Low Calories, or Low Carbs? What is better.....

Options

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Actually you are losing vitamin C, D, B's of all kinds, and minerals, anti-oxidants, metals...etc... just to name a few.... There is a danger in limiting carbs over a period of time it is call karotine or something like that it is where your body gives off a toxic chemical that will eat you liver and splean and gulblatter. It is very dangerous to limit carb consumption like in the Atkins Diet because your body will after so long release this chemical due to lack of other nutrients that you need and you can develop sever health issues because of this chemical.
    I breast feed my son when I talked to a few nurses, Doctors, and nutritionists they told me about this and that it is deadly to not only me but to my baby also. If this type of diet gives you your desired results go for it but it is very dangerous. If you look at the Atkins website it only suggests you use the super low carb for a week, 3 max and warns against more then 3 weeks of super low carb intake which is under 24 or 26 carbs per day. Do some research and talk to some professionals before you scorn people..... You will sound a lot more intelligent that way.....LOL good luck.

You should take some of your own advice and research before typing a passage like that. All of the vitamins you list are found in abundance in vegtables and lower sugar/carb fruits and plenty in meat as well.

Karotine is not something that even exists. You are thinking of Ketones, which is a natural chemical in the body and in no way harmful, in fact cardiac muscle actually prefers ketones, and the brain can run just fine on a blend of ketones and minimal glucose. You are thinking of diabetic ketoacidosis, which is a very harmful condition but totally unrelated to ketones in the body, and just something that the media has twisted and misinformed the public about to further demonize low carb diets.

Entire civilizations have existed for ages on what is practically a zero-carb diet.

Read more here as well: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz1l49GbqKi
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    usually if you cut out carbs all together when you start introducing them into your diet again you gain back all of your weight plus some. Its better to balance everything as a whole instead of getting rid of them

And therein lies the issue most people fall into. They go back to "normal" Standard American Diet (SAD) eating with the same habits they had before that made them fat to begin with and blame it on low carb diets being flawed. I never hear of people that go on low fat diets that go back to eating "normal" blaming it on low fat diets, they just blame fat and most people seem fine with the idea of cutting fat permanantly from a diet, but mention carbs and they go nuts.

You basically have a few choices in my opinion:

1. Eat less on a calorie restriced diet. Generally obsess about food and start and end each day hungry.
    2. Eat a low fat diet. Salivate over your co-worker's steak lunch because it smells great and wonder why they can eat that and stay slim. Generally obsess about food that you can't have and start and end each day hungry.
    3. Low carb diet. Generally don't think about food because you're never hungry. Long for bread and pasta occasionally and perhaps endulge occasionally. Start and end each day feeling satisfied.

This comes from my experience anyway. There is no reason at all to "add carbs back in" as most people always say because they are generally unnecessary, or at least in the form that Americans consume them. If I "needed" carbs for more energy because of a specific activity I would supplement with things like sweet potatoes, not starchy wheats and other processed junk.

The problem is you can't completely cut out carbs your entire life, you need some carbs to actually live. But you can't have pasta every single day of your life. And when you go from cutting them out completely than you crave them more and there for you binge on them when you go back to eating them.

Incorrect. There is NO SUCH THING as an essential carbohydrate. Essential minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids, but no such things as an essential carb. Secondly you get all the carbs that you need from eating vegtables and some fruits while eating low carb while also packing in all the other great stuff too. You CAN go your entire life not eating a single form of grains and be healthy and maintain an ideal weight. Look at Eskimos, pretty sure nobody is growing whole grains and eating bread in the Arctic, and they seem to live long healthy lives on things like seal, whale blubber, fish, etc. Only those that are integrating into western society and eating the stuff that westerners do seem to have issues with weight, tooth decay and disease.

Secondly, it is proven time and time again that the longer you are on a low carb diet the less you want the carbs from processed and sugary foods. If you go back to them, sure they trigger a response to want to eat more, it is like an addiction (the carb flu that people talk about is really detoxing the crap from your system) and you'll slide right back into poor decisions, take it from someone whos done that. I see carb-y treats all the time at work, the store, I don't even notice them at all anymore, they don't even register in my brain as real food.

Saying there are no essential carbs is a pretty misleading statement. True, the human body can function without them, so in that respect they are not "essential". But that is not optimal. The human body can function without a lot of things, including protein.

Also, if one were to "completely cut out carbs" you could not be eating fruits or vegetables. You seem to be confusing "carbs" with carbs from grains.

