higher protein menus

can anyone share with me some meal ideas for higher protein menus, I am lactose intolerant so dairy doesnt really help! thanks

Replies

• meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    At the moment i am eating- yoghurt for breaky (not that that will help u)
    lunch- 2 eggs and ham/bacon
    dinner- white fish/chicken with herbs/spices
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

also nuts are high protein but also high fat
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,186 Member
    Chicken, turkey, fish... Checkout my diary, should be open, I eat a fair amount of protein :)
  • If you like beans they are high in protein. I'm making a bean soup with some veggies for breakfast. My own version.
  • well so far today I am very happy eating more protein! I had baked beans and scrambled egg for breakfast and just ate a tuna sandwich, but to be honest was not hungry but thought well its lunch so I should eat! definately need to sort out breakfast tho cos I am not a breaky person and eating beans and egg was a bit urghhh

not being hungry is new to me
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

But its a good a fat, which is good for your diet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    fish, chicken, beef, pork.
    beans, seeds, nuts.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 856 Member
    if you arent loving eggs and beans for breakfast, try peanut butter on whole grain toast or a protein shake, you can mix them with water or i use unsweetened almond milk (non dairy, 35 cals)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I do NOT recommend nuts for protein. Not a bad snack, and I love nuts, but it's the last thing I grab if my aim is a cal-efficient source of protein.

Hmmm lactose intolerant - I might be wrong, but aren't cheeses and yogurt pretty safe - I once read somewhere (but you should confirm for yourself) that the bacteria in the cheese/yogurt process the lactose so it's not really there anymore..

If you CAN have cheese and yogurt, then I would recommend greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and other kinds of cheeses (low fat cottage cheese is low cal so it's a great source on a cal restriction, but other cheeses are higher in calories so make sure you have wiggle room in your day).

If you can't have ANY dairy, then fish (and salmon is great because it's high in omega 3s!), poultry, beef, basically any meat, egg whites, beans, lentils :)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    can you handle yogurt? my hubby is lactose intolerant but can eat yogurt with minimal discomfort. i like greek yogurt!
  • servilia
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

Still not a cal efficient source of protein.
    1/3 cup of almonds = ONLY 6 g of protein for 180 cals. Still better than no protein, but if my aim is specifically higher protein nuts are not what I would grab.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 352 Member
    well so far today I am very happy eating more protein! I had baked beans and scrambled egg for breakfast and just ate a tuna sandwich, but to be honest was not hungry but thought well its lunch so I should eat! definately need to sort out breakfast tho cos I am not a breaky person and eating beans and egg was a bit urghhh

not being hungry is new to me

The beans is what filled you up at breakfast, since you are not much of a Brkfst eater try just a small omelett with mushrooms, tomotoe......if you are not hungry for lunch have something small, break your food down into 5 - 6 mini meals if that would help.
  • jacksonpt
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

1/3 cup of almonds = ONLY 6 g of protein for 180 cals. Still better than no protein, but if my aim is specifically higher protein nuts are not what I would grab.

Yes, you've made your point... nuts/seeds/beans are not high protein/low cal... we get it. The OP never asked about that, only about high protein. Clearly the most efficient way to get protein is through a whey isolate, but all the other suggestions are just that... suggestions. She can take what she wants and figure out which options fit best in her diet.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 352 Member
    if you arent loving eggs and beans for breakfast, try peanut butter on whole grain toast or a protein shake, you can mix them with water or i use unsweetened almond milk (non dairy, 35 cals)

yes completely forgot about the peanut butter yummy..... I use Jillian Michaels Protein Powder for a shake and mix it with 1 Tblsp. of peanut butter ( I use smart balance or skippy creamy 25% less fat ) Peanut Butter fills you also.......
  • servilia
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

Yes, you've made your point... nuts/seeds/beans are not high protein/low cal... we get it. The OP never asked about that, only about high protein. Clearly the most efficient way to get protein is through a whey isolate, but all the other suggestions are just that... suggestions. She can take what she wants and figure out which options fit best in her diet.

"High protein" is relative - high for what? What is the other variable? For people on a cal restriction, it's calories. So no, nuts are NOT a high protein source.
    Just dispelling a myth.
  • Ok to let you all know my full history, I have been unable to tolerate dairy, following gallbladder surgery about 4 years ago, it took along time to work out what the problem was so generally I am nervous of trying anything termed as dairy but think I could tolerate more than I have tried!

I have gone from 218 down to 162 ish pounds using calories, however I suffer chronic mouth ulcers, I dont mean small ones I mean as big as ya finger nail and three or four at a time! so then I cant eat, these have always been in my history but have been worse since the weight loss. and to be honest when its been four months since I can kiss my husband they are really getting me down. I have also lost a lot of thickness to my hair.

On starting to use this site I have seen that mfp sets a target of 15% but that I generally only hit about 7% so looked into protein, as a regular runner they said it should be higher still, so hence the reason I want to up the protein as I have found that lack of protein can be a cause of mmouth ulcers and hair loss, so all help would be great
  • jacksonpt
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

"High protein" is relative - high for what? What is the other variable? For people on a cal restriction, it's calories. So no, nuts are NOT a high protein source.
    Just dispelling a myth.

True, it is all relative... high protein compared to what? Compared to OTHER PROTEIN!!!! Other macros have nothing to do with whether or not a food is high protein. The question of high protein is about PROTEIN! When discussing protein content, protein numbers are all that matters. YOU are the one introducing another variable, and in doing so, you are complicating the matter. The OP never asked about fat.

And dispelling a myth??? WTF are you talking about? Nuts ARE a high protein source. Just because they are also high in fat and calories doesn't mean they aren't also high in protein! It's not an either or... they are not mutually exclusive.
  • I went to look at protein shakes today but there were so many I was not sure what to buy lol so came out empty handed:blushing:
  • If you like beans they are high in protein. I'm making a bean soup with some veggies for breakfast. My own version.
    Love to get the recipe I love beans!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    This will reflect my veggie leanings:

edamame (green soybeans)
    beans & lentils
    nuts & seeds
    nut butters
    green leafy vegetables, like kale, collards & spinach
    green peas
    soymilk
    tofu
    soy yogurt
    tempeh (fermented soybeans)
    meat substitutes (such as Morningstar Farms, Gardein, Yves, etc)
    seitan (meat substitute made from wheat)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Great Sources of Protein

1.Whey Isolate and protein powders
    2. chicken
    3. lean beef
    4. tuna fish
    5. egg substitute or eggs
    6. Tempeh
    7. Quinoa
    8. Almond and Peanut butter