Sabotaging with Ice-Cream?

Options

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories (and macros), eat it!

This is going to spur an argument, but I'm going to say it anyways: so if I eat at all my meals at McDonalds (I mean burgers and fries, people), but I hit all my macronutrients goals and overall calorie intake, are those food choices as nutritionally sound as meeting my macros + overall calorie goal with healthier options? (yes, I'd like my Big Mac with a side of cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes, please!)
    I think the key here is that you're going to be hard pressed to build a diet solely of McDonalds food that will hit the average person's calorie goals AND macros.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My question was not can you lose weight, but is it HEALTHY to lose weight eating those things? I love Five Guys, would eat there EVERY SINGLE DAY if I knew my cholesterol wouldn't sky rocket and I wouldn't further increase my chances of getting type II diabetes. All I'm saying is, it took my a long time to realize that not all carbs, fats, and proteins are created equal. There are some that are FAR nutritionally superior than others and having someone point that out to me has made all the difference.

Depends on the person. The guy that lives to 113 eating like that sure thinks it is healthy.

I rely on whole foods and local food. I'm not like the other 99% of America that eats Factory Farmed meat. Grass fed beef has 1/2 the fat so if I ate a grass fed beef burger and organic fries fried in cholesterol free oil daily...YES I would lose weight and I would feel great.

Watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. You'll see what I mean.

oh, and read 'Eating Animals'

Amazing.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My question was not can you lose weight, but is it HEALTHY to lose weight eating those things? I love Five Guys, would eat there EVERY SINGLE DAY if I knew my cholesterol wouldn't sky rocket and I wouldn't further increase my chances of getting type II diabetes. All I'm saying is, it took my a long time to realize that not all carbs, fats, and proteins are created equal. There are some that are FAR nutritionally superior than others and having someone point that out to me has made all the difference.

Depends on the person. The guy that lives to 113 eating like that sure thinks it is healthy.

I rely on whole foods and local food. I'm not like the other 99% of America that eats Factory Farmed meat. Grass fed beef has 1/2 the fat so if I ate a grass fed beef burger and organic fries fried in cholesterol free oil daily...YES I would lose weight and I would feel great.

Watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. You'll see what I mean.

oh, and read 'Eating Animals'

Amazing.

I will have to check both of those things out, thanks for sharing. I wish more grass fed beef was produced locally where I live. I'm all about whole foods and really hate anything processed. I'm a proud supporter of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

This is going to spur an argument, but I'm going to say it anyways: so if I eat at all my meals at McDonalds (I mean burgers and fries, people), but I hit all my macronutrients goals and overall calorie intake, are those food choices as nutritionally sound as meeting my macros + overall calorie goal with healthier options? (yes, I'd like my Big Mac with a side of cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes, please!)
    I think the key here is that you're going to be hard pressed to build a diet solely of McDonalds food that will hit the average person's calorie goals AND macros.
    Just out of curiosity, I played around with the McDonalds meal builder and here's your answer:

Breakfast: Small fruit and yogurt parfait, fruit and walnut salad
    Lunch: Grilled chicken club sandwich, premium caesar salad w/ grilled chicken + extra side salad, apple dippers (no dressing or caramel sauce)
    Dinner: Grilled chicken classic sandwich, premium bacon ranch salad w/ grilled chicken + extra side salad, apple dippers (no dressing or caramel sauce)

1700 calories, 49g fat, 190g carbs, 129g protein.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I eat my ice cream and cake and cookies and log every bite.

Experts say that denying yourself treats does not lead to success in weight loss, it just leads to binging later on.

Plus, this is not a diet. It's a lifestyle.

Eat the ice cream. Life's too short not to.

Agreed 100%
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Every night I allow myself a small treat, and once a week I get dark chocolate, frozen yogurt, or my fav candy bar...that way I still get my sweet tooth satisfied, and am not depriving myself.

My favorites during the week are all under 200 calories...
    1) Smart One sundaes
    2) Skinny Cow ice creams or chocolate clusters
    3) Nestle Dark Chocolate Eskimo bars
    4) HEB brand 90 or 100 calorie cookies w/ soy milk on the side
    5) 100 cal packs

:D
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've said it in previous posts, I'll say it again, to frame the context of my reply -- I am a *kitten* for ice cream. I love it, I want it, it's my precious. So, I eat a single serving every day, I just make sure it fits in my calories.

BUT!