I realize that some people have a medical need to cut grains from their diet, but it's really not needed for the general population. And there is evidence that, without a medical need, it's healthier not to cut whole grains (such as the long term Nurse's Healthy Study).
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    usually if you cut out carbs all together when you start introducing them into your diet again you gain back all of your weight plus some. Its better to balance everything as a whole instead of getting rid of them

And therein lies the issue most people fall into. They go back to "normal" Standard American Diet (SAD) eating with the same habits they had before that made them fat to begin with and blame it on low carb diets being flawed. I never hear of people that go on low fat diets that go back to eating "normal" blaming it on low fat diets, they just blame fat and most people seem fine with the idea of cutting fat permanantly from a diet, but mention carbs and they go nuts.

1. Eat less on a calorie restriced diet. Generally obsess about food and start and end each day hungry.
    2. Eat a low fat diet. Salivate over your co-worker's steak lunch because it smells great and wonder why they can eat that and stay slim. Generally obsess about food that you can't have and start and end each day hungry.
    3. Low carb diet. Generally don't think about food because you're never hungry. Long for bread and pasta occasionally and perhaps endulge occasionally. Start and end each day feeling satisfied.

This comes from my experience anyway. There is no reason at all to "add carbs back in" as most people always say because they are generally unnecessary, or at least in the form that Americans consume them. If I "needed" carbs for more energy because of a specific activity I would supplement with things like sweet potatoes, not starchy wheats and other processed junk.

The problem is you can't completely cut out carbs your entire life, you need some carbs to actually live. But you can't have pasta every single day of your life. And when you go from cutting them out completely than you crave them more and there for you binge on them when you go back to eating them.

Incorrect. There is NO SUCH THING as an essential carbohydrate. Essential minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids, but no such things as an essential carb. Secondly you get all the carbs that you need from eating vegtables and some fruits while eating low carb while also packing in all the other great stuff too. You CAN go your entire life not eating a single form of grains and be healthy and maintain an ideal weight. Look at Eskimos, pretty sure nobody is growing whole grains and eating bread in the Arctic, and they seem to live long healthy lives on things like seal, whale blubber, fish, etc. Only those that are integrating into western society and eating the stuff that westerners do seem to have issues with weight, tooth decay and disease.

Secondly, it is proven time and time again that the longer you are on a low carb diet the less you want the carbs from processed and sugary foods. If you go back to them, sure they trigger a response to want to eat more, it is like an addiction (the carb flu that people talk about is really detoxing the crap from your system) and you'll slide right back into poor decisions, take it from someone whos done that. I see carb-y treats all the time at work, the store, I don't even notice them at all anymore, they don't even register in my brain as real food.

Saying there are no essential carbs is a pretty misleading statement. True, the human body can function without them, so in that respect they are not "essential". But that is not optimal. The human body can function without a lot of things, including protein.

Also, if one were to "completely cut out carbs" you could not be eating fruits or vegetables. You seem to be confusing "carbs" with carbs from grains.

I realize that some people have a medical need to cut grains from their diet, but it's really not needed for the general population. And there is evidence that, without a medical need, it's healthier not to cut whole grains (such as the long term Nurse's Healthy Study).

Human body will die without protein. Just as there is no need to cut out carbs completely, there is no need to eat 45% or more of your calories from carbs unless you are very physically active. It should not be the "standard" recommendation because it is not optimal for health in the average person.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Human body will die without protein.

There are people that do not, due to severe food allergies, consume any protien. They must eat/drink amino acid based "medical food", but they do not consume protein and they live.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    1. You don't have to be hungry on a calorie restrictive diet. In fact, if you are eating healthy foods and exercising, it's unlikely that you will be hungry.
    2 & 3. Low fat or low carb are not the only diet options, or even the best choices for many people.

My experience is that if I focus on healthy foods and flavor, rather than what macronutrient group a food falls into, it's much easier to formulate a diet I can live with long term. A diet that doesn't leave me hungry or with unsatisfied cravings. A diet full of variety and textures and flavor.

I did say in my experience, and I certainly agree that those are not the only options, just a few of the things that I have done in the past. For me calorie restriction and low fat just don't work very well I'm always hungry on both of them and at least for low fat I feel lethargic, get sick way more often and quite frankly pretty much every low fat food tastes horrible. I get plenty of variety from low carb and have eaten things on a regular basis that I had no idea about prior to eating this way and pretty much never factor into the SAD.

I also find from a purely weight loss perspective (or better yet a FAT loss perspective) that low carbbing is far superior for me. Sure I've dropped weight in the past with calorie restriction and lower fat diets, but I felt horrible and quite a bit of my weight loss was also muscle (based on appearance and my athletic performance). I also find it much harder to loose weight without working out like a fiend or taking stimulants on anything but low carb, which I can (and have to for my job really) sit on my butt all day and see results.
    Without restricting carbs, taking any pills, or doing anything crazy (just stuck with moderate exercise, plenty of water, and nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions), I shed 125+ pounds and went from 56% body fat to 23% body fat. I'm pretty sure the carbs didn't interfere with my fat loss.

