The 4 Hour Diet

Options

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I see. Could it work? Yes.

But to use an analogy, I could sell people a cute little red weight-loss hat. They can pay me $150.00 for the hat and the instructions are to put the hat on before bed, and the next day, eat at a calorie deficit and exercise, then repeat the next day/etc.

Is it gimmicky?

Not picking on you here as I don't mean to dwell on the semantics of "gimmicky". My point is just that sure, the book could work, but the information in the book is just unneccessary garbage. It will work if it causes people to eat in a deficit over time but that's the only reason -- not all the other crap he tries to insist on.

I see your point- and of course most weight loss plans/products out there seem to have profit as their #1 motive. I dunno - guess all I'm saying is I've read worse.

Oh and the chapter on the 15-minute orgasm was.... uh... interesting. lol
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have this book by Tim Ferris, and just wondered if anyone has tried it and ask, if they would be happy to share their experience with me?

Sarah :)
  • zippo32
    Options
    From the thread: TOPIC: The 4-Hour Body / Slow-Carb Diet

Anyone ever try this? The book, The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss sounds really interesting and by his own admittance, can be extreme in some areas. Some of it sounds like solid research on his part, but not the normal of calories in versus calories out and achieving a deficit. The idea of "slow carbs" vegetables, legumes, good fats, protein and supplements all sound promising, but I'm a bit hesitant to jump on the band wagon. I certainly like his idea of a once a week, "cheat or free" day which many plans advocate. Just wondering if anyone has tried his plan.

Thanks!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Here's some info...it's called the "4 Hour Body"....can't imagine who has the kind of schedule to take 6 - 20 minutes a day instead of sleeping 8 hours a night. Sounds crazy to me, but to each his own, right?

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/expert-reviews-timothy-ferriss-4-hour-body
    do yourself a favor, click the link. even if its just for a good chuckle....
    Comedy gold!

Here's the summary at the end...
    Hack or Quack?

Ferriss may make his living by “hacking the human body," as he puts it. But Stephen Barrett’s, MD, life work is exposing medical frauds as the owner and director of quackwatch.org. Barrett is a retired psychiatrist who resides near Chapel Hill, N.C.

Barrett has not read this book in its entirely but “it is clear that [Ferriss] is promising more than he can deliver,” he says.

Red flags for quackery include such broad claims as boosted immunity, Barrett says. “The amount of research it would take to show that any product or behavior would increase immunity in a practical way would be enormous and would take many years,” Barrett says.

To critics like Barrett, Ferriss says the proof is in the pudding. “It all works,” he writes in his book. “It can help you do what most people would consider superhuman."
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hola,

Right you have to remember this is an experiment Tim Ferriss did for a month. What works for one does not work for another! The book is pretty interesting but like others have said, you have to take it with a pinch of salt! If you're curious to find out if it works, there's only one way to find out! Good luck if you do it!!!! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    does anyone want to buy this?

brooklyn-bridge.jpg
  • zippo32
    Options
    There are other 4-Hour body threads on MFP boards. I am a fan of doing a search...............................
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    QUACKERY at its best! Don't buy it and don't be fooled by this junk.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've read it and don't think I could stick to the diet. I have started making sure I get atleast 20 gm porein at each meal. I also added lintels to my diet and love them. I feel fuller longer and am getting more fiber in my diet than ever before with out the gas most beans give you.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    does anyone want to buy this?

brooklyn-bridge.jpg

I kind of do.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    **** that guy
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't know what it's about, but the only successful way to lose weight is to make it a lifestyle change. Diets are temporary.

DIets don't have to be temporary. You can follow a diet as long as choose. In fact, many diets are meant to be followed for life.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense.

If you've tried traditional methods and they haven't worked then by all means give it a go. Don't make it your first, second, third, fourth or even fifth choice though.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Who has time for 4 hours? I want to go on the 2 hour body, or 2 hour diet. I think I can manage that.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't know what it's about, but the only successful way to lose weight is to make it a lifestyle change. Diets are temporary.

True that. Could not be any simpler than that!
  • jjjohnson31
    jjjohnson31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OMG! I think a 15-minute orgasm might become more pain than pleasure after about the first minute or two. Yikes!

I am willing to test that hypothesis…
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that sleeping for 20 minutes at a time mean's you'll never hit a REM cycle, which can be really bad for you, can't it?
  • iwannaloose
    iwannaloose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, but all I can tell you is my doctor told me it all comes to what you ate at the end of the day along with exercise to loose the weight. Even the dietician that I saw told our whole class the same thing. I have had more success doing MFP than I ever had in my whole entire life, as it is a life style change! Just like the Atkins diet, which was the rave, and the dietician told our class that high amounts of protein will shut your kidneys down, and look what happen to that guy, he is now dead, so what does that tell you! Everyone must do what they feel is right for them, and personally I stay away from any and all diets that are promoted in books and etc. Healthy eating habits and exercising is the safest and healthiest way to loose any amount of weight. And I only take advise from my doctor and my dietician.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, but all I can tell you is my doctor told me it all comes to what you ate at the end of the day along with exercise to loose the weight. Even the dietician that I saw told our whole class the same thing. I have had more success doing MFP than I ever had in my whole entire life, as it is a life style change! Just like the Atkins diet, which was the rave, and the dietician told our class that high amounts of protein will shut your kidneys down, and look what happen to that guy, he is now dead, so what does that tell you! Everyone must do what they feel is right for them, and personally I stay away from any and all diets that are promoted in books and etc. Healthy eating habits and exercising is the safest and healthiest way to loose any amount of weight. And I only take advise from my doctor and my dietician.
    Dr. Atkins, at more than 70 years old, died from hitting his head on pavement after slipping on ice. I don't think it was connected to his diet ...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do the four hour diet. The Golden Corral always kicks me out after about two. They're *kitten*.