Scary

Options

Replies

• italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should drink a bunch and find out!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

You give him too much credit. I'd suggest fist fulls of salt.

Idk...sometimes fisting is painful

Oh god, especially if there is salt! OW!
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    banging_head.gif

I just like this pic
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    So my Mom. Brother and I were having a "health" conversation and my mom brought up that she heard on a tv show/magazine/the web (I dont remember which one she said) that sugar (in excessive amounts) is like glass in your veins :(. It definitely made me question the sweets I have consumed in my life and what my veins would look like if I could look in them. I'm a sweet-freak so I'm a tad nervous to even think about it.

Anyone else ever heard this or something similar to it?
    It's absurd; however, sugar is bad on a number of other levels.
  • cottonpunk
    cottonpunk Posts: 12 Member
    Options

It's best to take any advice he has given with a grain of salt. Do your due diligence and investigate other sources for validation of anything that he has said.

I cannot find a "grain" of salt in the db. Does anyone know how much sodium is in that?

A grain is approximately 65 mg. That's a lot of salt! Wouldn't advise that, either ! ;-)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    banging_head.gif

I just like this pic
    I like this one of Edmund Blackadder.
    blackadder-headdesk-o.gif
  • cottonpunk
    cottonpunk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    YAY! Thanks for looking that up! I believed her but just didn't know what site or who to quote! :)
    Some examples of poor advice/info that Dr. Oz has provided in the past...

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/when-oz-met-novella/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/dr-oz-youre-not-helping-diabetics/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/dr-oz-and-john-edward-just-when-i-thought-dr-oz-couldnt-go-any-lower-he-proves-me-wrong/

http://www.randi.org/site/jref-news/1260-pigasus-2011

The Media Pigasus Award goes to Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling.
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/02/dr_ozs_journey_to_the_dark_side_is_now_complete.php

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/dr-oz-promotes-homeopathy/

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2005/02/11/Top-US-doc-respectful-of-John-of-God/UPI-29081108131069/

It's best to take any advice he has given with a grain of salt. Do your due diligence and investigate other sources for validation of anything that he has said.

Thank you! I'm in healthcare and I cringe every time I hear a patient say, "Dr. Oz says....."
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I cannot find a "grain" of salt in the db. Does anyone know how much sodium is in that?
    A grain is approximately 65 mg. That's a lot of salt! Wouldn't advise that, either ! ;-)

Table salt? Kosher? or sea salt? Coarse or fine ground? And which is healthiest for me?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Thank you! I'm in healthcare and I cringe every time I hear a patient say, "Dr. Oz says....."

But I read on WebMD that watching Dr. Oz can lower your cholesterol...
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    So my Mom. Brother and I were having a "health" conversation and my mom brought up that she heard on a tv show/magazine/the web (I dont remember which one she said) that sugar (in excessive amounts) is like glass in your veins :(. It definitely made me question the sweets I have consumed in my life and what my veins would look like if I could look in them. I'm a sweet-freak so I'm a tad nervous to even think about it.

Anyone else ever heard this or something similar to it?

If that was true, I'd look like an ice sculpture!! :bigsmile:
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I always roll my eyes at the whole "sugar is just as hard to kick as heroin" statements, too.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Roll your eyes if you want, but for some people it's just like a drug. I've seen people try to cut out sugar only to scarfing down a bag of cookies or something later the same day. a friend of mine's wife couldn't even go 2 days without buying junk food and hiding it in her car to eat when she left the house.

Granted, some of that is just personal willpower, but some people find it physically very difficult to part with certain types of food, especially sweets.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Roll your eyes if you want, but for some people it's just like a drug. I've seen people try to cut out sugar only to scarfing down a bag of cookies or something later the same day. a friend of mine's wife couldn't even go 2 days without buying junk food and hiding it in her car to eat when she left the house.

Granted, some of that is just personal willpower, but some people find it physically very difficult to part with certain types of food, especially sweets.

For some people shopping is just like a drug. What's your point?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    What the heck does "Glass in your veins" mean?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I know a guy that has glass for veins.

photo_06_hires.jpg
  • nikki91950
    Options
    A health magazine I read said that sugar is just as addictive as many illegal drugs! Now that really made me stop and think!
    I limit my sugar intake and use stevia instead. I avoid diet soda because it gives me aches and pains.

I suppose the moral is, if you can, monitor your sugar intake!

I heard water is as addictive to heroin too. Withdrawal symptoms can get pretty severe, leading to coma and death!

*bows* win!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Shopping is just as hard to kick as sugar.

Smack is a cakewalk in comparison.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I know a guy that has glass for veins.

photo_06_hires.jpg

Maybe eating sugar would help that guy's veins.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A health magazine I read said that sugar is just as addictive as many illegal drugs! Now that really made me stop and think!
    I limit my sugar intake and use stevia instead. I avoid diet soda because it gives me aches and pains.

I suppose the moral is, if you can, monitor your sugar intake!

I heard water is as addictive to heroin too. Withdrawal symptoms can get pretty severe, leading to coma and death!

Exactly.
  • biochick2004
    Options
    Too much sugar isn't healthy, just like too much fat or too much of just about anything isn't healthy. The biggest problem with refined sugar is that people eat way too much of it, and eat it in processed junk foods that also contain tons of fat, salt, and preservatives. Technically, sugar may have some addictive properties like drugs. But that can be said for lots of things that we consume (sugar, caffiene, etc.).

Going straight to panic mode and cutting out an entire food category completely ususally does more harm than good. THAT is one reason why people who cut out sugar may binge on cookies later, they feel deprived and crave them. A big part of this is psychological.

And as others said, always verify with a couple of sources when you hear nutrition info on TV.