Does anyone else get irritated by fad diets?

Options
I know I come across as narky in here much of the time, but something about the idea of "dieting" in general makes me twitchy. I know it doesn't matter to me what other people do with their bodies, but I find myself getting really irate by people advocating fad diets.

I really really, absolutely 100% believe in eat less, move more. It works. Anything else is complicating a very simple equation. Yes you need to eat roughly the right amounts of stuff, but those amounts are entirely dependent on your lifestyle. There's no prescription.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    More like humored
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    A lot of people make their living complicating the simple. Send me $19.99 and I'll tell you how they do it! Act now to get in on this profitable and sustainable market the government and healthcare industry doesn't want you to know about!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I know I come across as narky in here much of the time, but something about the idea of "dieting" in general makes me twitchy. I know it doesn't matter to me what other people do with their bodies, but I find myself getting really irate by people advocating fad diets.

I really really, absolutely 100% believe in eat less, move more. It works. Anything else is complicating a very simple equation. Yes you need to eat roughly the right amounts of stuff, but those amounts are entirely dependent on your lifestyle. There's no prescription.

I don't like fad diets either, but I believe in eating more, lose more. IN fact, i eat about 3000 calories a day.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed at the people pushing them like they are the new found religion.

You know another fad line I hate.....
    I really really, absolutely 100% believe in eat less, move more. It works.

Do you have any idea how many of us fat people hear that line ALL the time? Do you know how many stop eating all together and move till their hearts give out? Something about the "eat less, move more" idea doesn't really flow well. A body needs energy in order to function.

Michael Phelps has to eat more than 9000 calories to keep up with his pace. Even on this website, if you have a higher active lifestyle, they recommend a higher number of calories. Again... this totally blows the "eat less, move more" concept out of water.

The line should be "Eat smarter and move more".
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed at the people pushing them like they are the new found religion.

You know another fad line I hate.....
    I really really, absolutely 100% believe in eat less, move more. It works.

Do you have any idea how many of us fat people hear that line ALL the time? Do you know how many stop eating all together and move till their hearts give out? Something about the "eat less, move more" idea doesn't really flow well. A body needs energy in order to function.

Michael Phelps has to eat more than 9000 calories to keep up with his pace. Even on this website, if you have a higher active lifestyle, they recommend a higher number of calories. Again... this totally blows the "eat less, move more" concept out of water.

The line should be "Eat smarter and move more".

Eat less doesn't mean eat less than anyone else in the world. It means eat less than you were when you were putting the weight on.

If you want to lose weight, that is what you need to do.

Obviously if you want to achieve a gold medal at the olympics you need to eat to fuel your workout, but pointing out to the average person how much athletes who aren't looking to lose weight, but are aiming for optimum athletic performance while putting their bodies under an inconceivable amount of strain eat isn't actually that helpful.

You don't get fat eating a healthy amount and doing enough exercise. You get fat when there is an imbalance, and for people trying to lose weight, that is what needs addressing.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Fad diets take advantage of people that are and have fought obesity for many years. They throw them a lifeline that has nothing at the end to keep them afloat. Our word is full of scams today - to buy things, invest in things, believe that you won a million dollars, and ability to lose 20 pounds in 20 days without exercise!!

I am saddened by the inhumanity of the people that push these fad and fake diets.

I also believe that different people have different metabolisms and different people respond to different ratios of carb/fat/protein.

If it sounds to good to be true, it is!! Losing weight is easy for some, but not for those that really need to lose weight! It's hard work and lifestyle/lifetime changes and there's no quick fix that's going to make it happen.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I advocate the turn the darn tv off and get off your *kitten* diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Love it!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    But HCG is still good, right? :tongue:
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    But HCG is still good, right? :tongue:

YES!! Just dont forget to mix it in your diet shake 1st. :flowerforyou:
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LOL to mara:)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I really really, absolutely 100% believe in eat less, move more. It works. Anything else is complicating a very simple equation.

I couldn't agree more with this statement! I think a lot of people make weight loss much more complicated than it needs to be.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Every time a thread comes up, asking about some new fad, it always amazes me the number of people unaware of Google. Typing the name of the fad plus "myth" can clear these things up quickly.

Then again, perhaps they're just looking for that one person that always shows up in those threads to enable them. "My mom/cousin/co-worker did it! It rocks!"
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Double Love It!!!! That was my diet!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I hate fad diets, but I wouldn't necessarily say "eat less, move more" - in fact, I probably eat more actual food than I did when I was obese because I can eat a lot more food when it is wholesome, nutritious stuff rather than overly processed, heavily modified crap (example - 3 servings of carrots is a lot more food than 1/2 of a cookie but is equal the calories).

I think the key is to eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drink plenty of water, and move your body.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're not alone here. There are those who "get it" and those that keep jumping from idiotic "diet" to idiotic "diet". Makes the people on the "gets it" side very very cynical.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    The HCCG diet really angers me, I can't explain it.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't get those weight loss "plans" like Weight Watchers and Allie. First of all, taking a pill isn't going to help do anything for your weight. Or the lasers that magically suck the oils and fats out of your body. Umm.. sure. You believe that and I'll sell you some oceanfront property in Arkansas!

I don't understand how Weight Watchers assigns their points to things. Like now, fruits and veggies are zero points. But there are some fruits very high in sugars, regardless if they are natural, they still have a caloric intake amount. Bananas are high as heck. Eating tons of fruit on WW, I couldn't lose the weight and I was moving, too. This has been the only plan that has worked for me and I'm blessed and grateful!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I enjoy snorting Shakeology mix. :drinker:
  • Butterfly3730
    Options

LOL Love it!