A lot of times the foods that cause the most problems for people are sugar and refined carbs. By adopting a "well balanced" low-calorie diet, they often inadvertently remove the offending carbs and reduce their total carb intake as well. So its hard to say if carbs had an effect on you or not based on this testimony.
    I rarely eat processed foods (partly due to food allergies, partly because you can eat more when you eat higher quality food); however, I eat at least one banana every day and eat potatoes several times a week - I am pretty sure both of those are considered "no-no" foods for low carb-ers - and other fruits and some whole grains as well.
    I would say that, on average, 40-50% of my calories come from carbs and 25% come from fat, and 25-35% from protein. The only reason my protein is as high as 35% some days is that I am focusing on strength training at this point, but when I was losing weight, it was usually about 50% carbs / 25% fat / 25% protein. I typically ate around 1400-1600 calories while shedding the weight and, on maintenance, I eat about 1900-2000.
    So maybe now that I've added that information you can see that carbs really didn't impact my fat loss?

As I stated in my prior post to you, congratulations and bully for you. Wish I could do so.

There are no "no-no" foods for low-carbers once they get past the two week induction period and start adding carbs back into their diet until they find the sweet spot where they can lose weight without feeling deprived and without having any negative physical impacts from the carbs they eat, i.e. elevated insulin levels, hypoglycemic episodes, fatigue, etc. (there are numerous possibilities and not all people feel all these effects).

Anyway, most low-carbers can, if they want, successfully eat banana, potato or grains in limited portions. I, too, eat these several times weekly. I just probably eat smaller serving sizes than you do when I do eat them. In fact, at breakfast this morning, I just enjoyed 1 small potato grated into hash browns.

The simple fact is that some of us need to limit carbs, some don't. What works for you may not work for me and vice-versa. We all need to experiment and find what fits us best. As long as we are eating enough calories to not damage our metabolisms and getting our nutrients, the other variables that can be adjusted to meet individuals needs are just that....individual.

There is no right or wrong. I'm glad for you that you could lose weight at 50% carbs in your diet. I can't and I feel miserable when I eat that much. Why can't you accept that?
  • grinch031
    Options

There are people that do not, due to severe food allergies, consume any protien. They must eat/drink amino acid based "medical food", but they do not consume protein and they live.

Ok fine I'll take your word for it, but that's a lot different than saying carbs are essential.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I never said cut carbs completely to zero (though you CAN do that with no ill effects, your body just consumes dietary fat as a fuel source). What I am saying is that you can cut all the processed carbs, the sugar, the whole grains, the rice, corn, all of these things that have and will be shown in the future to have detrimental effects on weight and insulin in the human body, get any carbs that you take in from vegtables and some fruit and be fine.

Most of the times the anti-low carb crowd goes nuts when you mention cutting grains, but there is NOTHING worthwhile in grains that cannot be had in another source that has less effect on blood sugar and insulin levels.Heart Healthy Whole Grains? Based on what exactly is that statement being made? Nothing more than the thought that it SHOULD be good for you, though science has plenty of studies to show that whole grains are actually anti-nutrients and cause malabsorbtion of what they offer more than processed grains. Anything that you have to process or modify beyond cooking to eat in my book is probably junk.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

That is not possible. Everything, including fruits, vegetables and nuts contain protein. They are getting protein from somewhere.........
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    1. You don't have to be hungry on a calorie restrictive diet. In fact, if you are eating healthy foods and exercising, it's unlikely that you will be hungry.
    2 & 3. Low fat or low carb are not the only diet options, or even the best choices for many people.

My experience is that if I focus on healthy foods and flavor, rather than what macronutrient group a food falls into, it's much easier to formulate a diet I can live with long term. A diet that doesn't leave me hungry or with unsatisfied cravings. A diet full of variety and textures and flavor.

I did say in my experience, and I certainly agree that those are not the only options, just a few of the things that I have done in the past. For me calorie restriction and low fat just don't work very well I'm always hungry on both of them and at least for low fat I feel lethargic, get sick way more often and quite frankly pretty much every low fat food tastes horrible. I get plenty of variety from low carb and have eaten things on a regular basis that I had no idea about prior to eating this way and pretty much never factor into the SAD.

I also find from a purely weight loss perspective (or better yet a FAT loss perspective) that low carbbing is far superior for me. Sure I've dropped weight in the past with calorie restriction and lower fat diets, but I felt horrible and quite a bit of my weight loss was also muscle (based on appearance and my athletic performance). I also find it much harder to loose weight without working out like a fiend or taking stimulants on anything but low carb, which I can (and have to for my job really) sit on my butt all day and see results.
    Without restricting carbs, taking any pills, or doing anything crazy (just stuck with moderate exercise, plenty of water, and nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions), I shed 125+ pounds and went from 56% body fat to 23% body fat. I'm pretty sure the carbs didn't interfere with my fat loss.

