Eggs? Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 pastured/non-grain fed eggs daily. My cholesterol is very good. I eat the yolks of course as well as the whites. The egg is a super food from yolk and whites to the shell itself which contains over 27 essential minerals to include calcium.
    I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I am planning on doing tough mudder 2013!!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yea and nay -- lol
    Eggs are high calorie, and yet eggs are filled with nutrition. Obese people seeking to lose weight need consume only in moderation.

I eat 4 white to one whole egg, and that grants the nutritional benefits without blowing my calories.
    And beware the egg deists who think eggs in great quantity are a grand part of any weight loss diet...lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have been eating boiled egg and toast as a healthy meal option, but I've read in some places that you're only supposed to have one egg a week due to it's levels of cholesterol? Yet when I attempt to do more in-depth research, I read things that say this isn't true.

Now I'm confused and turning to you for advice. What do you think about this?
    If you don't have high cholesterol, you don't need to worry about it. If you do, the recommendation is 2 egg yolks a week (egg whites are fine). However, there is a strong school of thought now that eating eggs won't affect cholesterol even if it's high and one study showed that eating eggs actually lowers cholesterol.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Yea and nay -- lol
    Eggs are high calorie, and yet eggs are filled with nutrition. Obese people seeking to lose weight need consume only in moderation.

I eat 4 white to one whole egg, and that grants the nutritional benefits without blowing my calories.
    And beware the egg deists who think eggs in great quantity are a grand part of any weight loss diet...lol

One large egg is 70 calories and very filling. Does something have ot be fewer than 50 calories for you?
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs for breakfast about 4 days per week, basically whenever I don't have yummy dinner meat for leftovers to munch on. I also eat a huge amount of veggies some fresh fruits, and lean proteins every day. As long as eggs are part of a balanced diet that includes some exercise, I see no problem with them. And the yolks are my favorite part; I'd never give them up!
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ah I see, thank you so much! Now I can enjoy my eggs without worrying. :3
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I make them a lot for dinner, they're fast, easy, and yummy. Especially with franks hot sauce.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Half the protein and all the nutrients (including fat) are in the yolk. I eat 4 almost every morning for breakfast and my cholesterol is under 140. It is a super food and much maligned, IMO.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I lurv eggs!! I eat them all the time. They are a great source of protein, and a good base for lots of yummy veggies and such

If you are concern about too much cholesterol, you can do do 50% whole eggs and 50% egg whites.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    One egg a week? I got through two dozen.....a week...sometimes less. I eat about 1 or 2 yolks and 3-4 whites a day (depending on my calories for the day)
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I read you should try to have no more than 2 yokes a DAY but as much whites as you want. Yea to eggs tho, lots of protein!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am particularly fond of scrambled eggs, remind me of when I was a little girl and my daddy made them every Sunday...
    After becoming vegetarian, I used to eat them at least 4 times a week, and that's low for me! :laugh:
    I was concerned about my cholesterol, though I honestly have no clue what mine is. I now eat 1 whole egg and 2 or 3 egg whites. They're so expensive nowadays that I eat Special K Protein Plus as my protein breakfast :sad:

Economy needs to get better before I'll be able to afford that many eggs again :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Years ago the USDA proclaimed that eggs were bad because they have a high amount of cholesterol (for their size). But there was no research done at that time on eggs themselves and there has been little done since. Later research showed that cholesterol in the diet doesn't always raise cholesterol in the blood (this varies person to person). This, and the lack of research on eggs, is why most medical organizations recommend the limitation.

If you do not know how eating cholesterol affects you, it might be a good idea to limit eggs until you find out.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I also would like to add that high cholesterol on its own is only ONE factor in heart disease risk. I have high cholesterol (though my HDL is also very high), but my BP is low to normal and my triglycerides are right on target. Everyone in my family has high cholesterol, but no strokes or heart attacks, including in my 96-year-old grandmother whose cholesterol level WITH MEDS is 300.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I eat carton (12) eggs a day... Im alive n kickin.... Healthy on top of that haha
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    whew! glad I'm reading that eggs are okay, I have a boiled egg to have with my soup for lunch :drinker:
  • Rubey81
    Options
    Eggs are great! Usually my breakfast and sometimes dinner this way a few times a week. Doc says I'm in perfect health. :)

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee417/rubey81/2Eggsforbreakfast.jpg
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I use cage free brown eggs, 3 egg whites with a little egg beater, pica de gallo, chopped up turkey pattie, low fat cheese made as an omelet topped with salsa. Its very filling and has total 28 grams of protein,196 total calories. I like something spicy in the morning.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's good cholesterol, so eat away. I usually eat 4-5 boiled eggs in one sitting and need to do it more often.

Please explain the difference between "good" and "bad" dietary cholesterol.

Check this out : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-interpret-cholesterol-test-results/#axzz1hCELZIKq
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yea and nay -- lol

One large egg is 70 calories and very filling. Does something have ot be fewer than 50 calories for you?
    I need more egg to mix with my veggies making my omelet. 1 egg won't cut it.

4 whites to 1 whole mixed with onions, peppers, garlic and a splash of dill - YUMMY!