I am giving up fizzy drinks. For good.

Options
I went to the dentist yesterday and was informed that at my young age of 21, my regular drinking of fizzy pop was already wearing away my teeth! It's only been the past 2 years, but thats the time I put most of this weight on.

So I made a decision to give up fizzy drinks. And just cos it says DIET doesn't make it good for me. I drink litres of diet coke, and it is not only costing me additional, unnecessary money. But its just not worth it.

So me telling you this is a confirmation. I should make a poster, stick it on my wall, in my fridge, in my purse.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO FIZZY DRINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• BarbelleBaby
    Options
    I read this because I was wondering whether this was a huge deal for someone, as personally I very much DISLIKE fizzy drinks. They make my teeth feel gritty, make me thirstier due to sugar content and even the diet versions - which I don't mind because they are less sugary - are full of crap!

So if you need reminding of any of these for motivation - I'm here :D:D

Good on you, it'll be better for your teeth and diet :flowerforyou:
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    It is a big deal for me. I buy 2 x 2litre bottles every week when we go shopping. I drink them whenever we go out. I work at McDs and drink them all day every day and when I'm at uni I drink them constantly. I must drink at least 1litre every day. Minimum. More most days. It is a little out of control.
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Excellant choice. I stopped drinking them 10 months ago and it really helped with my weight loss. Everything I have read says that the diet drinks are even worse for you. I now drink nothing (other than morning coffee) with any calories. Mostly I just drink iced green tea, water and Propel. Good Luck!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

AS a suggestion from someone who did something simillar (I cut down significantly. I was drinking 3-4L a day. I now rarely hit 1L. I'm not ready to give it up completly though) be prepared for the headaches. Be prepared to feel like crap for about a week. I'm not trying to scare you but warn you :) I feel SO much better since I gave up the huge amount. I'm convinced it 'cured' my depression.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    Good for you!

AS a suggestion from someone who did something simillar (I cut down significantly. I was drinking 3-4L a day. I now rarely hit 1L. I'm not ready to give it up completly though) be prepared for the headaches. Be prepared to feel like crap for about a week. I'm not trying to scare you but warn you :) I feel SO much better since I gave up the huge amount. I'm convinced it 'cured' my depression.

Thanks - I hadn't even thought of that... I went a day yesterday! Felt weird though. Went to cinema and I took a bottle of water with me. We had McDonalds for tea and I had tea and then at the football last night I drank another bottle of water and a carton of apple juice. Seems stupid to most people but that was an accomplishment! 3 major oppurtunities for diet coke and I avoided them all.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Good work! It is hard. I still fall over a lot. (at my parents and drinking too much) It's worth it though!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It is really hard work if you like the stuff.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Cola like that , roughly 2 litres every day. Recently i put an end to it, at first i swapped to fizzy water and then normal and now i don't even think about them.

I found that if you drink your water before you go for the fizzy you will be so full that you don't want to drink anything else. Plus there of some great articles on HFCS that is in these drinks that really puts you off them
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Oh No!! How will cola companies make money?????
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been contemplating doing this. I get through Diet Coke like it's here for a limited time only!! I have heard a few times that it's bad for weightloss if you carry on drinking it. Maybe it should be a new years resolution to cut down (I don't think I could give up).
    Good luck! I hope it helps your weightloss :smile:
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been contemplating doing this. I get through Diet Coke like it's here for a limited time only!! I have heard a few times that it's bad for weightloss if you carry on drinking it. Maybe it should be a new years resolution to cut down (I don't think I could give up).
    Good luck! I hope it helps your weightloss :smile:

Diet Coke is very bad for weight loss! It stalls weight loss. In fact any fizzy drink would do the same. Something weird happens when you drink something which has a fizz!
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    I have read loads of articles about fizzy drinks. But it wasn;t til the dentist made the comment that something in me clicked and I decided no more. I think I have to say no more. Cos I know if I have one drink, I'll have another, or I'll make it a weekly thing. The damage is being done and I like having teeth. I don't want them to fall out lol!
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I gave them up about a month ago, last night at dinner I poured myself a glass of coke and to my surprise I couldn't stand it anymore. I cant explain to you how much better I feel drinking water instead of the fizzy drinks! My skin has improved so much as an extra benifit! I will never go back! Good luck! The first 2 weeks are the hardest but you can do it!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I was a certified Diet Coke ADDICT for over 15 years, and a regular Coke addict from childhood. It's been almost 3 years now since I decided to give it up and I'm SOOOO glad I did! The first few weeks totally sucked... headaches, crankiness, etc. But after that I realized I felt SO much better. A few months in and I tried just a taste and it was awful! How had I been so addicted to that crap? I have no idea, but I'm happy to say it doesn't even tempt me anymore. That took a while, the smell was so tempting for a few months that I didn't know if I could stay off the stuff, but I did and I'm so glad. I feel better, have been able to lose the weight, I have more energy and less bloating!

Now all I drink is water, iced tea and Gatorade when I run long or work out really really hard! I do like a beer on occasion, but that's like maybe every other month or so... girl's gotta have fun!!!!
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    THE HEADACHES!!!!!

I can't believe that my head is banging so much from not drinking diet coke!

Have already noticed I don't feel so bloated though. So thats good.

How long before the headaches and dizziness stop though?
  • alleyrat
    Options
    THE HEADACHES!!!!!

I can't believe that my head is banging so much from not drinking diet coke!

Have already noticed I don't feel so bloated though. So thats good.

How long before the headaches and dizziness stop though?

Hang on in there it won't last too much longer. The headaches show just how bad that stuff is - a signal of detoxification. The other thing about coke is the amount of salt in it - I was amazed when I realised that. Thats what makes you thirsty for more. The stuff is pure crap and you are doing the right thing by stopping so just battle through the headaches and drink lots of water.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    SALT?!?!?!?!?!? I never even realised!! I did start to notice that I could drink two or three times the amount of diet coke than I could water. It got insane.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    good for you !
  • AnnaK812
    AnnaK812 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to diet sodas, but realized it was the fizz I loved so much. Now I drink 3 cans of flavored seltzer water a day and don't miss the soda at all.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's not easy but so worth it. I gave up pop for about 3 months this year and some how slipped up and started drinking it again. It was even harder to give it up the second time around. If you don't drink caffeine free pop be ready for some of the worst headaches of your life. Giving up the pop and caffeine has gave me clearer skin, better teeth, better sleep, the best hair I have ever had (it used to be dry and brittle, now it's soft and shiny), better focus, and I have yet to get sick this year, and I am usually sick all winter long. It's so worth it in the end. I went from drinking up to a 12 pk a day to nothing but plain uncaffeinated tea and water.