I am giving up fizzy drinks. For good.

Options

Replies

• lizgreenhill
    Options
    It is a big deal for me. I buy 2 x 2litre bottles every week when we go shopping. I drink them whenever we go out. I work at McDs and drink them all day every day and when I'm at uni I drink them constantly. I must drink at least 1litre every day. Minimum. More most days. It is a little out of control.

I used to drink a Case of mountain dew in 5days i would go thru 4 cases a month and sometimes if i didnt get the case i would get atleast 1-2 2litres a day. Im really glad i quit drinking it
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet Coke back in May and have found that I've got better endurance for running since. My breathing is better because my stomach isn't all bloated from the carbonation. I now have the occasional diet Coke, but I don't bring it into my house -- only at restaurants or other people's houses.
  • karajensen10
    Options
    Hello,

If you like fizzy drinks, try Perrier. It is calorie free. They also have flavors. It helps keep me full and gives the feel like you are having a coke.

Have a happy Holiday!
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to diet sodas, but realized it was the fizz I loved so much. Now I drink 3 cans of flavored seltzer water a day and don't miss the soda at all.

That's how I gave up my 6-10 diet coke a day habit. I still drink coffee (black) so I have caffeine in the morning but I love La Croix for the change of pace from water. I drink about 3 cans of La Croix a day.

If you want to give up caffeine all the way, the best way to do it is gradually. You wait until you have the dull ache of an on coming headache and eventually it gets later and later in the day. Soon you wont even need it.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You're talking to the Queen of Diet Coke here! I drank nothing BUT Diet Coke for many years. Since changing my lifestyle, I have cut back to MAYBE a can of Diet Coke once a week. If that.

To avoid the withdrawal headaches from lack of caffeine and the tired feeling, I started drinking iced tea. I've slowly made my way to water only and drink a ton of that each day.

Good luck! It's hard in the beginning but oh so worth it in the end. :drinker:
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Dr. OZ talked about this with a soda addict that drank several 2 liters a day. He says to replace it with OJ. You will still get a lot of sugar but there are a ton of nutrients as well and eventually your body will stop wanting it since it will be in overload and you will be able to reduce easily and quickly.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It's been 5 months for me. It's still very hard, and a choice a have to mkae every day. I do occasionally drink sparkling water and that gives me some fizzy, but it's better than the diet sodas I was drinking constantly. I didn't give up caffeine, and still drink coffee and tea, but I still had headaches for about 2 weeks after giving it up.
    Keep it up, you and your pocketbook will feel so much better.
  • mzkynd
    mzkynd Posts: 63
    Options
    You all seem to be talking about soda...I'm the only one who thought of sparkling water? If it's still bad for your teeth, then by all means stay away, but right now I'm hooked on La Croix Coconut Sparkling Water, zero calories, zero sweetener. Ingredients: carbonated water, natural flavor. Maybe worth checking out for a little fizz with less guilt.
    (Unless it's also bad for you and I'm just wrong? Entirely possible.)

This sounds so yummy!!!! <runs off to google and see where I can get some>
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yep. Diet sodas can be worse than regular because of the fake sugar - soda in general has fake sugar because high fructose corn syrup is manafactured. I'll take a Dublin Dr Pepper made with Imperial cane sugar ANYDAY! But I won't, 'cause I'm not drinking it, either, lol!

Great job making this big decision!! :happy: Good luck!
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I quit coffee and has similar side effects. Except mine were worse. Naseua vomitting, pounding migraine type head aches sensitivity to light, constant fatigue I spent 2 weeks on the couch just sleeping... :( I think it is the caffiene and if not just the dependency alone you probably had on diet coke ;0 Really good job for quiting your body will be so much healthier!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You should check out San Pellegrino water. It is my absolute favorite with a lime. I also add cheap sparkling water to cranberry and orange juice. I really like the fizzy!
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just recently cut way back on soda too...we were buying 4 or more 12 packs per week...and now I'm not buying it at all!!! I am trying to do decaf tea instead!!!! NO SUGAR...maybe a little honey and lemon!
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    I'm not missing the fizz at all. Have started drinking this chinese tea that is really sweet and that's replacing the taste fo diet. Headaches not bad today. Thankyou for all your suggestions and help :-)

I have started drinking more water, herbal tea and no added sugar squash. Did buy a bottle of diet coke for boxing day (having guests over) but hoping to avoid drinking it.

I don't drink alcohol at all and don't want to not have things I like over Christmas, so glad I got some in the house. But think I'll just try and stick to the tea and water :-)
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Your body will thank you.

Your bone density will thank you, your bodies Ph levels will thank you which will in turn make your hormones thank you.

Not to mention, soda has ZERO nutritional value, in fact it's a deficit food.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    And I'm still going strong lol!!

Thought I would give in over Christmas day but I stuck to tea and water all day.

It's mad the response I have for putting this up on here. I can see alot of other people want to give up the fizzy pop too. I think it's such a simple thing to give - easy to change - but I hadn't realised there were so many bad side effects to it!! Headaches are gone now. And I feel so much better so it's definitely worth doing it. And hopefully it'll help me lose weight too!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    congrats on sticking with it. I gave up soda Dec. 2009. I just went cold turkey. Haven't missed it one bit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    THE HEADACHES!!!!!

I can't believe that my head is banging so much from not drinking diet coke!

Have already noticed I don't feel so bloated though. So thats good.

How long before the headaches and dizziness stop though?

Hang on in there it won't last too much longer. The headaches show just how bad that stuff is - a signal of detoxification. The other thing about coke is the amount of salt in it - I was amazed when I realised that. Thats what makes you thirsty for more. The stuff is pure crap and you are doing the right thing by stopping so just battle through the headaches and drink lots of water.

Ok, I have to step in at this point. The headaches have nothing to do with Diet soda or salt (of which most sodas have less sodium in them than normal drinking water.) It's caffeine withdrawal. You get the same symptoms from cutting out coffee or tea.

Drinking soda or not drinking soda is a personal choice, but I have to be honest. All of the "doom and gloom" about soda in this thread is completely false from a scientific standpoint. As for the OP, it's not specifically soda, but rather the amount of soda that causes teeth problems; it's an acidic thing. The same thing could happen to your teeth if you eat to s of strawberries, oranges, lemons, etc. there are a ton of acidic foods out there. Kudos for taking the steps to help your teeth, just be mindful that there could be a lot more out there that you need to keep an eye on, as well.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I had given it up 9 years ago when I was pregnant with my first. Every so often I crave a coke but then when I have it, I feel like my insides are being seared. Like you, I don't drink alcohol. Or coffee. So I'm used to being socially awkward. But you might find you get even more odd looks when you say you don't drink fizzy drinks. But stick to it and you'll feel so much better! Congratulations!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I quit coffee and has similar side effects. Except mine were worse. Naseua vomitting, pounding migraine type head aches sensitivity to light, constant fatigue I spent 2 weeks on the couch just sleeping... :( I think it is the caffiene and if not just the dependency alone you probably had on diet coke ;0 Really good job for quiting your body will be so much healthier!

Why would you quit coffee? So many healthy anti-oxidants, and it's great for your heart.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Why would you quit coffee? So many healthy anti-oxidants, and it's great for your heart.

I can't speak for that poster but I can say I don't drink coffee because of the caffeine. I really don't like anything with an "addictive" aspect to it. I don't even drink tea for that reason. Well, that and that I don't like the taste of either...