Sabotaging with Ice-Cream?

Options

Replies

• aweightymatter
    Options
    I was formerly a huge ice cream junkie as well... I really can't have it in the house, even the sugar-free/fat free/etc. stuff.

However... If you like to eat A WHOLE LOT of something frozen, there is always ARCTIC ZERO. The whole pint is 150 calories and it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or anything. The texture is somewhere between sorbet and ice milk, but you can eat so much of it guilt-free.

Check out their web site to see if they have it near you. It's still expensive so it's not a good habit to pick up, but as a harmless treat I love it.

I wanted to try that stuff but we have nowhere here that carries it. It sucks trying to be healthy without some sort of Whole Foods store! lol. Fortunately our HEB grocery store carries a lot diet specific foods, so I get by!

It's actually better that it's harder to get, probably, because it's like $3 or $4 a pint :( BUT, check the web site because it might be in your area at a regular store. I get it here at a regular local grocery chain (and not even a particularly upscale one), not a Whole Foods or anything.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was formerly a huge ice cream junkie as well... I really can't have it in the house, even the sugar-free/fat free/etc. stuff.

However... If you like to eat A WHOLE LOT of something frozen, there is always ARCTIC ZERO. The whole pint is 150 calories and it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or anything. The texture is somewhere between sorbet and ice milk, but you can eat so much of it guilt-free.

Check out their web site to see if they have it near you. It's still expensive so it's not a good habit to pick up, but as a harmless treat I love it.

I wanted to try that stuff but we have nowhere here that carries it. It sucks trying to be healthy without some sort of Whole Foods store! lol. Fortunately our HEB grocery store carries a lot diet specific foods, so I get by!

It's actually better that it's harder to get, probably, because it's like $3 or $4 a pint :( BUT, check the web site because it might be in your area at a regular store. I get it here at a regular local grocery chain (and not even a particularly upscale one), not a Whole Foods or anything.

for the same price you can get Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs which tastes a billion times better then Artic Zero
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I eat my ice cream and cake and cookies and log every bite.

Experts say that denying yourself treats does not lead to success in weight loss, it just leads to binging later on.

Plus, this is not a diet. It's a lifestyle.

Eat the ice cream. Life's too short not to.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I substiuted my ice cream and sweets with jello and light cool whip. That way I get something sweet without feeling icky

So chemicals and whipped oil?

Fun!
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Umm, I hate to sound completely ignorant but what is Macros???
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

I think I already know the answer :(

:flowerforyou: I think you do.

However, as long as it fits into your calorie goal and your hitting your macros, it's fine! Also, if you actually want to BUILD muscle then you do have to eat at a surplus.

Hitting macros = you're on track. Try to avoid eating it every day, though. That's a lot of sugar and saturated fats! Don't agree with having to eat a surplus in order to build muscle. If you're trying to lose weight, you'll still need to be in a calorie deficit. BUT you're building muscle that will help you burn the fat on your body, so essentially you'll have replaced a lot of your current body fat with muscle in addition to slimming down.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Don't agree with having to eat a surplus in order to build muscle.

So....you don't believe in science and modern medicine?
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    macros are the breakdown of protein, carbs, fats etc, so just a fancy way to say the way your cals are broke down, you do not need to be a nazi about following them to the letter, for the bulk of ppl its the overall cal content that matters for fat loss.Some days I am over or under on certain macros, base it more off how you feel.
  • debussyschild
    Options
    Umm, I hate to sound completely ignorant but what is Macros???

The 3 big macronutrients are carbs, protein, and fat. Lots of people use different ratios of these macronutrients to produce certain results. I use a 40/40/20 ratio i.e. 40% of my daily calories come from carbs, 40% from protein, and 20% from fat. Lots of people use 50/30/20, as well, it just depends on what kind of training you're doing.

