Running Outside vs Running on a Treadmill

Options
13»

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be drug behind a car than subject myself to the "dreadmill".
    BORING!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    happens to me, I can go further longer outside, but I think it is because treadmill is boring. Outside you are looking at the terrain, other people, etc....time flies when you're having fun, you know
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Running outside makes the time go by quicker because you are actually going somewhere and scenery. Since I don't run outside when it's cold or dark the treadmill will have to suffice. Treadmill is easier on your joints but it's helpful to make it challenging w/ intervals/inclines like you are outdoors.
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES! I run at a 2.0-2.5 incline on the treadmill, but I can run faster outside too!
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Interval running/walking/jogging is the best way to make the time go by on the treadmill. You are running in little 3-5 min spurts and you have to pay attention to the treadmill.

It makes my runs go by so quickly. But I actually like the treadmill more than outside. But I have a dog that would really really love to run with me so I need to get outside!!!!

It's also so hard to run outside in the cold. My throat closes up and I cough for like 2 hours afterwards.

Now if I could just get myself to the gym more often.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me. I've been frustrated because I can run an 5k in a 5mph pace, but I struggle with that same pace on a treadmill! I eventually have to put the incline to 0 (I start at 1 to try and account for hills outside) and even take a short break every mile to keep the pace.
    I can't wait to run outside again!
  • 5SpeedRunning
    Options
    I agree with the interval training if you have to do the treadmill. Also treadmill training can take the pounding off the legs while still working stamina, threshold, strength, and speed.

Here are some good stamina, threshold, strength, and speed workouts. Readers who do not know their specific training paces, this tool will help you.

Personalized Workout Calculator >>>> http://www.freerunningcalculator.com

Coach Ken at 5 Speed Running