My wife and I don't buy regular old ice cream. We typically buy either Edy's Slow Churned or Breyer's Blasts. They're 1/3 lower fat or something like that, calories for a serving typically hover around 120 rather than 200-ish for the high-test varieties. And they actually taste pretty good...
  • zybbed
    zybbed Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my all time favorite dessert too!
    Nowadays I buy the Popsicle brand Fudgecicle. At only 40 calories each - and it's chocolate - that pretty much does the trick. Other things I use: I freeze Cool Whip and just get a spoonful or two when I want ice cream or else I make sugar free pudding, put it into dessert cups to store in the fridge, then add Cool Whip when I'm ready to eat it. =) It's not my favorite Ben & Jerry's CHERRY GARCIA, but it has to do! LOL
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, I played around with the McDonalds meal builder and here's your answer:

Breakfast: Small fruit and yogurt parfait, fruit and walnut salad
    Lunch: Grilled chicken club sandwich, premium caesar salad w/ grilled chicken + extra side salad, apple dippers (no dressing or caramel sauce)
    Dinner: Grilled chicken classic sandwich, premium bacon ranch salad w/ grilled chicken + extra side salad, apple dippers (no dressing or caramel sauce)

1700 calories, 49g fat, 190g carbs, 129g protein.

That's excellent!
  • alisonrose01
    Options
    When I was losing weight data really good rate and training for a tri(its now 2 years later and I've gained it all back), I got into that same habit...eating dessert everyday after dinner. I never had done that before and I think it total helped with my downfall.. I think my body was craving more real food (protein,healthy fats) so I still felt hungry and since I was working out so hard...I figured no big deal!

My advice is to change this habit immediately! Are you really hungry? If you are, maybe eat a heftier dinner?? Or go for a piece of fruit!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

IIFYM is not about only eating "junk food". It's about meeting your macro goals while staying within your overall calorie goals. The majority of foods should be from whole food sources as these provide more micronutrients than equivalent "junk food".

Then after the minimum macros are met, say you had an additional 200 cals left over for the day, it doesn't really matter if you choose to eat 4 apples or 200cals worth of ice cream.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471

& how to calculate your calorie needs. http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html

To answer the OP's question: if the nuts & fruit is similar macros to the ice cream then at the end of the day there is basically no measurable difference. If it is psychologically better to eat that ice cream so you don't feel like you are "dieting" then go for it!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Try mixing your protein powder with crushed ice and some low fat milk (instead of water) and blend it on low for a good 3 minutes. The crushed ice +slow churning will create a very thick consistency, thicker than milkshake but not solid like ice cream, but close enough.

For added effect, close your eyes when you drink and think of ice cream but I find that the finished product is good enough so you don't need to do such a thing!
  • prettier_me
    prettier_me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think these things are fine, but probably not everyday. Maybe try weaning yourself off, like doing every other day, or just go down to one cookie after dinner. Or do ice cream one night and cookies the next.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Depending on how good you are in kitchen, theres a few egg/protein variations of ice cream you can whip up in a few minutes.

I recall a cup or two of fresh strawberries, eggwhites blended I THINK...freezes into near ice-cream. For like 1/4 the calories.

The basic sludge (protein/water/peanutbutter optional) mixture'll chill and thicken into a fudgesicle type texture.

Youtube some vids though. There's tons of similar recipes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Short answer, probably.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The twinkie diet. This professor ate twinkies, donuts, doritos, Hostess and Little Debbie snack cakes, Oreos, sugary cereals, and took a multivitamin and a protein shake. The results? He lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks, and all of his health markers improved markedly, his LDL's went down, HDl's went up, triglycerides almost went down by half. It was an experiment specifically to show that calories are all that matter when it comes to weight loss, he admits to being surprised and unsure about how and why his health markers improved, but most likely it's because he lost 27 pounds of excess weight, which is the biggest health risk of all, being overweight/obese. Not being obese or overweight eliminates and improves more health problems than selectively eating specific foods.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Weight loss is about caloric deficit. Eating healthy isn't a requirement for weight loss. If I want it, and it fits I will eat it. Does that mean I eat McDonalds all day long?...um, no. I eat well for the most part, but if I want a Big Mac and Fries once in a while and it fits, I'm going to have it. I'm on a "non-deprivation" diet :smile: .

<--no ill effects here
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    You can have ice-cream after a work-out! (:
    Greek yogurt in a blender with fruits or protein powder (chocolate protein powder = chocolate 'ice cream!'), toss in the freezer for about an hour. Makes a serving, it's high in protein and calcium and low in sugars.
    A dollop of whipped cream and you get nearly the same effect.

It's a calorie-dense alternative, but it's great to build muscle mass. Protein power is obviously optional--and I would advise against it if you need to cut back significantly on other meals to fit it in.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Or just have ice cream. Not everything have to be a perfectly "clean" healthy meal.

Although the above does sound yummy.
  • 7destiny
    Options
    Here's another diy ice cream. Peel two bananas, break in to chunks and freeze in a plastic bag. I put into a blender with a spoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, two stevia packets and a splash of milk or coconut water. Blend til its like soft serve! If my protein was low for the day I add a scoop of Collagen Sport while blending. This makes enough to share.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I dunno if someone has suggested this - but I love icecream and as a substitute I take chocolate whey powder and milk and mix them in a blender bottle and throw it in the freezer and let it harden up

then I will drink it as a milk shake - or you could let it firm up more and it has a wendy's frosty texture, its very good (I use body fortress whey protein for this, very cheap 15ish dollars for 2lbs and walmart)