Edit to add: this begs the question, what are MICROnutrients? Micronutrients are all the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs on a daily basis. Hope that clears it up for you, never feel silly for asking questions :flowerforyou:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    From burn the fat.com

The Secrets To Gaining Lean Muscle Without The Fat

Just as with a fat loss program, your lean muscle gaining program begins with calories. Most men need 3200-4000 calories to gain lean body weight, more if they're extremely active. If you are average in body weight, or slightly under weight, you'll probably have a maintenance level around 2600-3000, depending on how active you are. This is just a generalization. It's best to use a calorie calculator and pinpoint your exact optimal maintenance level.

Once you calculate your daily maintenance level (referred to as total daily energy expenditure or TDEE in the "calorie Calculators" article), your calorie surplus should only be 10-20% over TDEE. For most men, this is about 400-500 calories above maintenance. This will give you a good starting point. For example, if your TDEE comes out to 3000 calories per day, then you need about 3500 calories per day to gain lean body mass (3000 TDEE + 500 surplus). If you go too much higher, you'll probably gain fat along with the muscle. Keep the surplus, but keep the surplus small because you cannot force feed your way to more muscle mass. Excess calories will always be stored as fat.

Remember that your initial calorie calculations are just a starting point. Any time you change your calories, your metabolism will adjust itself like a thermostat in an attempt to maintain some sort of equilibrium in body weight. Sooner or later, you may need to increase your calories a second time to keep the weight gains coming. This explains why many men gain weight initially on 3200-3600 calories a day, but later need to bump it up to around 4000.

Except for extremely active, extremely large and/or "anabolically enhanced" men, very few need more than 4000 to 4500 calories to gain weight (contrary to the stories you read in the magazines about pro bodybuilders eating 6,000, 8,000 or 10,000 calories a day, etc). Eating more and more calories thinking that you'll keep gaining more muscle doesn't work. You'll just get fat. All you need is that small surplus.

It all starts and ends with calories. Listen: It does not matter what else you do. if you are not eating enough and not getting your calorie surplus, nothing else you do will matter - not your training program, not the specific foods you eat, not the supplements you take - nothing. So don't mess around and don't guess. write yourself a menu and tally up the calories. The get busy with that fork of yours!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost every day- I have lost 13 lbs. As long as it fits into your calories for the day, then there is nothing wrong with having it. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost every day- I have lost 13 lbs. As long as it fits into your calories for the day, then there is nothing wrong with having it. :)

THIS
  • debussyschild
    Options
    Don't agree with having to eat a surplus in order to build muscle.

So....you don't believe in science and modern medicine?

Thanks for taking that line completely out of context. That's not what I meant. For weight loss, you don't eat a surplus of calories. During weight loss, most of the weight training you do is in any effort to 1) build SOME lean muscle (not build excessive mass, like men do) and 2) to maintain current muscle as much as possible. Yes, you need more calories to build mass. I'm not an idiot, thanks :flowerforyou:
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    macros are the breakdown of protein, carbs, fats etc, so just a fancy way to say the way your cals are broke down, you do not need to be a nazi about following them to the letter, for the bulk of ppl its the overall cal content that matters for fat loss.Some days I am over or under on certain macros, base it more off how you feel.

Thanks!
  • debussyschild
    Options
    From burn the fat.com

The Secrets To Gaining Lean Muscle Without The Fat

Just as with a fat loss program, your lean muscle gaining program begins with calories. Most men need 3200-4000 calories to gain lean body weight, more if they're extremely active. If you are average in body weight, or slightly under weight, you'll probably have a maintenance level around 2600-3000, depending on how active you are. This is just a generalization. It's best to use a calorie calculator and pinpoint your exact optimal maintenance level.

Once you calculate your daily maintenance level (referred to as total daily energy expenditure or TDEE in the "calorie Calculators" article), your calorie surplus should only be 10-20% over TDEE. For most men, this is about 400-500 calories above maintenance. This will give you a good starting point. For example, if your TDEE comes out to 3000 calories per day, then you need about 3500 calories per day to gain lean body mass (3000 TDEE + 500 surplus). If you go too much higher, you'll probably gain fat along with the muscle. Keep the surplus, but keep the surplus small because you cannot force feed your way to more muscle mass. Excess calories will always be stored as fat.