A lot of times the foods that cause the most problems for people are sugar and refined carbs. By adopting a "well balanced" low-calorie diet, they often inadvertently remove the offending carbs and reduce their total carb intake as well. So its hard to say if carbs had an effect on you or not based on this testimony.
    I rarely eat processed foods (partly due to food allergies, partly because you can eat more when you eat higher quality food); however, I eat at least one banana every day and eat potatoes several times a week - I am pretty sure both of those are considered "no-no" foods for low carb-ers - and other fruits and some whole grains as well.
    I would say that, on average, 40-50% of my calories come from carbs and 25% come from fat, and 25-35% from protein. The only reason my protein is as high as 35% some days is that I am focusing on strength training at this point, but when I was losing weight, it was usually about 50% carbs / 25% fat / 25% protein. I typically ate around 1400-1600 calories while shedding the weight and, on maintenance, I eat about 1900-2000.
    So maybe now that I've added that information you can see that carbs really didn't impact my fat loss?

I'd have to conclude from your statements that you've cut out the junk in your diet and replaced it with better options. Will a potato kill a low carber? No, of course not, it's still natural food, but you still don't want to eat them every single day. Will a banana kill a low carber, no of course not, but you should try to err on the side of lower sugar fruits like berries.

I'm glad what you did worked for you, that's awesome, but more often than not people are yo-yo dieting or starving themselves, or eating poor quality or horrible tasting foods in the quest to loose weight, when they could eat a more natural whole food diet with more carb restriction and break the cycle.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes, but I'd be willing to bet that there are more efficient ways of doing it.

Excuse me but why are you being such a ***** to everyone on here. Are you a dietian?? Are you the all mighty god of carbs?? Seriously slow your roll. Something might of worked for you but maybe you shouldn't jump down everyone's throat. Chill the hell out and pick up a medical book. Because I for one am in the medical field so I think I might know a thing or two.
  • grinch031
    Options

Excuse me but why are you being such a ***** to everyone on here. Are you a dietian?? Are you the all mighty god of carbs?? Seriously slow your roll. Something might of worked for you but maybe you shouldn't jump down everyone's throat. Chill the hell out and pick up a medical book. Because I for one am in the medical field so I think I might know a thing or two.

Being in the medical field doesn't mean a whole lot if what they teach in medical school about diet is false.
  • Cindym82
    Options

Being in the medical field doesn't mean a whole lot if what they teach in medical school about diet is false.

Have you been to medical school?
  • grinch031
    Options

Are you trying to make the point that what is taught in medical school is different than what the American Heart Association, NIH, and other health organizations say about diet?
  • bcattoes
    Options

That is not possible. Everything, including fruits, vegetables and nuts contain protein. They are getting protein from somewhere.........

Some eat only the medical food. I'm not going to argue the point. Surely you know how to use Google.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That might be true, but luckily what is taught is not false.
  • Cindym82
    Options

Are you trying to make the point that what is taught in medical school is different than what the American Heart Association, NIH, and other health organizations say about diet?

Yes I am, so obviously you have never been to medical school nor do you work in healthcare. So until your experience one or both than maybe you shouldn't talk out of your *kitten*. Cause now you're just being annoying. You have no clue what you're even talking about
  • Cindym82
    Options

That might be true, but luckily what is taught is not false.

It's not false what they teach she is just being silly
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    If you eat a low carb diet, you will eat less calories. Plain and simple.

I was eating 125g to 150g of protein a day. 50-60g of fat a day. My carbs, ranging from 100-200 at least, filled the rest of the space in calories every day. I ate about 1700 calories a day.

I cut carbs to a strict 100g, 60g of fat, 125g of protein. My calories are about 1400 a day.

If you control it to that precise level, the only thing you should decrease is carbs because you don't want to cut any of the protein or dietary fats.

Just my situation for your observation. :)
  • grinch031
    Options

Yes I am, so obviously you have never been to medical school nor do you work in healthcare. So until your experience one or both than maybe you shouldn't talk out of your *kitten*. Cause now you're just being annoying. You have no clue what you're even talking about

So I suppose we should all be on low-fat, high-carb well-balanced diets?
  • grinch031
    Options

AND now that I read your bio I can see what a joke you really are. First off you didn't just "fall" back into a standard american diet, you decided that you didn't care about yourself, or your wife, or your son. If you were really in the military you'd know diets and exercise, esp. exercise. My whole family has been either in military, police, or fire dept...you don't just "fall" into being lazy. And there is NO WAY you lifted what you say you did and than just gave up. Seriously go away cause now you're just pathetic

Who are you even talking to here?
  • grinch031
    Options
    If you eat a low carb diet, you will eat less calories. Plain and simple.

Why doesn't the person replace the energy void with more fat and protein? If carbs are over-eaten for no apparent reason, why wouldn't fat and protein also be over-eaten?