Eggs? Yay or nay?

Options
I have been eating boiled egg and toast as a healthy meal option, but I've read in some places that you're only supposed to have one egg a week due to it's levels of cholesterol? Yet when I attempt to do more in-depth research, I read things that say this isn't true.

Now I'm confused and turning to you for advice. What do you think about this?

Replies

• sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's good cholesterol, so eat away. I usually eat 4-5 boiled eggs in one sitting and need to do it more often.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    the yolk of an egg has a ton of cholesterol in it - you will find varying opinions about the cholesterol in it and how it effects your body - but unless you have a predisposing cholesterol issue, it generally is ok to eat the yolks

personally I get rid of the yolks cause I'm just not a huge fan and I like eggwhites - and I think everything should be put into your body in moderation, so even though physiologically your body can deal with high consumed amounts of cholesterol I like to just chuck the yolks out

the whites are pure albumin - which is very good for you!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I eat one every morning. Sometimes I switch it up with 2 egg whites, but usually an egg with yolk.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Eggs= Yay!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a great source of protein! As for cholesterol, healthy eating and exercising helps to fight against the negative effects. Besides, you're not eating 6 eggs everyday! So, enjoy!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    one egg/week? dear lord, i could never do that *LOL*

i eat eggs like they're going out of style. My cholesterol is 101.

i also eat broccoli. :)
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Eggs are very beneficial and studies show they help you lose weight.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options

^ This
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

This has me concerned.
  • youarewhatyoueat86
    Options
    Egg whites are best, but I usually eat the whole egg. I've never heard anything negative like this as far as an "egg limit" so I'd say it's not true.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 pastured/non-grain fed eggs daily. My cholesterol is very good. I eat the yolks of course as well as the whites. The egg is a super food from yolk and whites to the shell itself which contains over 27 essential minerals to include calcium.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg every morning.. one "fried" egg with the yolk broken with black pepper and tarragon over a piece of toast.. oh yes. :
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have an egg allergy, don't give them up, eat them, they are not awful.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

This has me concerned.

You're concerned about my *kitten* aren't you :ohwell:
  • BWitch9
    Options
    I'm doing a program through my doctor and he highly recommends that I eat them or oatmeal for breakfast every morning and that hard boiled eggs make a great protein rich snack. The fat in them helps slow the absorption of the carbs you eat. Have you had your cholesterol checked? If you're worried, stay away from the yoke. Otherwise, it makes a much better choice than many out there!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    It's not true.

Unless you have a pre-existing condition regarding cholesterol and your doctor tells you to limit your intake, eggs are a great source of protein and versatile.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in eggs is good for you. I usually have 4-6 a week :)
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was slightly raised earlier this year. Nothing to get worried about but I didn't want it any higher. i gave up cheese for 3 weeks and had eggs instead. Cholesterol was down to 4.6 in just that short time. Not the most scientific of experiments, but it worked for me!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Eggs are YAY!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's good cholesterol, so eat away. I usually eat 4-5 boiled eggs in one sitting and need to do it more often.

Please explain the difference between "good" and "bad" dietary cholesterol.