Remember that your initial calorie calculations are just a starting point. Any time you change your calories, your metabolism will adjust itself like a thermostat in an attempt to maintain some sort of equilibrium in body weight. Sooner or later, you may need to increase your calories a second time to keep the weight gains coming. This explains why many men gain weight initially on 3200-3600 calories a day, but later need to bump it up to around 4000.

Except for extremely active, extremely large and/or "anabolically enhanced" men, very few need more than 4000 to 4500 calories to gain weight (contrary to the stories you read in the magazines about pro bodybuilders eating 6,000, 8,000 or 10,000 calories a day, etc). Eating more and more calories thinking that you'll keep gaining more muscle doesn't work. You'll just get fat. All you need is that small surplus.

It all starts and ends with calories. Listen: It does not matter what else you do. if you are not eating enough and not getting your calorie surplus, nothing else you do will matter - not your training program, not the specific foods you eat, not the supplements you take - nothing. So don't mess around and don't guess. write yourself a menu and tally up the calories. The get busy with that fork of yours!

This is a great article on how to BUILD MASS, not about losing weight while maintaining current lean muscle tissue.
  • debussyschild
    Options

THIS

Generally, I agree with this. Hitting your calorie goal is what is most important, so when I eat ice cream or give myself treats, I try to keep it on the lite side as much as possible. After all, skinny cow ice cream still has calcium in it! LOL
  • debussyschild
    Options
    If it fits your calories (and macros), eat it!

This is going to spur an argument, but I'm going to say it anyways: so if I eat at all my meals at McDonalds (I mean burgers and fries, people), but I hit all my macronutrients goals and overall calorie intake, are those food choices as nutritionally sound as meeting my macros + overall calorie goal with healthier options? (yes, I'd like my Big Mac with a side of cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes, please!)
  • Onesnap
    Options

This is going to spur an argument, but I'm going to say it anyways: so if I eat at all my meals at McDonalds (I mean burgers and fries, people), but I hit all my macronutrients goals and overall calorie intake, are those food choices as nutritionally sound as meeting my macros + overall calorie goal with healthier options? (yes, I'd like my Big Mac with a side of cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes, please!)

Easy there tiger. We all know about the guy that ate 30 days of McDonalds. (Morgan Spurlock, you are awesome, btw)

If you're meeting your calorie goals each day (even with fast food) you are going to lose that lb/week.

It's pure science.

I mean logging your exercise, if any, and logging every bite and meeting your goals, not falling below them.

So YES, you can lose weight by eating Five Guys Burgers & FRIES. Daily.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    P.S. There's people that live to be over 100 and have eggs and bacon daily.

Genetics are awesome.
  • debussyschild
    Options

Easy there tiger. We all know about the guy that ate 30 days of McDonalds. (Morgan Spurlock, you are awesome, btw)

If you're meeting your calorie goals each day (even with fast food) you are going to lose that lb/week.

It's pure science.

I mean logging your exercise, if any, and logging every bite and meeting your goals, not falling below them.

So YES, you can lose weight by eating Five Guys Burgers & FRIES. Daily.

My question was not can you lose weight, but is it HEALTHY to lose weight eating those things? I love Five Guys, would eat there EVERY SINGLE DAY if I knew my cholesterol wouldn't sky rocket and I wouldn't further increase my chances of getting type II diabetes. All I'm saying is, it took my a long time to realize that not all carbs, fats, and proteins are created equal. There are some that are FAR nutritionally superior than others and having someone point that out to me has made all the difference.

Edit to add: AND DAMMIT if my mom didn't just send me a HUGE freaking box of Godiva chocolates for Christmas!! I negate all my previous posts. If it fits in my macros, I'm eating it!! LOL