The 4 Hour Diet

Options
Hello MFP Friends:

I was just watching the Doctors and the author of the 4 Hour Diet was on. He was only on for a few minutes. I googled the book but didn't get too much information. I have never been one to buy diet books or look for "gimmicks" for weight loss as I have consulted with several doctors, including an endocrinologist. I have not seen a nutritionist yet.

I was wondering if anyone has read or utilized the techniques in this book.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I would appreciate your feedback.

If you're referring to the Tim Ferris book I would stay far away from it unless you like filling your head with mostly crap.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Don't know what it's about, but the only successful way to lose weight is to make it a lifestyle change. Diets are temporary.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Here's some info...it's called the "4 Hour Body"....can't imagine who has the kind of schedule to take 6 - 20 minute naps a day instead of sleeping 8 hours a night. Sounds crazy to me, but to each his own, right?

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/expert-reviews-timothy-ferriss-4-hour-body
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If it sounds like a gimmick, it is.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A friend was telling me about this last week. Something about eating certain foods at certain times a day. It sounded like every other fad out there.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The book is "The Four Hour Body"... I read it - and tried the diet for a couple weeks. To be honest - I thought the book had some very interesting facts/topics, but of course you have to take it with a grain of salt (as you do any published information, in my opinion). This diet did not work for me - I just could not wrap my head around the "no fruit" thing and incorporating so many beans (sorry - legumes) into my diet. My sister in law on the other hand saw some good results with it and lost somewhere around 17 pounds in a month.

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but just wanted to add my 2cents.... but give it a shot if you curious! what works for one doesnt necessarily work for others.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

If you're referring to the Tim Ferris book I would stay far away from it unless you like filling your head with mostly crap.

This.

There are no shortcuts.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Oh and just to add - I dont think its a gimmick at all. Tim Ferris is an extremist - and did a lot of experimenting with different things (including using supplements and ice baths and such)... In the end, it wasnt for me - but I thought it was an interesting read at least.
  • hkovich
    Options
    I read it and tried the diet very very briefly. It is terrible, unless you like eating huge amounts of eggs, no fruit and only very specific vegetables. Also, lots of sauerkraut. Ugh, it was gross :( I read reviews after trying it, and all the legitmate sources said it was crap. Also, his "4 hour body" examples are not really good examples because he used people who used to be really fit, and muscle memory plays a big part in how fast you regain your previous shape.

My Advice: Don't Do It! It is unsustainable and unhealthy.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Here's some info...it's called the "4 Hour Body"....can't imagine who has the kind of schedule to take 6 - 20 minutes a day instead of sleeping 8 hours a night. Sounds crazy to me, but to each his own, right?

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/expert-reviews-timothy-ferriss-4-hour-body

do yourself a favor, click the link. even if its just for a good chuckle....
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Oh and just to add - I dont think its a gimmick at all.

How do you define gimmick?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Here's some info...it's called the "4 Hour Body"....can't imagine who has the kind of schedule to take 6 - 20 minutes a day instead of sleeping 8 hours a night. Sounds crazy to me, but to each his own, right?

OMG! I think a 15-minute orgasm might become more pain than pleasure after about the first minute or two. Yikes!
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    There are no shortcuts.

Now that's a fact, Jack!!!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't believe they put this GARBAGE on a show called "The Doctors"... it's pure junk.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    I have the book. It's crap, don't buy it!! Just another way for someone to make money. DON'T BUY IT!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Oh and just to add - I dont think its a gimmick at all.

How do you define gimmick?

When i think of a gimmick, i think more of the "new and improved fast acting diet supplements/pills/juice/whatever".... I found this book to have some interesting information - especially the suggested workouts and such. Again - the diet portion is a bit extreme (for me), but it may work for some that have the discipline to be that strict with their diets.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i meant "The 4 Hour Body", guess I wasnt paying too much attention.:laugh:
  • Sidesteal
    Options

When i think of a gimmick, i think more of the "new and improved fast acting diet supplements/pills/juice/whatever".... I found this book to have some interesting information - especially the suggested workouts and such. Again - the diet portion is a bit extreme (for me), but it may work for some that have the discipline to be that strict with their diets.

I see. Could it work? Yes.

But to use an analogy, I could sell people a cute little red weight-loss hat. They can pay me $150.00 for the hat and the instructions are to put the hat on before bed, and the next day, eat at a calorie deficit and exercise, then repeat the next day/etc.

Is it gimmicky?

Not picking on you here as I don't mean to dwell on the semantics of "gimmicky". My point is just that sure, the book could work, but the information in the book is just unneccessary garbage. It will work if it causes people to eat in a deficit over time but that's the only reason -- not all the other crap he tries to insist on.
  • rml_16
    Options

I see. Could it work? Yes.

But to use an analogy, I could sell people a cute little red weight-loss hat. They can pay me $150.00 for the hat and the instructions are to put the hat on before bed, and the next day, eat at a calorie deficit and exercise, then repeat the next day/etc.

Is it gimmicky?

Not picking on you here as I don't mean to dwell on the semantics of "gimmicky". My point is just that sure, the book could work, but the information in the book is just unneccessary garbage. It will work if it causes people to eat in a deficit over time but that's the only reason -- not all the other crap he tries to insist on.

I think those people should give ME that $150. My diet is better than yours: Eat one green M&M every day and along with diet and exercise, you will lose weight. Guaranteed.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Don't know what it's about, but the only successful way to lose weight is to make it a lifestyle change. Diets are temporary.

I second this. Kick out your bad habits and keep building up your good habit repertoire for LIFE!