Scary

Options
So my Mom. Brother and I were having a "health" conversation and my mom brought up that she heard on a tv show/magazine/the web (I dont remember which one she said) that sugar (in excessive amounts) is like glass in your veins :(. It definitely made me question the sweets I have consumed in my life and what my veins would look like if I could look in them. I'm a sweet-freak so I'm a tad nervous to even think about it.

Anyone else ever heard this or something similar to it?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The grains of sugar don't actually travel through your veins.

Unless you're mainlining it I guess.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am of the school that sugar in the form that most people consume it these days (overly processed foods, added sugar in everything, etc) might as well be the same as smoking meth or shooting heroin. Most people can't even seem to go a day or 2 without sugar and feel like crap when they do. I've known people that have had to go off of perscription painkillers, and have also ditched sugar. They say that the withdrawl symptoms are very similar feeling...that's more than enough to convince me even without reading tons of research on sugar wreaking havoc on the human body...it's not just killing diabetics, it hurts everyone to some degree.
  • Hornet4Life
    Options
    The grains of sugar don't actually travel through your veins.

Unless you're mainlining it I guess.

I know that, haha. It was more so comparing it like glass in your veins if you consume it in excess amounts. Similar to atherosclerosis and the harm that it causes to your veins and body.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    In crystalline form, I suppose you could compare silica sand to table sugar...but nothing as large as a single crystal of sugar will actually make it into your vasculature
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    So my Mom. Brother and I were having a "health" conversation and my mom brought up that she heard on a tv show/magazine/the web (I dont remember which one she said) that sugar (in excessive amounts) is like glass in your veins :(.
    Google reveals that Dr. Oz said this on Oprah once.

banging_head.gif
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    :noway: Are you for real?! :huh:
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

banging_head.gif

I knew it
  • Hornet4Life
    Options
    So my Mom. Brother and I were having a "health" conversation and my mom brought up that she heard on a tv show/magazine/the web (I dont remember which one she said) that sugar (in excessive amounts) is like glass in your veins :(.

banging_head.gif

YAY! Thanks for looking that up! I believed her but just didn't know what site or who to quote! :)
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A health magazine I read said that sugar is just as addictive as many illegal drugs! Now that really made me stop and think!
    I limit my sugar intake and use stevia instead. I avoid diet soda because it gives me aches and pains.

I suppose the moral is, if you can, monitor your sugar intake!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Ok, all foods that you eat are broken down into simple sugar in order for the body to use it for energy. However I also agree that ( we) consume way too much processed foods. I mean they taste sooo good dont they. I also believe that Starbucks is addictive, so what do I know.
  • sjohnny
    Options

When I first read this post I thought it sounded like something that DB would say.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    A health magazine I read said that sugar is just as addictive as many illegal drugs! Now that really made me stop and think!
    I limit my sugar intake and use stevia instead. I avoid diet soda because it gives me aches and pains.

I suppose the moral is, if you can, monitor your sugar intake!

I heard water is as addictive to heroin too. Withdrawal symptoms can get pretty severe, leading to coma and death!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    YAY! Thanks for looking that up! I believed her but just didn't know what site or who to quote! :)
    Some examples of poor advice/info that Dr. Oz has provided in the past...

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/when-oz-met-novella/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/dr-oz-youre-not-helping-diabetics/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/dr-oz-and-john-edward-just-when-i-thought-dr-oz-couldnt-go-any-lower-he-proves-me-wrong/

http://www.randi.org/site/jref-news/1260-pigasus-2011

The Media Pigasus Award goes to Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling.
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/02/dr_ozs_journey_to_the_dark_side_is_now_complete.php

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/dr-oz-promotes-homeopathy/

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2005/02/11/Top-US-doc-respectful-of-John-of-God/UPI-29081108131069/

It's best to take any advice he has given with a grain of salt. Do your due diligence and investigate other sources for validation of anything that he has said.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

It's best to take any advice he has given with a grain of salt. Do your due diligence and investigate other sources for validation of anything that he has said.

I cannot find a "grain" of salt in the db. Does anyone know how much sodium is in that?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

banging_head.gif
    snap-out.gif If Dr. Oz said it then it just has to be true and accurate. It's not like he has ever been involved in controversy before. :tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_oz#Controversy
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Doctor Oz says it, so it must be true.... listen to the dripping sarcasm in my voice....

Eating tons of refined sugar isn't great for you, obviously, but Dr. Oz in general likes to basically start mass nutritional panic with claims that barely pass the laugh test.

If he was a better doctor, don't you think he'd spend more time practicing medicine? Instead he goes around making fantastic claims to generate publicity. HACK!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I cannot find a "grain" of salt in the db. Does anyone know how much sodium is in that?
    :laugh:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

You give him too much credit. I'd suggest fist fulls of salt.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

You give him too much credit. I'd suggest fist fulls of salt.

Idk...sometimes fisting is painful
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Of course grains of salt are exactly the same as broken lightbulbs in your colon.

I didn't realize the guy was actually giving out bad info. I could never stand watching him just because I think he's a douche.