Replies

• bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Silly question: How do you do planks?
  • peartree99
    peartree99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had four, and my youngest is four years old. I didn't think I was doing too badly, but I wanted to lose some weight and get back in shape. Since September I have lost 25 pounds and have toned up considerably. I've been limiting my fat and calories, walking more and working out 5-6 days each week with a Jillian Michaels DVD. It's amazing how those workouts have strengthened my abs! I didn't realize how out of shape I was. My abs are now flat! I would like to tone them a little more yet, but I'm loving the results so far. You CAN do it!
  • peartree99
    Options
    I've had four, and my youngest is four years old. I didn't think I was doing too badly, but I wanted to lose some weight and get back in shape. Since September I have lost 25 pounds and have toned up considerably. I've been limiting my fat and calories, walking more and working out 5-6 days each week with a Jillian Michaels DVD. It's amazing how those workouts have strengthened my abs! I didn't realize how out of shape I was. My abs are now flat! I would like to tone them a little more yet, but I'm loving the results so far. You CAN do it!
  • peartree99
    Options
    Oops.... sorry for the double post!
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Silly question: How do you do planks?

They are done like this:
    http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am definitely about to add a lot more planking to my workouts!

Its just hard sometimes to tell if I'm doing them correctly.

Is my back flat enough?

Should I do them up on my arms or elbows? Toes or knees? etc., etc.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I need a tummy tuck it's gross I ma not overwieght any more can feel the muscles but the skin is hangy and wrinkly gross I hate it!! 2012 goal tummy tuck so I can combat the 120 pounds I lost and 2 kids

That's my problem! I've got a great 6 pack....underneath that skin :(
    I've thought about a tummy tuck a million times, maybe???
    But good luck with your GOAL I'm excited for you!!!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I am definitely about to add a lot more planking to my workouts!

Its just hard sometimes to tell if I'm doing them correctly.

Is my back flat enough?

Should I do them up on my arms or elbows? Toes or knees? etc., etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHjTRCQxIw
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    After three big babies, I think that my abs aren't too bad, it is just the excess skin and stretch marks that are the worst! Has anyone been able to tone and tighten the saggy lower abdominal area? I am not looking for perfection... I just don't want my loose skin to sway when I bend over.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have two kids with my youngest who turned one on the 20 of this month and planks should be your best friend. I did them a lot before and after I had my daughter who is about to turn 3 in march.. I had a c-section with both my kids and I feel like it help me bounce back super fast. I was working out a month after I had my son by c-section. Planks are so great for strenghing and toning your core. try to hold for as long as you can. Sometimes my kids up and crimb all over me and it will make you stronger planking with a 30ish pound kid on you. Also you can add me as a friend so we can help each more! Rachel

Just curious. I had a c-section too, when any work outs that involve my stomach I get a pain where my scar was. Do you? Does anyone? >.< I wish i could blame my flabby tummy on that but even gentle work outs can make it painful for days.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Clean eating, heavy weights, lots of water.

I have 2 kids and the beginnings of my six pack just showed up at 17% body fat. :) You can do it!

Currently working my way towards 15% body fat, to chisel them out a little further. :bigsmile:

Agreed. Heavy weights made all of the difference.

2 kids, 8 pounds each, gained 50 pounds with each.

belly.jpg
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have two kids with my youngest who turned one on the 20 of this month and planks should be your best friend. I did them a lot before and after I had my daughter who is about to turn 3 in march.. I had a c-section with both my kids and I feel like it help me bounce back super fast. I was working out a month after I had my son by c-section. Planks are so great for strenghing and toning your core. try to hold for as long as you can. Sometimes my kids up and crimb all over me and it will make you stronger planking with a 30ish pound kid on you. Also you can add me as a friend so we can help each more! Rachel

Just curious. I had a c-section too, when any work outs that involve my stomach I get a pain where my scar was. Do you? Does anyone? >.< I wish i could blame my flabby tummy on that but even gentle work outs can make it painful for days.

Sorry....first time I've tried quoting. I've had two c-sections, and I have no pain anymore (my youngest is two). I would talk to your dr, something doesn't sound right there.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

I haven't had a cesarean, but I have had a surgery that required an incision on my hips at my bikini line, the only difference from a cesarean being that my uterus wasn't involved. I had the same problem with my scar. I couldn't wear jeans, do sit ups, or even wear any kind of fabric that was too course or too tight for over a year. I finally went to my doctor who sent me to a dermatologist, and it turned out my scar tissue over grew and became keloids. She gave me injections of cortisone for two months and the pain went away.

You have to be careful with abdominal surgery scars because you can get adhesions in your abdomen which can be very painful and pose major difficulties. I would definitely see your doctor to make sure you don't have any adhesions, and also start massaging the area daily to try to soften the scar tissue in the meantime.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    [/quote]

Sorry....first time I've tried quoting. I've had two c-sections, and I have no pain anymore (my youngest is two). I would talk to your dr, something doesn't sound right there.
    [/quote]

I have never had a section, but it sounds like you have some scar tissue... remember, sections are a major surgery that involve your entire abdominal wall, and scar tissue can make workouts painful.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    Sorry... I didn't do the quoting properly... but I was replying to the statement above what I typed :tongue:
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options

I do as well..I'd like to know if that is normal...
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My youngest just turned 1 on the 15th and I'm 5lbs to pre pregnancy weight from before I got pregnant with my oldest. My stomach is still mushy but I'm working on it, and I can already see a decrease in my mama pooch that pooch we ladies get who've had c-sections, that area is my main concern and I've been doing the 30 day shred, and I do sit ups when I can't fit the 30 day shred in, and I also do the crunches and planks, I hate planks but I do them because I know they work.

To those curious about the c-section scar pain, I do not get any pain in that area :/ that's weird.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    <---- tummy after 6 kids. Youngest is one. What worked for me was heavy strenght training and planks.

Wow!! Very impressive.
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

I do as well..I'd like to know if that is normal...

See my response above. It could be keloids or adhesions. See your doctor because it isn't normal! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!