put things in perspective.
    Be thankkful you have family to spend Chistmas with.
    When people offer you their hospitality don't judge.
    Eat a little bit of everything and you'll probably be able to keep in caloric budget

Awesome
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bring a side dish or two...that's what I do. :)
    I offered and they said they "dont really need anything" ..... O.O

At thanksgiving I ate only turkey and veggies and went to my moms for dessert but I ended up almost having a whole thanksgiving dinner when I got there... I wanted real food, haha. I only went over 100cals for the day, so it wasn't bad but meh.

I understand everyone has their traditions, everyone has their own way of doing holiday dinners but I was really hoping they would step it up a little... :/ They talk about health all the time but they never look at their food choices. They're not fat but the food they eat is crap...

People who aren't into eating well don't want to be lectured, just like you would not want to be lectured about whatever your bad habits are. If you're going to their house, eat in moderation and just enjoy it.

Now who's lecturing? SHE is a member of this site not her in laws. We're supposed to be supporting HER, sheesh! :noway:

Lemme get this straight. Me saying that it's rude to go to someone else's house and get upset over THEIR food choices in THEIR home that THEY paid for and THEY prepared is unsupportive? Mmmm kay.

The OP is going to someone else's home for dinner. Portion control and bringing a dish are two great options (already discussed in detail above). Going there and getting upset about what is prepared is not. It's not her home. It's her in-laws home.

Yes
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Alas, the social eating situation. I feel your pain- mostly because I have other issues like no gluten, dairy, soy, or beef! heheehhe

Eat before you go- a handful of almonds and an apple to tide you over
    Eat the protein and veggies
    Bring something of your own you know you can eat like a yummy salad or a fruit or veggie platter!

In the end, enjoy! It's just one meal out of many!
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Different families are so hard. Well sometimes even in our own families it can be hard. My family is very judgmental about how I cook because I make stuffing and such without meat. It is very hard for me to eat at other people's homes because I don't eat stuff with chicken broth or anything like that. I would eat before, bring something you can eat and just try to have fun. That is what I do. If you bring something fun I wouldn't be offended. People say "we got it covered" a lot but I don't think most are upset if you show up with something cool. No green jello with marshmallows. :) I am kidding. Good luck.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's one day out of 365. Bring a healthy dish and enjoy the company!

This. If they "don't need any" other sides, bring a fruit tray for dessert. Yummy yummy strawberries, blueberries, melon, grapes... :love: Or slice up some apples, store them with some lemon water so they don't brown, and bring a caramel dip. They have lowfat ones, or the regular and use a tiny amount. Or skip the dip all together, but bringing it looks more like "I brought dessert" than "I brought something healthy."
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bring a side dish or two...that's what I do. :)
    I offered and they said they "dont really need anything" ..... O.O

At thanksgiving I ate only turkey and veggies and went to my moms for dessert but I ended up almost having a whole thanksgiving dinner when I got there... I wanted real food, haha. I only went over 100cals for the day, so it wasn't bad but meh.

I understand everyone has their traditions, everyone has their own way of doing holiday dinners but I was really hoping they would step it up a little... :/ They talk about health all the time but they never look at their food choices. They're not fat but the food they eat is crap...

People who aren't into eating well don't want to be lectured, just like you would not want to be lectured about whatever your bad habits are. If you're going to their house, eat in moderation and just enjoy it.

I agree. The holidays are to spend with family and enjoy having that family. Eat in moderation and have fun!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's just one day. Don't risk hurt feelings by forcefully bringing something (it will be too obvious that you don't think much of their cooking if they've mentioned they don't need anything) or mentioning ANYTHING about the healthiness of the meal. Just eat in moderation and have fun.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least you don't have to deal with 8 nights of fried latkes and Sufganiyot.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least you don't have to deal with 8 nights of fried latkes and Sufganiyot.
    Mmm latkes. *makes grocery list including 8 tons of potatoes*
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Put things in perspective.
    Be thankkful you have family to spend Chistmas with.
    When people offer you their hospitality don't judge.
    Eat a little bit of everything and you'll probably be able to keep in caloric budget

I like this! However, I wouldn't say eat a bit of everything, I'd say eat a little turkey and veggies and call it a day.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it. But bring a salad and a veggie dish.
  • honor82
    Options
    I will be having christmas dinner at the in-laws and, to say the least, they are not a cooking, healthy food family.
    I'm 110% positive that this will be whats for dinner:
    -Pre-cooked/pre seasoned butterball turkey that was thrown into the crock pot for a couple hours.
    -Stove top stuffing
    -minimal veggies (I'm talking, like quarter cup per person)
    -pillsbury flaky rolls
    -betty crocker boxed mashed potatoes

So... what the hell do I do with a dinner like that??

Sounds pretty dang good to me. :laugh:

Maybe offer to help make the stuffing or mashed potatoes.