higher protein menus

2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    At the moment i am eating- yoghurt for breaky (not that that will help u)
    lunch- 2 eggs and ham/bacon
    dinner- white fish/chicken with herbs/spices
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

also nuts are high protein but also high fat

Yogurt is fine for lactose intolerant people, because yogurt doesn't really have lactose in it. The bacteria responsible for making yogurt break the lactose down during the yogurt making process.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    I went to look at protein shakes today but there were so many I was not sure what to buy lol so came out empty handed:blushing:

Stay with a trusted brand that has been around a bit..

Gaspari, TruNutrition, ON, Xtreme Formulations, iForce.

ON and Gaspari will be the easiest to find.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I went to look at protein shakes today but there were so many I was not sure what to buy lol so came out empty handed:blushing:

Do you have a body building store in town... some place that sells lifting equipment (gyms, weights, dumbells, etc) in addition to supplements? If so, go in and tell them you are looking to add whey protein to your diet and ask if they have any samples. My local place is great about giving out samples and is a good way to try new products/flavors.

If that fails, you can always fall back on a place like GNC or Vitamin World. They aren't the cheapest, but you can go in and ask them to recommend a whey protein that tastes decent. Get the smallest container they have and give it a shot. I assume you'll be mixing it with water as opposed to milk, so be prepared that none are going to taste great, but some will taste better than others.
  • d2footballJRC

Do you have a body building store in town... some place that sells lifting equipment (gyms, weights, dumbells, etc) in addition to supplements? If so, go in and tell them you are looking to add whey protein to your diet and ask if they have any samples. My local place is great about giving out samples and is a good way to try new products/flavors.

If that fails, you can always fall back on a place like GNC or Vitamin World. They aren't the cheapest, but you can go in and ask them to recommend a whey protein that tastes decent. Get the smallest container they have and give it a shot. I assume you'll be mixing it with water as opposed to milk, so be prepared that none are going to taste great, but some will taste better than others.

Good idea or you can order/request samples online. Gaspari gives out samples, TruNutrition you can buy samples for $1.99, XF you can request samples, iForce will be having samples soon they said.. ON I'm not sure but GNC and VitaminShoppe carry it and probably have samples.

XF and TruNutrition are considered the best tasting protein shakes but they are higher priced then the others. Gaspari makes some nice flavors.. (Chocolate Banana and Chocolate Peanutbutter rock!)
  • Don't forget hummus - with red peppers yum! Great source of protein
  • oooooh I love humus
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

But its a good a fat, which is good for your diet.

Still not a cal efficient source of protein.
    1/3 cup of almonds = ONLY 6 g of protein for 180 cals. Still better than no protein, but if my aim is specifically higher protein nuts are not what I would grab.

Yes, you've made your point... nuts/seeds/beans are not high protein/low cal... we get it. The OP never asked about that, only about high protein. Clearly the most efficient way to get protein is through a whey isolate, but all the other suggestions are just that... suggestions. She can take what she wants and figure out which options fit best in her diet.

"High protein" is relative - high for what? What is the other variable? For people on a cal restriction, it's calories. So no, nuts are NOT a high protein source.
    Just dispelling a myth.

True, it is all relative... high protein compared to what? Compared to OTHER PROTEIN!!!! Other macros have nothing to do with whether or not a food is high protein. The question of high protein is about PROTEIN! When discussing protein content, protein numbers are all that matters. YOU are the one introducing another variable, and in doing so, you are complicating the matter. The OP never asked about fat.

And dispelling a myth??? WTF are you talking about? Nuts ARE a high protein source. Just because they are also high in fat and calories doesn't mean they aren't also high in protein! It's not an either or... they are not mutually exclusive.

FACEPALM by the way I don't appreciate your "WTF" - wash your dirty mouth out. No need to resort to that.
    Calories don't matter to someone trying to lose weight? Nuts are NOT a high protein source - unless you have an unlimited calorie goal.
    To get my 100 g of protein from almonds I'd have to consume 3000 calories worth of almonds!

I'm sorry you're not getting it.
  • oh no I caused an argument - sorry guys:cry:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    oh no I caused an argument - sorry guys:cry:

Don't worry about it - some guys get off by arguing with and cussing out women.

Carry on!

ps I love salmon for high protein :)
  • d2footballJRC

FACEPALM by the way I don't appreciate your "WTF" - wash your dirty mouth out. No need to resort to that.
    Calories don't matter to someone trying to lose weight? Nuts are NOT a high protein source - unless you have an unlimited calorie goal.
    To get my 100 g of protein from almonds I'd have to consume 3000 calories worth of almonds!

Now on the flip side.. if someone needs a snack, nuts offer them protein when a lot of snacks wouldn't. So nuts aren't a good primary food for protein they are a great snack that provides protein and some healthy fats. Nuts are also very filling for a food and make a snack that you don't have to have a ton to feel full. Nuts are a great food for someone on a diet trying to lose weight as a snack.
  • jacksonpt
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

1/3 cup of almonds = ONLY 6 g of protein for 180 cals. Still better than no protein, but if my aim is specifically higher protein nuts are not what I would grab.

Yes, you've made your point... nuts/seeds/beans are not high protein/low cal... we get it. The OP never asked about that, only about high protein. Clearly the most efficient way to get protein is through a whey isolate, but all the other suggestions are just that... suggestions. She can take what she wants and figure out which options fit best in her diet.

"High protein" is relative - high for what? What is the other variable? For people on a cal restriction, it's calories. So no, nuts are NOT a high protein source.
    Just dispelling a myth.

True, it is all relative... high protein compared to what? Compared to OTHER PROTEIN!!!! Other macros have nothing to do with whether or not a food is high protein. The question of high protein is about PROTEIN! When discussing protein content, protein numbers are all that matters. YOU are the one introducing another variable, and in doing so, you are complicating the matter. The OP never asked about fat.

And dispelling a myth??? WTF are you talking about? Nuts ARE a high protein source. Just because they are also high in fat and calories doesn't mean they aren't also high in protein! It's not an either or... they are not mutually exclusive.

No, you're not getting it! No one asked about calorie content, only protein content. I do understand your point... nuts are a calorie dense food... I'm not arguing that fact. They are (or at least can be, depending on what type of nut you choose. Same with legumes for that matter) a high protein food though because they do in fact have above average amounts of protein... which, ironically enough, just so happens to be what the OP asked about.

And who the hell is eating 100g of protein in nuts??? That's just a stupid point to make. No one asked or suggested that the OP get all her protein from one source.
  • jacksonpt
    oh no I caused an argument - sorry guys:cry:
    Don't worry about it - some guys get off by arguing with and cussing out women.

And some people simply like to help out, answer questions and offer good advice.
  • I am greatfull for all contributions x :happy:
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Hemp Hearts - Great in smoothies, on salads, or mixed in with cooking. For 30g serving there is 10g protein plus other good stuff
    Spirulina - Listing it since it hasn't been already mentioned. I only like it in green smoothies
    Bison - Very lean, lower cholesterol and higher iron then beef. We use it as a direct replacement in lots of recipes. Easier to obtain in NA as they are native here, but it should be available in the UK (quickly confirmed with google).
  • whats hemp hearts - never heard that before?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    snacks-tuna and yoghurt

Just dispelling a myth.

Have you ever heard of balance? Using the "all or nothing" argument is the ultimate straw man.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Not sure why they are called Hemp Hearts, but they are really just hulled Hemp Seeds. The Manitoba Harvest brand is available in NA and has a lot of good information on their website.